4Likes
  • 1 Post By kg6mov
  • 1 Post By Kolak
  • 2 Post By kg6mov

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
mswheezie

Shocks for Jeep ZJ with up country suspension

Hi all. I have jeep ZJ with up country suspension and this is my first shock replacement I have done on it. I have read many conflicting suggestions on the web as to what shocks to replace with. Just looking for you basic road shocks. I dont go off roading or anything like that. Anyone have a part number or suggestions on a replacement. I have read Sachs Boge were original but any suggestions or part numbers on front and rear shocks would help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 05:29 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Bilsteins are comparable to the original sachs-boge. That'd be my choice.
Kolak likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any quality brand name shock will do the job. Cheap shocks are cheap for a reason.

DoetschTech DT-3000, BDS, OME and Bilstein 4600 are all good choices. I would never put any Monroe, SkyJacker, or Rancho shocks on any of my vehicles, but some people do like the adjustable Rancho 9000.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

My 96 Laredo that had Up Country, came with Bilstein 4600s.. The 97 Limited w/ Up Country I had, had unidentifiable black shocks..
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 12:17 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The Up Country equipped ZJs came with high pressure monotube shocks so I'd definitely suggest staying with a shock of that type so you don't step backwards in terms of ride quality/control, handling and fade resistance.

I agree the Bilstein 4600 series would be the perfect choice. They have a lifetime warranty too.

If you'd like pricing, you can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected] - I'm a Bilstein dealer
BlaketheSnake likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM
BlaketheSnake

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The Up Country equipped ZJs came with high pressure monotube shocks so I'd definitely suggest staying with a shock of that type so you don't step backwards in terms of ride quality/control, handling and fade resistance.

I agree the Bilstein 4600 series would be the perfect choice. They have a lifetime warranty too.

If you'd like pricing, you can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected] - I'm a Bilstein dealer
Nick,
I wish I'd known about you when I first got my ZJ...I could only find that Monroe Shocks offered any for the Up Country package.
They do ride great though.

You've made my Jeeps Happy my friend!

Blake Mize

For Great Deals and Customer Service on your Jeep, Drop Nick a Line!

Kolak Performance

Tread lightly or we all will be tree hugging hikers!
2006 LJ Rubicon Black 33 BFG, 3.5" Metal Cloak
1998 ZJ 5.2V8 Deep Pearl Slate w/Up Country Suspension
1988 SJ416 White

Last edited by BlaketheSnake; 08-14-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 PM
blkdrgn42
1994 ZJ 

Garage
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have a similar question that it looks like would be able to be answered easily here.

94 Laredo I6. Put Bilstein 4600's on last year. I was thinking of putting the OME lift on, but I'm not sure if the 4600's would be fine with that small of a lift or if I would need longer shocks (5100's or the shocks that can be bought with the OME lift).

I see 4600's getting recommended here for the Up Country suspension, which I believe is about the same amount of lift as the OME lift. Is this the case, or do I need to upgrade the shocks to something with a longer throw? I would hate to take the 4600's off with only a year or wear on them, so I probably won't lift if that's the case. Not looking to do anything major off road, but just improve the stance and not have to worry about incompatible equipment if I do find myself on a trail.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2019, 11:12 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

OME is 2.5" over stock, and at that height, with the swaybar disconnected, you can overextend a stock length shock. You want the 5100's of correct length to go with the OME stuff if you're gonna wheel it. On road you'd probably be fine for a while.

Upcountry is 1" over stock.
Kolak and blkdrgn42 like this.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in