Sagging headliner - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 07-25-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
ZJJeepers1972

Sagging headliner

My 96 ZJ has a headliner that is sagging really bad. I have tried the Permatex adhesive spray multiple times on it and this adhesive will not hold it. I have even tried to let it get real tacky and then apply the headliner. Day or so later its sagging again. So needless to ay im spraying the headliner like 3xs a week. The heat doesnt seem to help either.
Are there any other adhesives that will definitely hold it?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

This topic shows my headliner replacement. It may have useful information for your problem.

Has ALL of the old crumbled foam been scraped away?

No adhesive will hold w/o first removing the old foam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old 07-26-2019, 12:05 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

When I bought the material to replace mine 3 or 4 years ago they sold me on the $8 high-temp headliner adhesive. I already had spray fabric adhesive I told them I was going to use. They convinced me that it wouldn't hold due to the heat. Well, the $8 stuff didn't last a year and started coming loose even before it got exposed to full summer heat. I cleaned the old adhesive off pretty well too, using I forget which solvent. The backer board seemed bare.

So the answer might be "no". The factory stuff might be hot when applied, or get baked, or be a two-part with some sort of enhancer added in the spray gun.

post #4 of 34 Old 07-26-2019, 12:11 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

OK, I looked at wingless' thread after I posted and I see that didn't remove that foam backing tape. I simply scraped the crumbling foam off and wiped it with solvent. Doh!
post #5 of 34 Old 07-26-2019, 06:41 AM
KiloWatts

1996 ZJ 

I've done this 3 times. The 3rd time I paid an upholsterer to do it. It always falls off within the year.

Next time I'm just going to spray it with bedliner and be done with the madness.
JAGJAGUSA likes this.

1996 4.0 L6 RWD
post #6 of 34 Old 07-26-2019, 07:24 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
This topic shows my headliner replacement. It may have useful information for your problem.

Has ALL of the old crumbled foam been scraped away?

No adhesive will hold w/o first removing the old foam.
Mine has been intact w/o sagging for two years, after peeling off the old crumbled OEM foam and tape. That was the second application, the first w/o removing the foam and tape fell right away.

Mine is retained w/ 3M Super 77 Aerosol Spray Adhesive. It works fine remaining outside in the cool southern Florida sun and tropical temperatures.

The headliner board on mine was modified by adding a hard smooth laminated fiberglass / epoxy shell so the non-foam-backed Toray Ultrasuede HP headliner fabric I selected would look good and not show the pressed cracks that would be hidden by foam-backed headliner fabric.

On mine I did the overhead console, both visors and the sound bar in matching fabric.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 AM
KiloWatts

1996 ZJ 

I wonder if it also matters how the Jeep is kept. Mine lives outside and sits in the sun all day.

1996 4.0 L6 RWD
post #8 of 34 Old 07-26-2019, 08:16 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I did mine 3-4 years ago and it's held up fine in Texas summer heat. Scraped all the old stuff off and glued new down. Used regular contact cement in the quart can from Lowe's. Applied it with a cheap spray gun I bought at Harbor Freight. Cleanup with xylene, again from Lowes. $17 for the gun $8 for the glue. My experience is that none of the aerosol sprays work well.
Attached Images

Benthal8 likes this.
post #9 of 34 Old 07-26-2019, 02:57 PM
wkbear

1995 ZJ 

Did mine last April. Used 3M interior adhesive and foam backed cloth from Joann's Fabric that matched very well. It sits outside all the time and no sagging. I live in Western NC, it can get pretty hot in the summer.

1995 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 5.2, 249, stock (for now)
post #10 of 34 Old 07-27-2019, 01:14 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

With my '00 XJ I paid somebody to do it.
Don't get me wrong. Would have loved to do it myself.
Bragging rights, save a couple bucks, etc.
Problem is thinking I would go through all the trouble and not do a good job.
$125 with me taking out the headliner and dropping it off to the guy.
Thinking that might be the friend and family price though.
He is a customer of the auto parts store I work at.
On the plus side he is the go to guy in the area for all the classic car upholstery work.
IMO somethings are sometimes better off left to the experts.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-04-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
ZJJeepers1972

Wingless thats a awesome job!! You did it right. I greatly appreciate you reaching out.

I am thinking i will take the easier route and just remove it clean it and like KiloWatts mentioned, hit it with some bed liner spray and be done with it.

Thank you guys for your input and experience on this
AlfieD likes this.
post #12 of 34 Old 08-04-2019, 07:34 PM
peter_zabriskie

1997 ZJ 

Good information. I had just bought a can of spray adhesive from NAPA. I see now I am in for more work than I had planned. Thank you for the heads up. I will go get an adult beverage and plan my afternoon.

Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute.M.Mead
post #13 of 34 Old 08-11-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
ZJJeepers1972

Hi guys

I probably need to direct this question to Wingless or of course, anyone else.
Do you think this headliner body would withstand a light pressure wash to remove the factory foam??
Then i could come back with the bed-liner spray...
Thank you guys
post #14 of 34 Old 08-12-2019, 07:38 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The headliner board looks to be made of pressed fiberglass.

It will probably disintegrate from a pressure washer.

Just peel off the sheet of tape used to retain the now-crumbled foam to the board, as-shown in my image.

post #15 of 34 Old 08-12-2019, 10:14 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

There are two versions of the ZJ headliner backer board. My old 93 and wingless' 94 have the compressed fiberglass version. I assume the early ZJs got this version. It's weak and a bit of a pain to work with. The other, I'm assuming later, version is a rigid foam core with smooth hard fiberglass on both sides. As wingless said the early version would probably disintegrate with any kind of pressure washing. The later version would probably do okay since folks out there report using various wire brushes and such to clean it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in