A Sad Update - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
mr_user

A Sad Update

Hello to all,

I've been so busy with work and school recently that I haven't been frequenting the board much or even playing with the jeep for that matter. Unfortuneatly my first post after awhile isn't a particularly happy one. Seeing as how I'll be commuting to and from school next year as well as holding a job which requires driving about 100 miles daily, I've reached the sad conclusion that the Jeep just isn't practical enough and will have to go. It's been a great time but my ZJ is officially on the market as of this post I suppose. I plan on eBaying it and listing it locally, however if anyone is interested at all feel free to shoot me a PM.

Anyways it's been fun around here and though a Jeep won't likely be my next vehicle my ZJ is a great truck that I love - just too costly and impractical for now.

I've been debating a starting price but I'm looking to get somewhere around 5500 to 6000. Never had a serious issue, one other owner who only had it until 20k (my uncle), and still drives very well for 6.5" - no DW or anything serious.

Matt

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 08:30 AM
hckypro19ja

sorry to hear its gotta go, but when it comes to having a practical vehicle, jeep isnt the first thing that comes to mind. Good luck on the sale.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 AM
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

I do not know how many miles you have in it and what plans you have as far as getting another DD.
It seems that you have your mind already made on selling it, though you could consider getting a DD and keep the heep as a second vehicle. I know it is not for everyone, but once you add up what you have spent and what you will get out of it...
I am all for having a second vehicle than can get me to worj when there is bad weather and I do not want to ruin the nice one, or the primary is broken and could not fix it in a hurry etc...
But if you do sell. good luck. It seems like a nice well done ride you have there.

_o o o o_
|_Jeep_|
(OlllllllO)
[] ---o-[]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 09:33 AM
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Sorry to hear you're getting rid of the Jeep Matt - it was a good build.

What about storing it somewhere while you're at school and getting a cheapo little beater to run around in?

Jim Karlin
"How the heck do you get there?"
"Duh! Big RED Jeep!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best customer service in the states:

or

96 ZJ Laredo
5" lift, Claytons, KOR radiator support, rear bumper, steering brace, etc, etc, etc.

04 WJ Overland
Clean.... :D
post #5 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2020 FSJ Gladiator 

You'll be back Matt

'21 JT Rubicon Diesel

-
-

post #6 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 12:37 PM
SteelBlue_WJ

yes matt ryan is right, they always come back... take dean for instance, we cant get rid of him! and man have we tried!

hope to see you back some day and good luck Matt! just remember when you do come back to get in a WJ... it's just better on our side

Bobby

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
post #7 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 PM
PA 5.9

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedycat3
I do not know how many miles you have in it and what plans you have as far as getting another DD.
It seems that you have your mind already made on selling it, though you could consider getting a DD and keep the heep as a second vehicle. I know it is not for everyone, but once you add up what you have spent and what you will get out of it...
I am all for having a second vehicle than can get me to worj when there is bad weather and I do not want to ruin the nice one, or the primary is broken and could not fix it in a hurry etc...
But if you do sell. good luck. It seems like a nice well done ride you have there.
I second this. Buy a used Honda or something that gets great gas mileage and keep the ZJ as a second vehicle. Or swing by New Jersey and sell it to me!
post #8 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 03:53 PM
MidniteSquirrel

I know how matt feels... I'll be honest, I've thought about doing the same exact thing.

The problem is, I need the comfort and cargo room to get to school still, and still deal with the weather conditions that the great ol' Winter likes to throw at us now and then. Looked up prices on an economical car... and the extra money I spend on gas now is still less than what it'd end up running me to pick up a car right now. I wouldn't make my money back. So really, just not worth it to me...

Hopefully it is to Matt, but I'd double check before getting rid of that mean machine of his. Will the extra money spent on gas be greater than a car payment?

2002 WJ - I6

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
post #9 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
nierace

2003 WJ 

You mean a jeep with 33" tires isnt practical with gas at $3.75 per gallon?

I say find a old nissan sentra $500 special and commute in that

Nickerdoodle
03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
35" BFGoodrich KM2

North East Offroad Club

post #10 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 PM
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteSquirrel
Will the extra money spent on gas be greater than a car payment?
Not a chance...

Say you did buy a little beater for $2500 somewhere, do you know how long it will take to make that up in the difference of gas mileage, atleast a year or more. Your not going to get anywhere near what it's worth to you and you will regret it once it's gone. Once most people get a mindset they want another car, it's pretty much all you can think about until it happens, the smart ones don't take the loss on the sale or trade in. I guess my point is don't get rid of the jeep just for the sole reason of gas mileage. If you can swing it, go ahead and get another little cheap car, but do it to keep your jeep as a weekend warrior and an occasional driver if something happens to the car.

Just don't want you to get sellers remorse

Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
post #11 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 05:52 PM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
You'll be back Matt
actaully you should not leave.

2013 FR-S
post #12 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
MidniteSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik
Not a chance...

Say you did buy a little beater for $2500 somewhere, do you know how long it will take to make that up in the difference of gas mileage, atleast a year or more. Your not going to get anywhere near what it's worth to you and you will regret it once it's gone. Once most people get a mindset they want another car, it's pretty much all you can think about until it happens, the smart ones don't take the loss on the sale or trade in. I guess my point is don't get rid of the jeep just for the sole reason of gas mileage. If you can swing it, go ahead and get another little cheap car, but do it to keep your jeep as a weekend warrior and an occasional driver if something happens to the car.

Just don't want you to get sellers remorse

That's exactly why I asked the question. It's what I wanted others to realize as well when it comes to ditching the Jeep. Now I'd say if this was a permanent situation that he'd be workin' at for 4+ years... then I could see it. If it's something temporary, then I can't see justifying it.

2002 WJ - I6

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
post #13 of 17 Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
mr_user

Thanks for the support, I really have no choice in the matter. I love the ZJ and hope to build up another rig once I get the funds however for the time being I feel like it's the right choice. I also have to pay in full for whatever I get next so I'm a bit torn as to what I should be looking for. With the money I've saved plus the money from the Jeep and a small loan if needed I'm hoping to get (dare I say it) an Audi S4 from around '99-'02.

For those suggesting I keep the Jeep around, an insurance bill on top of car payments and a year long lease I just signed down in Greenville would be overwhelming for only a small benefit. I figure snow won't really be a factor down in Carolina so the Quattro case should suffice for the time being.

I'm gonna miss the Jeep scene for a little while but I need to do what's practical. If anyone knows a potential buyer let them know, it really is a nice truck.

Thanks
Matt

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
post #14 of 17 Old 06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Matt...
I pay PIP and PD only for my XJ and it is only $42 per month, and this is here in Miami, where breathing air is more expensive than in in the Carolinas.
Ohh... and the little Suzuki cars can be had for cheap all day long, and you can just put it in a garbage can once you are done with it....

Good luck with the Aud, even though I'd go for VW diesel if cost and gas mileage was a concern.... almost 40 miles a galon are really nice....

_o o o o_
|_Jeep_|
(OlllllllO)
[] ---o-[]

post #15 of 17 Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
SteelBlue_WJ

you get a break on insurance for multiple cars... the ZJ (or which ever is the most to insure) can be listed as a weekend vehicle. but it sounds like it's put in stone... we'll miss you round here! we know you'll be back. you cant get rid of the bug once you get it... ask ryan

Bobby

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in