Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Roll Call - Whose VIC is still working?

8K views 100 replies 48 participants last post by  RDC_ZJ 
#1 ·
I'm just curious as to the lifespan of these things. I've had 2 now that have blown up, and I know many, many others have too. So, whose VICs are still working? And did you do any repairs to them?

#2 ·
No issues with mine after reflowing the “low coolant” pin. It even told me when one the the three bulbs was burnt out in the third brake light a few weeks ago.

#7 ·
So far mine is still working. I've not had any issues.

#8 ·
Mine is original 1994 with 87k on the clock. Doesn't work. I pulled 2 out of the junkyard in the last 6 months. Also not working.

I even went as far as replacing all of the capacitors, but I wasn't too diligent with my soldering and have a crossed connection somewhere. When I plug in my VIC, a component starts smoking. I'll troubleshoot eventually.

The long and short of it is, they aren't very robust and will eventually need some TLC. Or do what many have done and replace it with a bin/organizer or some kind

#12 ·
the one in mine when I bought it wouldn't even come on, after cracking it open it looks like someone threw their entire cup of coffee or coke on the circuit board. Stole one from a 5.9 in a junkyard and reflowed every pin and worked great since 2013.

#16 ·
Except that is still recognizes when the coolant overflow is low - and it still chimes at me for that. The sensor is fine, I'm sure it just needs to be fixed, but it's a big job for a minor nusiance, and the VIC hasn't totally grenaded yet.

#19 ·
The one in my old 93 is original. One of the capacitors puked about five years ago and the goo ate one of the traces on the circuit board. I replaced the capacitors and fixed the trace and it's been working fine since. 299K miles on it. It even started showing the coolant sensor warning, and the issue actually was a bad sensor. I like it, even more so now that my sister is the primary driver. Nice to know it'll yell at her if any fluids get low or a bulb goes out.

#21 ·
mine works, other than once in a while it throws a low coolant warning or the clock resets when the battery is slightly low. I changed all the caps last year and reflowed all the connectors

#23 ·
Had to bypass the stupid Lights out module (slightly bummed as that would have been nice) and occasionally get a complaint about the 4wd switch, but works fine (original was DOA when I bought the thing maybe 4 years ago - 2016 ish)

Frankly though, the service reminder after X miles and the clock are the most useful bits for me.

#27 ·
I’ve got a good spare on the shelf, and more in bins, but the original one for the pig filled the cabin with smoke and was promptly clawed out the dash roadside. It’s also in a bin.

The Vic in the white jeep works, but the lom is looted because everything is LED. I think it was complaining if something else I don’t want to think about . . .

I’ve got the 4 pin 4wd switch for a zj in the 242 in my XJ, but it doesn’t have a front diff, as it’s a factory 2wd. Real blast to play around with in lo.

#28 ·
Still on my original one in my '93 (~190K mi). A few years back I kept getting "Service 4WD Switch" error and re-soldering the pins on the connectors didn't really help. Since tapping on the face seemed to help temporarily, I added some extra pads to the places where the center bezel presses on it, and it hasn't happened since. In the past month or so, it's begun re-setting itself every few days so I'll have to take a look at that.

I picked up a spare at the junkyard earlier this year and that one works, so I always have a backup. Just has one small blemish (melted from cigarette ash) on the plastic cover but I can swap that.

#30 ·
Mine is working good but it's not the original one from my 93. I replaced mine with one from a 94 that didn't have the oil level sensor. My oil pan was replaced at some point and doesn't have the sensor. I got tired of it constantly telling me to check my oil

#32 ·
The VIC in my second 93 started faltering 2 months ago. Finally reflowed the pins last nightwhen I installed a Bluetooth head unit into ol red. It was nice to have the clock and date back and no crazy flashing. That thing could get bright a split second before everything crapped out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.