Replacing Power Window Regulator repair/Manual Regulator? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

Replace Power Window Motor/Convert to Manual Regulator?

My driver's window motor has died. Is it practical to replace the motor, or would I need to get a complete electrical regulator assembly?

Any one have experience converting an electric window to a manual hand crank window?

AlamoJeeper
- 1995 4.0L NP249 - mostly stock
- Link to rehabbing my 1995 ZJ.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

To get back on the road, I ordered an AC Delco motor from Rock Auto. It's supposed to be here on Friday. I got a new motor instead of going to pick and pull because I only want to do this door once. And pick and pull is about forty miles away.

Apparently the motors are mirror images for the left and right side of the car. The same motor is used for both the left front and left rear windows. I'll be winging it on attaching the motor to the regulator and operating the motor to put the regulator in an orientation to put it back in the door.

I should have taken a photo of the motor regulator assembly before I removed the motor from the regulator. When I removed the motor from its mounting plate, the preloaded circular spring snapped the motor mounting plate around the regulator portion. I'm fortunate I didn't a lose a finger tip.

I'm open to coaching from folks with experience installing a motor. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg  

AlamoJeeper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2020, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

DHL brought my new motor today. Twenty-four month warranty. Generic instructions in English, French, and Spanish. For about the same cost as driving 65 miles and buying one from Pick and Pull with a thirty day warranty. I do use pick and pull for things like up country springs, skid plates, tow hooks, etc. When I'm on that side of town, I wander through to see what's new.

The instructions say to immobilize the motor mounting plate with a heavy clamp or bolt and nut before removing the motor to prevent the counterbalance spring from trying to amputate part(s) of fingers. I'll try to post photos of the motor replacement, since I couldn't find much on the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
4.jpg  

AlamoJeeper

post #4 of 4 Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I think everyone makes that mistake the first time they do that style window motor. On some cars it's worse and the plate will swing around and shatter the window.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in