replacing fuel pump - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
plastic55

replacing fuel pump

replacing fuel pump. I had a hard time removing nut that holds pump to tank. I can't get nut to thread back with or without fuel pump in place. Has anyone had to replace nut before and if so where did you buy? I have looked at the threads and there is nothing wrong with nut or tank. Nut seems to have shrunk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

The nut?? Do you mean the large plastic cover/sealer? Should be white

95 zj Laredo, 249tc, 206k miles, 5.2L v8, KOR light bar, Kenwood BT555U Head unit
post #3 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 11:52 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Junk yard or dealer for the plastic ring.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Try using a heat gun or hair drier on the nylon ring to heat it up away from the tank. Ahead of time put some vasoline, dielectric grease, or teflon tape on the top of the tank threads while screwing on the nylon ring while it's still warm. Once you get it started it should go on a whole lot easier while it's expanded and has something to slip/glid on.

If that doesn't work check the threads and they're pretty easy to file down if you see any cross-threads/imperfections at least in the tank part.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #5 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 04:50 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Believe it or not there is a tool for that nut, but a onetime use wouldn't justify buying it.
heres the nut. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Here's the tool. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+tool&_sacat=0

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #6 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Haynes has a photo of a large pair of channel locks being used to open that retaining ring.

I think the special tool is really intended to be used in applications where you're getting at the pump through an access panel in the floor of the Jeep. I can see how it would really help then. But if you've actually dropped the tank out, then you've obviously got all the access you need to attack the ring from any angle with any tools you have to hand.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
plastic55

I was thinking of dropping in hot water before assembling but I can also use a heat gun. I didn't know what plastic it was. Nylon process at around 550 degree. I work at a injection molding plant and nylon although glass filled is what we process most. Lubricant on threads are also a good.
Thanks for responses. I'll update when done.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ahh, now I see why you have "plastic" in your user name!

That nylon must make "tough nut" since I didn't have the proper tools and was able to tap it off with a big blunt screwdriver on the ridges w/o breaking it after being on there 17 years. Anti-seize is another lubricant on the threads you may want to consider but dielectric grease seems to be thinner.

PS. good find coralman and I was having problems finding that nut at any online parts store.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #9 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Ahh, now I see why you have "plastic" in your user name!

That nylon must make "tough nut" since I didn't have the proper tools and was able to tap it off with a big blunt screwdriver on the ridges w/o breaking it after being on there 17 years. Anti-seize is another lubricant on the threads you may want to consider but dielectric grease seems to be thinner.

PS. good find coralman and I was having problems finding that nut at any online parts store.
Thats how I have always done it. Gently tap it loose with a screwdriver. It can be temperamental reinstalling it. The main thing is making sure the gasket stays in place and doesn't get pinched.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

When I had to drop mine several times the nut was starting to look pretty rough, the tool would have been nice to have,and I hate beating on stuff. Gently tapping wasn't going to loosen it the fiest time.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #11 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I carefully used a very large pipe wrench along with easy heating with a heat gun removing the retaining ring. I then thoroughly cleaned up the threads on the tank and the ring, and thought it'd be an easy job to thread it back. No, it wasn't

I ended up using grease (IIRC super- slippery assembly grease meant to be used on plastic sewer pipe connections that have rubber seals), which enabled me to thread it back on. I was surprised it was fairly hard to get it to thread on though.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #12 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

weird mine came off super easy
post #13 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Zjrookie
1998 ZJ 

I used the strap wrench and also done the good ole blunt object and hammer and never had an issue
post #14 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
plastic55

I was doing errands today when I passed a dealership. New retaining ring was $14.50 plus tax. All plastic parts now in cars have a emblem that tells you what plastic is used. 95% of what we make at work is under the hood. The new part has HDPE stamped on it. High Density Polyethylene. HDPE melt is around 250F to 350F depending on manufacture. The new ring was still tight so I did the hot water. I checked flexibility before and after the hot water. - looser than original but still tight. It was much more flexible warm. It very easily went on the fuel tank. I did lubricate the threads on the tank. I tapped the ring on with a blunt piece of steel that I also used to remove the ring. Since the melting point of HDPE is so low I was a little leery of the heat gun. Just a little too much heat and you will distort the ring. Original ring has no emblem. Can't tell if original is nylon. Thanks for the responses.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

What ever you do, make sure your seal (I forgot exactly) is properly in the tank before screwing that nut on. I didn't do that, when I filled up one day, gas came bubbling out. Ran the tank dry, dropped it, and found the seal needed to be reset. Can't tell you exactly cause I don't remember but make sure you take your time

Just trying to keep her goin'!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in