Remote oil filter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Wolfeman1992

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Remote oil filter

Just a random thought, would a s10/blazer factory remote filter mount work on our Jeeps? If so which engines?

94 ZJ 4.5" on 31s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 08:51 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

You can get remote filter adapters for your Jeep.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #3 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Wolfeman1992

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
You can get remote filter adapters for your Jeep.
Thanks for answering, it was just a random thought but good to know it'll work

94 ZJ 4.5" on 31s

post #4 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman1992 View Post
Thanks for answering, it was just a random thought but good to know it'll work

94 ZJ 4.5" on 31s
I recently installed a transdapt unit. Im working through oil leak issues now. ALL the fitting and plugs leaked right from the start even using copious amounts of teflon tape.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
This is the kit I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did also need to get an extra filter thread adapter as one is used to attach the adapter to the block

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

eventually I would like to do a round oil cooler (not sure the exact name) like this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331000/

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wolfeman1992

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Orings maybe?

94 ZJ 4.5" on 31s
post #7 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
I beieve the leak in the factory adapter was due to wear and/or damage to e mating surface. The only oring in this kit is the adapter to the block. All the barb fittings and pipe plugs are teflon taped and all leak. I need to make time to call Transdapt. In the mean time I am on the hunt for some TiteSeal (aviation sealant putty). Its hands down the best sealant I have ever used.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #8 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 01:49 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Looks like the GM 4.3 remote cooler adapter won't work on our engines. Those GM engines use an oil filter adapter that attaches with two bolts from the factory, and the remote adapter bolts to that location with two longer bolts.

My turbo car has had an oil cooler sandwich adapter on it since it left the factory (was a police car). It has never leaked. I think you might just need to get a higher quality adapter. These look good:

Moroso Adapter

Canton Adapter

Also, it looks like some of the reviews for the Trans-Dapt parts mentioned that the NPT threads weren't cut right. Might be worth a couple minutes to chase them with a tap. I also prefer the liquid teflon paste sealer to tape, but that might just be personal preference. I think it seals better and it less likely to get junk in your lines.

I also don't trust that push-loc hose for hot oil. I've heard of it failing at higher temps and pressures.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Looks like the GM 4.3 remote cooler adapter won't work on our engines. Those GM engines use an oil filter adapter that attaches with two bolts from the factory, and the remote adapter bolts to that location with two longer bolts.

My turbo car has had an oil cooler sandwich adapter on it since it left the factory (was a police car). It has never leaked. I think you might just need to get a higher quality adapter. These look good:

Moroso Adapter

Canton Adapter

Also, it looks like some of the reviews for the Trans-Dapt parts mentioned that the NPT threads weren't cut right. Might be worth a couple minutes to chase them with a tap. I also prefer the liquid teflon paste sealer to tape, but that might just be personal preference. I think it seals better and it less likely to get junk in your lines.

I also don't trust that push-loc hose for hot oil. I've heard of it failing at higher temps and pressures.

Transdapt says no more than 3 wraps of teflon tape. I did at least double that. Thats why Im looking at that aircraft sealant. I would prefer liquid over the tape but I was working with what i had at the moment.

I did make a rookie mistake and used 1/2 inch heater hose as the length of hose they included wasnt long enough. That ended up with me on the side of the road with 6 quarts of oil on the ground. I replaced that with 1/2 inch fuel injection hose. It petroleum rated and if I ever see enough pressure to blow it out I have bigger issues on my hands.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #10 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 02:30 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Good deal. The issue with the push-loc hose has been that regular push-loc hose is rated to something like 200 degrees and 250 psi. But not at the same time. Pressure rating drops with temperature. I saw some racers using it for transmission hoses and have it pop off the barbed fitting when it got really hot. Push-loc barbs are sharper than normal because they are not supposed to use a clamp. If you use a clamp on them it can damaged the hose. The Trans Dapt kit you sent the link to uses push-loc hose based on the pictures.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
And I do run clamps. During the initial install and testing I had a hose blow off in the driveway. (some trial. More error)

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #12 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
BTW I have pics of all this. I have been meaning to get them updated on my build page but Ive been too busy with attempting to buy a house.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #13 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 PM
paulvon

Had a filter that worked for a year then one of the hoses started to leak on a drive.

Make sure to keep your eye out for leaks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1997 ZJ 4.0 L - Upgraded to heavy 93 sway bar
2004 WJ 4.7 L - 2 1/2" lift
2011 KK 3.7 L
post #14 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 04:27 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvon View Post
Make sure to keep your eye out for leaks

Her name is Puddles for a reason. If she isnt leaking shes empty

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #15 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

For threaded connections I use "Monster" brand PTFE tape that I buy at my local Menards. Unlike regular teflon tape, it actually is reliable for keeping leaks from happening. I get paid for no leaks, I get to do it over for free if it leaks. When a teflon paste is called for the answer is Hercules Mega-loc.
ALWAYS lube o-ring connections unless you have the time to do it twice.

GW

"The Dude Abides"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in