1Likes
  • 1 Post By RedRiverT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-28-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
FlamingRain
1998 ZJ 

Radiator fittings

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what transmission fittings came for the 5.9 stock from the factory. It looks like the previous owner deleted whatever quick-disconnects or in favor of just running the hose over a flanged fitting with hose clamps.

I ask, because I have a new radiator but it has what looks like a screw-type fitting for the top, and if there's any way to add it back to the hose, I will. Flanged on the bottom.

E: I forgot to mention, this radiator does NOT have removable fittings and I can return it, but I would like to use it since I have it.

2wd can really get you places you can't get out of without 4lo. - Ratmonkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2019, 10:15 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

I've seen several people post over the years that the threads are standard plain old 3/8NPT pipe threads, but that was general ZJ, not specifically 5.9. The disconnects start leaking, so most of the "expert" long-time owners remove them and put in barbed hose fittings, then use a hose clamp. You cut the metal tube where the rubber hose section stops (over by the engine) then flare the end so that it's impossible for the hose clamp to slide off (not required, but insurance).
Benthal8 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Here were my notes for the fittings on a 5.9, for a new rad I tossed the original fittings and hose. “The cooler fittings were also different than the Mopar. For the new rad, I used ¼" NTP to ⅜" barbed for the cooler hoses with a 90 degree adaptor for the upper” with a #3 hose clamp.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
FlamingRain
1998 ZJ 

I believe that the fittings on the radiator I purchased I believe are actually 3/8 inverted flare fittings. I couldn't get a regular 3/8 to thread even though it looked like the right size.

Fortunately for me (sarcasm) no one in town sells inverted flare fittings. Amazon/Rockauto it is, I guess...

2wd can really get you places you can't get out of without 4lo. - Ratmonkey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in