Radiator and electric fan specs - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Lkunter
1981 CJ7 

Radiator and electric fan specs

Does anyone have details on the OEM radiator and electric fan for a 1998 5.9 ZJ? I'm running hot and believe I need to replace the radiator and switch back to the electric fan instead of the clutch fan that exists today. I say this as I frequently run between 115 and 130.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkunter View Post
Does anyone have details on the OEM radiator and electric fan for a 1998 5.9 ZJ? I'm running hot and believe I need to replace the radiator and switch back to the electric fan instead of the clutch fan that exists today. I say this as I frequently run between 115 and 130.
115-130 degrees F?

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, it’s too stupid to know it’s supposed to die.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Radiator and electric fan specs

Quote:

Sounds like your fan is working, I wouldn’t throw parts at it yet.
At what temp does your efan kick in?
How’s your coolant? Do you have any leaks?
Try a search in this forum for efan or e-fan in this forum. (Only the 5.9 has it) There is a replacement but I think you’re a few diagnostic steps away from that.

UPDATE: I see now that you were taking more about the switch rather than the fan itself. Two switches, low/high speed.
Unplug the switch and jump a wire across the female plug connectors, does it turn the fan on?

post #4 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 01:07 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

130 Celsius (266°F) ??? a little over heating there - Maybe a new switch - I do not know off hand any test for the hose mounted switch...

radiator not restricted, all shrouds installed, Thermostat - maybe old and slow, worn Water pump,

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The clutch fan should cool better than the efan that the niner shipped with. If you don’t have the niner shroud then converting back to an efan is likely not going to be worth it for a street driven vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Lkunter
1981 CJ7 

Sorry. That would be very cold. I run between 215 and 230 and have a new 185 deg thermostat. The previous owner replaced the electric fan with a clutch fan as well as the shroud. Now it is blocked some. I have a wench and it appears there is a large after market Trans cooler. So in stop and go traffic I get up around 230 and around 215 on the highway is 95 degree heat. My concern is not only with street driving but this will be heading to the mountains next year and with high heat and a slow moving group I don't need this to overheat.

I have a company that was recommended by a friend that produces really nice aluminum radiators with electric fans but this would be their first for this model. That is why I'm wondering if there are any specs out there. I don't want to send them my radiator to give me a quote if I decide not to pull the trigger. I should also note I don't want a fan that is zip tied. i do want a nice looking solution IF there isn't another option.

Last edited by Lkunter; 08-15-2019 at 01:41 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 04:59 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
The clutch fan should cool better than the efan that the niner shipped with.
Not if his switch doesn't work.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Sorry. That would be very cold. I run between 215 and 230 and have a new 185 deg thermostat. The previous owner replaced the electric fan with a clutch fan as well as the shroud. Now it is blocked some. I have a wench and it appears there is a large after market Trans cooler. So in stop and go traffic I get up around 230 and around 215 on the highway is 95 degree heat. My concern is not only with street driving but this will be heading to the mountains next year and with high heat and a slow moving group I don't need this to overheat.

I have a company that was recommended by a friend that produces really nice aluminum radiators with electric fans but this would be their first for this model. That is why I'm wondering if there are any specs out there. I don't want to send them my radiator to give me a quote if I decide not to pull the trigger. I should also note I don't want a fan that is zip tied. i do want a nice looking solution IF there isn't another option.
Do a search on here. There are tons of threads about the 5.9 fan & radiator, and aftermarket upgrades. Search box is at the top left.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 05:06 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiverT View Post
Not if his switch doesn't work.
What switch are you claiming is part of the clutch fan system?

The clutch fans pull more CFM than the efans in most situations.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Lkunter
1981 CJ7 

There aren't any switches as it is a clutch fan. Also I may be wrong but I thought the electric fan on high speed pulled more if you are just crawling as the RPMs are low. But to your point going down the highway with my heat high and with a clutch fan that is why I am leaning towards a new radiator.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, my bad, I think I may have confused the issue because I thought OP meant you were wanting to replace “radiator and switch” lol.
Multitasking = not good!
post #12 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Correct, if the RPM's are low, like idling, but the temps are hot then an efan can pull more CFM than the clutch fan. The PCM will actually increase the idle RPM (well, a niner might not, but a 5.2 will) if the temp rises to spin the clutch fan faster and get air through the radiator.

Should be plenty of air moving through the radiator at highway, more than either fan will pull. If you're overheating there then you at least have problems other than the fan. It's entirely possible the clutch on the fan is bad as well.

Niner efan is somewhere around 6k CFM on high.

Quote:
post #13 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 05:52 AM
V8GCZJ

Is your fan clutch working correctly? If not it won't engage the fan when temps go up. When you first start the vehicle rev the motor up to 2K+ rpm and see if you hear a "roar" from the fan. If so it's working.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 10:07 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
What switch are you claiming is part of the clutch fan system?
The one the posters above you were saying could be his problem, after he said he had a clutch fan in place of the e-fan. It was a joke.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-19-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Lkunter
1981 CJ7 

What temps are the other ZJs with a 5.9 running at (city and highway)? I know my clutch fan is working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in