Putting in new lifters - what do I need to know? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Putting in new lifters - what do I need to know?

Old lifters are out, none of them have dished bottoms, so happy with that. New lifters ready to go in once I've sourced some assembly lube.

What do I need to know about this? Do I just slather the lifters in assembly lube and push them in? Do I need to fill them with regular motor oil? Should I beware of pushing them too far down into their bores, or can that not happen?

All advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 03:21 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i usually just pump them up in an oil bath and throw them in.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

So what does pumping them up actually involve? And do you not bother with assembly lube?

post #4 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 AM
dusterdude

1996 ZJ 

Must use assembly lube
post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

I'm confused now. Googling about installing lifters (speaking generally, not Jeep-specific) brings up contradictory information - one side says you *must* soak the lifters in oil before installing them, the other side says it's completely unnecessary and can actually cause problems if the lifter is already pumped up when you first start the engine
post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 07:07 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

No engine builder by any means but unless the lifter was locked up somehow I don't see how it could cause damage. Its basically a way to open valves and pump oil isn't it?

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

You take a container like a butter tub and fill with clean oil, set the lifters in on end completely submerged in oil and use a pushrod to pump the lifter expelling air and priming with oil, then you slather the lifter will the prelube and install, get plenty on the bottom of the lifter and cam lobes, when you start the engine run the rpms up to about 2K which provides oil splash from the crank throws to bathe the cam in oil, don't let it just sit and idle more than a minute, then go drive it.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in