Purchasing a 98 5.9 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-04-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Sandy97ZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 95
Purchasing a 98 5.9

Getting back into the ZJ game.

Purchasing a BoB 5.9 that has been in my buddy's shop for a while. Everything works, for the most part. Recently had $600 put into it fixing it up. Had trouble passing smog due to a small vacuum leak that was causing a random misfire on cyl #1, setting off the CEL. Now it's passed smog. Has had a decent amount of work, front axle rebuilt. Doesn't look like it's been offroaded much. Has 160k miles but still runs really strong.

I'm paying $2k for it, owner is taking the rims and tires (Which I didn't really want). Plan on putting a 4" lift on it with 33x10.5 K02s.

Decent price, you think? It's a CA vehicle so no rust.

Sandy97ZJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 02-04-2017, 01:15 PM
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 1,509
2k for a 5.9 with no rust sounds like a good gamble.
Sandy97ZJ likes this.
StPaul59 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 02-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 10,016
Sounds good to me.

Have you checked the tranny fluid, and does the transmission shift fine? Make sure to test the tranny from 0-60mph @ WOT. Even though 5.9s have the 46RE, they don't have an aux. fluid cooler - they can and will cook the tranny fluid fairly easily on warm/ hot climate. Misadjusted bands, or worn clutch packs will most likely cause tranny to slip in 1-2 gear change under hard throttle.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 02-04-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Sandy97ZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Sounds good to me.

Have you checked the tranny fluid, and does the transmission shift fine? Make sure to test the tranny from 0-60mph @ WOT. Even though 5.9s have the 46RE, they don't have an aux. fluid cooler - they can and will cook the tranny fluid fairly easily on warm/ hot climate. Misadjusted bands, or worn clutch packs will most likely cause tranny to slip in 1-2 gear change under hard throttle.
Yes took it for a couple of laps. It pulls hard and shifts fine. I will be adding a cooler for sure, however. Especially since I'm moving to NorCal. Current location doesn't tend to get that hot.

First order of business it to drain all fluids and replace.

My mechanic has also driven it a fair amount diagnosing the smog issue. no problems. Suspension is worn and funky but I'm replacing it anyway...
Sandy97ZJ is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 02-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 10,016
I live in Finland, and the tranny would warm up to and over 250F in summer stop-and-go traffic with only about 65-70F outside temp. Even worse if it happened to be hotter, or when wheeling.
Before I installed the aux. cooler, I had the tranny hit ~260F when wheeling in deep snow in winter... that was pretty much WOT action all day, but anyways.. it was in below-freezing temps. With the aux. cooler, I've never seen it exceed 185F.


Damn sure you will be installing an auxiliary tranny cooler!

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 02-04-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Sandy97ZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
I live in Finland, and the tranny would warm up to and over 250F in summer stop-and-go traffic with only about 65-70F outside temp. Even worse if it happened to be hotter, or when wheeling.
Before I installed the aux. cooler, I had the tranny hit ~260F when wheeling in deep snow in winter... that was pretty much WOT action all day, but anyways.. it was in below-freezing temps. With the aux. cooler, I've never seen it exceed 185F.


Damn sure you will be installing an auxiliary tranny cooler!
Yep I put coolers on all of my vehicles now
Sandy97ZJ is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 02-04-2017, 02:22 PM
ZJay1998
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Warner Robins
Posts: 576
Both of my ZJ's had coolers not sure if they were installed before or after. I would pay for one that much. I spent 2K on my first ZJ it had 220K miles no front driveshaft needed new transfer case. No heat A/C needed to be recharged and needed new tires right away.

My second one I paid $1300 for it had 205K miles 4" lift with Bilstien Shocks New headers and exhaust heat and ac worked. After market stereo and kicker audio all the way around along with 2 12" subs. The second one I bought was the better deal for sure.
ZJay1998 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Eugnton
Registered User
 
Eugnton's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Henderson
Posts: 45
Garage
Do y'all have a recommendation on the tranny cooler? Brand or style? My fluids look good, nice and purple, but I now have concerns after reading this thread.

Red 1996 XJ, SE, 4.0, AX-15, 160,000: Rusty's 3" and 31's. This is XJ number 3 for me!
Eugnton is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 10,016
You have a '97, not a '98. '98 is the only model year when ZJs were not equipped with an aux. tranny cooler.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 02:49 PM
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugnton View Post
Do y'all have a recommendation on the tranny cooler? Brand or style? My fluids look good, nice and purple, but I now have concerns after reading this thread.
I put a cooler on mine at 152k and it shifted fine then. 4 years later all is well. Even found a chunk of snap ring in the pan, still shifts great. Wife overheated the motor till the bottom hose blew off, still runs great
StPaul59 is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Ace14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 20
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
You have a '97, not a '98. '98 is the only model year when ZJs were not equipped with an aux. tranny cooler.
I thought all 5.9s had the tranny cooler built into the radiator? I am doing a new rad soon and opting for a separate trans cooler.....

2003 Inca Gold Rubicon-Metal Cloak Armor, Currie Suspension, 35s.
1998 5.9 ZJ -DD/ work in progress
Ace14 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
I thought all 5.9s had the tranny cooler built into the radiator? I am doing a new rad soon and opting for a separate trans cooler.....
All '98s lack the external cooler like I wrote - they only have the radiator loop.
All '93-'97s have the radiator cooler loop + aux. cooler.

Some sources say the '98 ZJs got a slightly better cooling loop in the radiators which is why Jeep dropped the external aux. cooler. In reality, the raditor loop is not effective enough even in cooler climates, let alone in warm/ hot climate. If you own a 1998, an aux. cooler should be included in the tranny cooling circuit.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Ace14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 20
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
All '98s lack the external cooler like I wrote - they only have the radiator loop.
All '93-'97s have the radiator cooler loop + aux. cooler.

Some sources say the '98 ZJs got a slightly better cooling loop in the radiators which is why Jeep dropped the external aux. cooler. In reality, the raditor loop is not effective enough even in cooler climates, let alone in warm/ hot climate. If you own a 1998, an aux. cooler should be included in the tranny cooling circuit.

Got ya. Are there any write ups or anything showing what fittings and stuff are needed to do to a 5.9?

2003 Inca Gold Rubicon-Metal Cloak Armor, Currie Suspension, 35s.
1998 5.9 ZJ -DD/ work in progress
Ace14 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Sandy97ZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Got ya. Are there any write ups or anything showing what fittings and stuff are needed to do to a 5.9?
I haven't taken formal ownership of the vehicle yet so I can't help you out yet... I'll send you some pictures when I do, but I imagine the process is identical to when I did my 97 4.0

Thank you to everyone else for responding to this thread.
Sandy97ZJ is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 02-06-2017, 10:07 AM
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy97ZJ View Post
I haven't taken formal ownership of the vehicle yet so I can't help you out yet... I'll send you some pictures when I do, but I imagine the process is identical to when I did my 97 4.0

Thank you to everyone else for responding to this thread.
Ive heard the fittings are different between the 98 and 97s.
StPaul59 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome