Power steering sometimes heavy at low speed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Power steering sometimes heavy at low speed

The steering's usually fine, but occasionally at very low speeds, such as parking maneuvers, it'll get very heavy. Is this likely to be the pump or the steering box?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Little bit of both, try doing a flush of the box but it may need rebuilding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

In my past experience it's been the pump. Does it get worse in hot weather?

post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Not really. It's an intermittent thing, it just happens sometimes during low-speed maneuvers.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Sorry to ask but, belt tight/not worn with no-slipping even if it's not making noise and full tire pressure? I'm sure you probably checked and if all is good a PS system change of new fluid may help. You could have something in there restricting the flow control valve.

And speaking of the flow control valve on my 96 4.0 the power steering turns harder than the previous pump which leaked. Have a feeling the flow control valve may not be the same on the rebuilt pump and some say you should change over your current flow control valve over to the rebuilt pump. Or if nothing else count the notches on the high pressure fitting/flow control valve outside nut and they should be the same on a rebuilt pump to have the same amount of pressure.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #6 of 8 Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

What are the recommendations for pump replacements? Will a reputable reman be OK? The Mopar ones are just too expensive.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
What are the recommendations for pump replacements? Will a reputable reman be OK? The Mopar ones are just too expensive.
Got mine from NAPA 3 years ago. The added pressure blew out the seals in my gear box within a couple weeks, so I got a new gear box, too.

Ran into PS issues last summer in Texas heat, above 115, similar to yours... felt like I had no PS when turning slowly. Since being back out in CA (9 months now) I haven't had the issue.

YMMV
post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Oh, make sure you get the right year, and make sure it comes with a new reservoir. (different years come with different reservoirs, and may not fit due to differences in intake manifold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in