Power Antenna Wiring Woes - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-15-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Power Antenna Wiring Woes

Hello Everyone,
Finally got to installing a new headunit in my 95 jgcl, The power antenna was also gone on it . I was able to get anaftermarket antenna for the unit and so far so good. Wired up harness etc and unit works well. Now trying to install Power Antenna and have run into a wiring snag. The wires on the new antenna don't match the factory. Can anyone tell me wahat to connect to what? The Green and red are the new antenna (black fround I have on the frame). The jeep has a green, a white, and a beige wire(?) The jeep does have a infinity gold amp

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191215_135956.jpg   IMG_20191215_135936.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-15-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

And now it is in a crank no start. Can any one assist please? I need this car in the morning.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-16-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Anyone please?! Im desperate!

post #4 of 17 Old 12-16-2019, 11:40 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I believe this the the stock 95 ZJ power antenna wiring diagram.

If you post the wiring diagram from your antenna kit, I think we could figure it out. I'm no stereo expert but it looks like there are a couple different common ways for the aftermarket parts to be wired.
Attached Thumbnails
2009-12-16_151442_ant.jpg  
post #5 of 17 Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

The kit I purchased, doesnt have a diagram 😞. So im at a total loss. Im more concerned though that it will crank but not start. The only wires im fiddling with are the antenna.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-16-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

I was able to pull the wiring into the cab. Maybe this will help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191216_141051_1576523524463.jpg  
post #7 of 17 Old 12-16-2019, 03:37 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

AFAIK there shouldn't be a reason that the antenna wiring would cause a no start condition. Unless someone else wants to correct me. Did you disturb any of the wire connectors in the passenger footwell? There are a bunch there. I'd guess the issue wasn't the antenna wiring but something you disturbed getting to it.

The aftermarket kits look like they fall into two camps:
1 - The antenna has constant ground and power wires. The third wire is a signal wire that triggers the antenna to raise. It lowers when there is no signal.
2 - The antenna has three wires to the motor. The relay switches which wires are power and ground to raise and lower the antenna.

The stock setup appears to be #2. To raise the antenna the relay sends +12v down the light green wire and the grey/black wire is ground. To lower the antenna the relay sends +12v down the white/orange wire and the light green wire is ground.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-16-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

@zjosh93 ,

Here is what I was able to get off the sellers site:
1. Material: stainless steel antenna mast, five sections. Model: BF-686
2. Working voltage: DC12V. Voltage range: DC10V-14V. Working current: 0.70.2A
3. Wiring method: the red line is connected to the positive pole of the power supply, the black line is grounded with the ear, and the green line has two connections: one is the direct power supply positive, so the antenna rises and falls with the power supply on and off, and the other is the additional control line. So that the antenna can control the lift at any time.
4. Extend the outside of the car: 29.5 inches; Protective floor: 12 inches; Cable length: 55 inches.
5.Easy to install, AM/FM accepts good performance, noise is lower than 50DB, service life is more than 50,000 times, and top force is greater than 4KG.

How many connectors are on that side, do you know. Is very cramped working area so is going to be a breaker either way
post #9 of 17 Old 12-17-2019, 07:35 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Six connectors in one housing. Scroll down to the end of post four in this thread: 94-jeep-zj-instrument-panel-heater-core-ac-evaporator-removal/

Looks like your new antenna needs constant (fused) power and ground and a signal wire to tell the mast when to rise. You can check by wiring the red to +12v and ground the black. Then apply +12v to the green wire. The mast should rise. When you remove the +12v from the green the mast should lower. If that checks out then the light green wire from your original harness should be the correct wire to wire to the green wire on your new antenna. (it gets +12v only when the radio is on) That wire goes to ground when the radio is turned off which *shouldn't* be an issue AFAIK.
Zilliver likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-18-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

@zjosh93 ,
Thank you for that information! Looks like I am going to be pulling a good portion of the dash out . Now please forgive me I have another wiring question. I am not wiring saavy , pretty bad at it , but always willing to try. Can you please give those instructions as to wiring thw 12 volt/finding which is power in simpler form. Assume I am a idiot on such things and go with attach this to this.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-19-2019, 07:34 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Sure.

Based on the poorly written instructions that came with your kit:
  1. Connect the red wire from your antenna to a 12v power wire.
  2. Connect the black wire from your antenna to ground.
  3. Connect the green wire from your antenna to the green wire from the original antenna.
  4. Tape off the unused wires from the old antenna so they don't short to each other or ground.

What I would do and probably the easiest way to make this work looks like this:
  1. Remove the antenna relay under the glove box.
  2. Jumper the red wire in the relay socket to the white/orange wire.
  3. Jumper the dark green/red wire in the relay socket to the light green wire.
  4. Jumper the black wire in the relay socket to the grey/black wire.
  5. Connect the red wire on your new antenna to the orange/white wire from the Jeep.
  6. Connect the green wire on your new antenna to the green wire from the Jeep.
  7. Connect the black wire on your new antenna to the grey/black wire from the Jeep.

That should work and require the minimum of new wires run and retain the factory fuse etc. Basically you're bypassing the factory relay since the new antenna does that switching internally. You can make jumpers out of 1/4" blade terminals and short pieces of appropriate wire, probably 16 or 14 gauge.

By the way it looks like the pin numbers on the relay might not match the circuit numbers on that diagram above so I'd make sure the wire colors match just to be safe.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-20-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

@zjosh93 ,

Thank you for all of this!

Just a little more clarification please. Me + wiring=IDIOT. Some of this may just be semantics

1. Remove the antenna relay under the glove box. What antenna relay?

Jumpering I kinda understand, do the same on networks

2. Jumper the red wire in the relay socket to the white/orange wire.
3. Jumper the dark green/red wire in the relay socket to the light green wire.
4. Jumper the black wire in the relay socket to the grey/black wire.

This kind of confusing me:
5. Connect the red wire on your new antenna to the orange/white wire from the Jeep.
7. Connect the black wire on your new antenna to the grey/black wire from the Jeep.

the way I am reading it is I am cutting the connector off and crimping/soldering the wires directly to each other

red to white orange

Green to Light Green

And black to black (there is no black, will double check though tonight)

Would that be correct? Also how do I mount this thing? The factory mount doesn't fit it and all they shipped was a brass(ish) bar with screw holes.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-21-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Ok so I think I made it worse. Please take a look at the video and all input appreciated

post #14 of 17 Old 12-21-2019, 05:39 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters1965 View Post
1. Remove the antenna relay under the glove box. What antenna relay?
There are a bunch of relays under the floor of the glove box. See the pic below.

Quote:
This kind of confusing me:

the way I am reading it is I am cutting the connector off and crimping/soldering the wires directly to each other

red to white orange

Green to Light Green

And black to black (there is no black, will double check though tonight)

Would that be correct?
If you jumper the wires the way I said earlier then you should just have to make those connections. I'd use a three wire plug set so you can take it apart easily but you could solder them if you want.

The grey/black is a grey wire with a black stripe. The orange/white is white with an orange stripe. Looks like the ones in your picture.

Quote:
Also how do I mount this thing? The factory mount doesn't fit it and all they shipped was a brass(ish) bar with screw holes.
That I don't know. I've seen other folks complain that the aftermarket universal kits don't fit that well because of the angle on the ZJ fender. There are solutions. You could probably find them if you search the forum.
Attached Images

post #15 of 17 Old 12-21-2019, 05:45 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Ok so I think I made it worse. Please take a look at the video and all input appreciated
Hmm.... I'd check for any wire connectors that you might have taken apart to get the dash apart. Other than that there are some good no start threads and there's always the dirty dozen.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...talls-1407423/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in