Post lift DW question - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Post lift DW question

My brother and I installed the IRO 3.5 inch foundation lift with new rear springs. We also replaced both front lower control arms as the bushings were falling apart. Got it aligned and over 40 it still has dw. I'm looking for some input on tackling this.

Alignment info
Camber -1.0/-1.1
Caster 6.8/6.3 - Alignment tech said his is the best he could do
Toe .15/.15

Cross camber .2
Cross caster .5
Total SAI 1.6

Last month we installed the Crown HD tie rod assembly. I am planning on replacing ball joints this weekend but I'm not sure if I need to cash out on adjustable control arms and/or a drop pitman arm.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

You're going to need adjustable trackbars F/R at least. What size tires?
post #3 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlonesome View Post
you're going to need adjustable trackbars f/r at least. What size tires?

225/75/15.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

post #4 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 09:12 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Those alignment numbers look pretty good overall. My biggest issue with the foundation series lift is the lack of front track bar, I would definitely get a double shear bar in there.

You don’t want to start moving the mounts points (drop pitman) unless you know why you’re doing it. The relationship between the track bar and the drag link is the most important part of the bumpsteer/dw equation most of the time. If you were to move the mount for one, you want to move the mount for the other.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Ya I wanted to get the Benchmark kit but I HAD to get something to replace worn/failed components and that was all I could afford at the time.

As far as the alignment numbers go I know the caster split is going the wrong way. I also know I have some ball joint play. I don't want to drop the $$ on the LCAs (dropped almost $600 yester day on the first half of my tattoo so I'm a little short on cash) but if that will help resolve the issue Ill do it. As is shes not really road worthy.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #6 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You’re overall within spec, I don’t see LCA’s improving things since you said you replaced the bushings.

Getting the axle centered with a better track bar would be my first step.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 10:05 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I have a bunch of suspension stuff lying around. Some of it is like new. I'd like to recoup some garage space. PM me if you're interested and I'll see what I got.
post #8 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
You’re overall within spec, I don’t see LCA’s improving things since you said you replaced the bushings.

Getting the axle centered with a better track bar would be my first step.

Ok so do I need the ds front and rear drop bracket or front only?

Follow the build!

Quote:

Last edited by Mr. Puddles; 05-21-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: My reading skills suck today
post #9 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Generally drop brackets for just about any suspension/ steering component is a no go.
As far as trackbar goes, NEVER install drop brackets in the rear; in the front some (most) of the double shear brackets drop the trackbar frameside a little, but you gotta be careful to not mess up trackbar and draglink angles. They need to be parallel when observed between their pivoting points.

As kg6mov mentioned, I'd start tracking down your DW issues with a new high quality double shear trackbar + bracket. Front trackbar issues is one of the most common causes for DW, and just about any amount of flex/ play in the trackbar system (brackets, joints, trackbar itself) can and will cause DW.

Have you checked the front axle trackbar bracket mounting hole? It is very common for it to be ovalized, which causes TB play and DW.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #10 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Generally drop brackets for just about any suspension/ steering component is a no go.
As far as trackbar goes, NEVER install drop brackets in the rear; in the front some (most) of the double shear brackets drop the trackbar frameside a little, but you gotta be careful to not mess up trackbar and draglink angles. They need to be parallel when observed between their pivoting points.

As kg6mov mentioned, I'd start tracking down your DW issues with a new high quality double shear trackbar + bracket. Front trackbar issues is one of the most common causes for DW, and just about any amount of flex/ play in the trackbar system (brackets, joints, trackbar itself) can and will cause DW.

Have you checked the front axle trackbar bracket mounting hole? It is very common for it to be ovalized, which causes TB play and DW.

For the front track bar hole the directions told me to mark and drill a new mount hole which I did. If I do the ds front track bar and bracket wouldn't that mess up the drag link/track bar angles you mentioned? It would seem to me the adjustable track bar would be the better way to go. Unless I'm missing something.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #11 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yes, when you lifted the jeep you made the drag link longer (or your steering wheel is off center, doesn't matter), so why the hell would it make sense to move the trackbar mount hole? IRO should bloody know better.

If the track bar and the drag link are parallel and the same length suspension travel won't push the drag link and steering box around.

So yeah, adjustable trackbar is better.

Quote:
post #12 of 46 Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 PM
GChief

1995 ZJ 

Garage
[QUOTE=Have you checked the front axle trackbar bracket mounting hole? It is very common for it to be ovalized, which causes TB play and DW.[/QUOTE]

I told a buddy about this. It was loose and jacked the hole up. He drilled the hole just enough to be round and up sized the bolt to that size with a new bushing. No more DW.

Thanks Rob
post #13 of 46 Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Update

Installed the new IRO adjustable Track bar. Got it aligned. Dw still present.

Alignment specs as of today
Camber -1.1/-0.9 (red)
Caster 6.6/6.7 (green)
Toe 0.16/0.15 (green)

Total toe 0.31 (green)
Steer ahead 0.0 (green)

Only thing I can think is its the ball joints causing this.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #14 of 46 Old 06-03-2019, 03:50 AM
Zilliver
1998 ZJ 

Can you feel any play in the ball joints, when shaking the wheels?

ī98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 - daily
'95 Grand Cherokee 5.2 - offroad
post #15 of 46 Old 06-03-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Some.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Follow the build!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in