PCM Capacitors: Replace on 96+ or only older ECMs? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By StellaTheZJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2020, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

PCM Capacitors: Replace on 96+ or only older ECMs?

I've been trying to track down a condition where the brand new NTK O2 sensor on my 1996, 4.0l ZJ has a strange, lazy-looking graph on a scanner. I've been going through a lot to test it, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe the PCM might have electrolytic capacitors in it that are leaking, like the earlier ZJ ECMs sometimes have.

I found one resource that says no, 96+ PCMs do not have electrolytic capacitors in them, but I also found an eBay site selling caps that supposedly fit 1993-1998 ZJs. I find it hard to beleive that the same capacitor kit would fit the OBDI ECMs and the OBDII PCMs too, but you never know...

Can anyone tell me if the 96+ PCM is indeed free of electrolytic capacitors? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2020, 11:19 AM
MaintMech
Old and in the way

1996 ZJ 

Somewhere in this section there's a write up on "Lazy Caps In PCM" or similar title. It was pretty in depth and should have the info you're looking for.

'96 Grand Laredo, 4.0, Stock, Daily Driver

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!

Originally Posted by coralman
If the faith isn't there,the doubt is.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for that, I have seen those threads but they all seem to apply to the 93-95 ECMs. I just wanted to confirm that there wasn't a repair process for the 96-98 PCMs. It turns out there is, it's a matter or resoldering some joints on the voltage regulator header, but I was wondering if there might ALSO be some capacitors that go bad. All my research so far suggests that the 96-98 PCMs do not use electrolytic capacitors, so they can't leak or dry out. That doesn't help me solve the problem I'm seeing, but it helps me move on to looking for some other reason than PCM caps!

Cheers!
MrRoundel likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 01:47 PM
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

Not sure about electrolytic caps, BUT. I ran across a Youtube video showing Grand Cherokee PCM fix. Most fixes only show the big connectors being re-soldered!

It also mentioned re-soldering other PCB pins that mate up with the board that the big connectors mount to. COLD SOLDER JOINTS. Another cause of intermittent stalls, etc. The vid shows details, but I would use non corrosive RTV for electronics instead of reusing the old stuff.

While in there look for swollen leaky caps use 105 degree C hi temp rated if any there

Proud owner of two DD 4.0 ZJs
Flame Red 94 mint!
Silver 98 just hit 320k miles....runs great!

Last edited by mikem350; 02-20-2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added Youtube link
post #5 of 10 Old 09-29-2020, 10:35 AM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaTheZJ View Post
I just wanted to confirm that there wasn't a repair process for the 96-98 PCMs. It turns out there is, it's a matter or resoldering some joints on the voltage regulator header, ...
Hey, I saw your comment and was wondering where you found the info on reflowing those solder joints in the PCM? (I have a '98 5.9), I've been looking around and haven't seen any info on that or how to identify the voltage regulator and it's pins in there. Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-30-2020, 09:04 AM
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

It is on Youtube. Click the red arrow in the pic.

If that does not work search Youtube for Grand Cherokee PCM fix
post #7 of 10 Old 10-01-2020, 04:51 AM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem350 View Post
It is on Youtube. Click the red arrow in the pic.

If that does not work search Youtube for Grand Cherokee PCM fix

Thanks, Iíve seen this video before. Kind of cringe-worthy for me when he uses the wire brush on the PC board, and also the way he puts it back together. Yikes! Haha
Anyway I was looking for info specifically about the voltage regular header. But it seems to be right under the plate thatís below the connectors. Not even inside the main box. Glad you sent me back to YT because the last time I looked at these, I wasnít thinking about the voltage regular. Cheers

post #8 of 10 Old 10-12-2020, 10:10 AM
JeepRocket
1997 ZJ 

My 97 GC does not use that your of circuit board. It is a flexible type and probably can't be fixed. And yes it has electrolytic capacitors. The area around them is black. Bummer for me!
Look for the taco style pcm casing instead of what u see in that video.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-12-2020, 10:33 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are you SURE there is a PCM issue?
IIRC There is a code for switching slow response, are you seeing P0133?

As the PCM is not *****ing could you describe the issue. Maybe post the graph of voltage yur concerned with.

SORRY I hate the all to easy blame the PCM and condemn them.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 PM
JeepRocket
1997 ZJ 

Let me clarify what I wrote up there. The one with the flexible PCB and electrolytic capacitors comes in the taco style of computer case. The one with the lid type like you see in those videos if not have the flexible PCB in it. For all I know it could have electrolytic capacitors but I wouldn't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in