Paper gasket removal - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By V8GCZJ
  • 1 Post By wingless

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
OG_Bofa

Paper gasket removal

Hey guys, I’m replacing the water pump on my 5.9. Removal was fairly straightforward and thought I was making good progress. However, 90% of the original black paper gasket is stuck to the timing chain cover.

I’ve tried brake cleaner and a plastic scraper with no luck. I probably coated it 20 times to make sure it got nice and wet and it just did not help.

What should I be doing / using? This has to be the simplest yet most frustrating thing to deal with. I prob spent 2 hrs yesterday and made very little progress. There has to be something out there that really melts these thing. Thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 06:25 AM
skjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

paper soaked with antifreeze hardens with age and temperature. The antifreeze crystalizes inside
Soft brass wire wheel, steady hand and low pressure works good. Done that dozen times. just take care not to scrap the aluminium surface

current 2x XJ, 2x JK-U, SJ, M38A1, WJ
gone XJ, TJ, XK, ZJ
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
OG_Bofa

Thanks @skjeep . how do the techs do it? If I were to take it to the dealership or another shop would they use a wire wheel? I feel like they wouldn’t waste more than 15-20 min trying to get it off

post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 AM
V8GCZJ

Use a metal scraper/knife to get most of it off then use either a small sanding discs or and abrasive disc like this one...

These can take a lot off in a hurry so be careful not to sand down any of the aluminum.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-40-Gr...72ES/306080714
Timo_90xj likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum.

When I clean my gasket surfaces I use a hand held utility knife blade as a scraper. The trapezoidal shaped blade only, not using the knife.

When room permits, I will scrape using the blade edge. When required I will scrape or drag with the narrow edge.

This method attains a brand new gasket surface, with zero old material and zero damage or alteration from the cleaning.

Remove 100% of the old material or the part will leak.

IMO the time for a shade tree repair doesn't matter, just the results, so take your time and do it right. I HATE having to deal w/ dealership service departments on new vehicle warranty repairs and instead love repairing and servicing my ZJ.
Timo_90xj likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 AM
jeepjeepster

I've got a set of scrapers that I use and if room allows, a 3m bristle roloc wheel on a drill as a follow up. Just gotta be careful with the aluminium when using a good set of sharp scrapers.

I've been wanting to get some lisle carbide scrapers too but theyre a little too $$ for me.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 12:19 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_Bofa View Post
how do the techs do it?
Typically they attack it with a sanding disc on an air grinder. This carries a large risk of gouging the gasket surface but from the gasket surfaces I've seen after their machinations it doesn't seem to bother them. Slather enough RTV on it and it'll seal long enough to prevent returns.

I use a razor blade like others have mentioned. If you can get the blade under the edge it will often pop large sections of the hardened gasket off. Permatex also makes a gasket remover spray that works pretty well. I haven't used it in a long time but it did work.

I've been considering buying one of those fancy new carbide gasket scrapers. They are hard enough to keep the edge flat so a little less chance of digging in.

When you get it most of the way there, a green scotch-brite pad helps get all the last bits and leaves a good surface finish. If you do it by hand it's pretty safe. Just be aware that it will shed bits of scotch-brite abrasive so it will need to be washed after. In other words be careful around things you don't want grit in.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 PM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Step 1: use Lisle 52000 to scrape. Be careful not to scratch the aluminum.
Step 2: use "80PCS 25mm Abrasive Wheel Buffing Polishing Wheel Set for Dremel Rotary Tool Kit" ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/80PCS-25mm-...t/123855467578 ) with a Dremel tool to clean the aluminum.

For aluminum you can use the finest one, and for cast-iron the rough one -- such as cleaning the engine block mating surfaces.

Step 3: use alcohol (acetone is better) to clean any oil off the surface.
Step 4: if you have a paper gasket, then use Permatex 80062 -- it never goes hard and dissolves with acetone. For non-paper gaskets use nothing. Felpro instructions says to use most of their gaskets dry.

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in