OMG suddenly no oil pressure ! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 02-14-2015, 11:13 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
I'm leaning away from the oil filter being the culprit and believe it was the pressure regulator valve withing the oil pump itself.
You may be correct about that, as in my readings I discovered that many believe that extreme cold can be a problem there. I don't see much downside to your changing to 5w-30w where you are. I have even considered it for running in SoCal. Right now I think I'm running 10-40w, which is probably a bit thick. I'll be dropping down in a "weight-class" next oil change.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Total white-out here too eliminator and can't even see the other side of the yard!

I know exactly where Kent is and my cousin went to KSU while living close by near Hartville, OH. He was my age and a rich kid while living in a big house right on Congress Lake. He had a small hydroplane with a large Merc outboard and boy did we get in some trouble up there! Along with my older brother the 3 of us drove the security guard who patrolled the area absolutely insane!

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 39 Old 02-14-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

Small world! I live off Hartville Rd on Waterloo. Work at the University.
We're at the golf course every 4th of July to watch the show, if I knew someone would be on that lake ice fishing, heard some great reports from others that have access.

post #34 of 39 Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

So I'll tell a little story:

Back in High school a bud got a 1959 Impala hand me down from his Grand parents, nice car and originally set up for LP fuel. His GF's were very progressive, the LP conversion was pulled to put on the new Vega they bought and he got the Impala.

Car had 135K on it, a lot of miles for a 59 283, but it ran great most of the time. It did have one issue: it would idle smoothly and then suddenly run like crap for about a Minute back firing through either the intake or the exhaust, and then idle fine.

We went nuts checking points plugs timing but couldn't find a problem.

We then knocked around the idea the plastic cam gear might be missing a tooth or had huge chain strech allowing this issue.

The bud decided that swapping the chain was a good idea but since the motor had that many miles on it we would rebuild it.

Because we were way out in the sticks, Northern Cali was pretty forlorn in those days, he was going to have a mobile boring service do the engine rebore in the car!!

Our job was to strip the motor of everything but the crank so it would be ready when the Boring rig showed up.

drained th Oil pulled the tin, cam chain drive was bad but not that bad, and the bud was under the car pulling the pan.

As we attempted to pull the cam shaft a 4 inch long section of the cam fell out and hit him in the head!

Turned out the cam was broken and was a three piece set up, LOL! The cam would shift enough to allow timing issues and then "snap" back in place from the Vibration caused by the timing shift!

The engine over haul was a success, and was done long before the lump on his head went away, but taught me a lesson about moving parts I'll never forget.

In your case this pressure loss would drive me nuts! I honestly would pull the pan and the distributor, inspect the oil drive shaft and the internals of the oil pump and the drive area on the bottom of the distributor shaft.

Only then would I drive it again, if this failure happens at speed again you'll be doing a lot more than replacing an oil filter.

By the way the by pass on an oil fiter is to allow oil into the engine when the filter gets clogged and should not keep oil from being pumped to the bearings or valve train.

My opinion, which is worth exactly nothing, is you have another issue waiting to bite your back side.

Hope my story helps out.
post #35 of 39 Old 02-15-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

Hair of the dog

So today it's -6 and mama needs to go out for some household staples, I'd rather her not mess with the 5.9 (her jeep) so mine's out there warming up now (I'm listening intentively as I type) It was really really slow to turn over in this cold but once it fired up the oil P. instantly up to first hash mark above 40, I'm taking the fresh clean 5w30 for about a 7 mile slow ride.
post #36 of 39 Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Fingers crossed!

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #37 of 39 Old 02-15-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

No problems all good, took the 7 mile backway there, and then took the expressway home sustained 65MPH for about 5 mi. If it happens again you guys will be the first to know thanks for all your support!
post #38 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 05:56 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I changed his oil/filter... He got a ride back to the station and was ready to kick my a$$... it was a bad/clogged station chain brand filter...
Ever chew any gum while you did oil changes?

post #39 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 04:07 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Back when mopar muscle ruled supreme, the good old days,lol.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in