oil pan gasket rear main seal replacement - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Temujin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Temujin

1995 ZJ 

oil pan gasket rear main seal replacement

I did some work on my zj 1995 4.0. I had a rear main seal leak oil pan needed a gasket and I wanted to replace the oil pump as I hit 180,000 miles
I read and watched all the videos on this. disconnect the exhaust, pull the motor mounts and jack the motor. I decided to to see for myself. First because I was going to replace the oil pump I removed the distributor cap and turned the motor to TDC. I used the rotor position to make sure I was at the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke then remove the distributor jacked it up till the tires were just off the ground and drained the oil. Removed the starter. Then removed all the pan bolts. Hit the pan to break it loose with a rubber dead hammer. It fell right down with plenty of room. I slid the pan over to the drivers side and unbolted the oil pump and rolled it out. Then I took the pan front and slid forward and to the drivers side while sliding the back of the pan toward the passenger side. A little adjusting and it popped right out. Did the rear main and cleaned it all up. Had a fel-pro oil pan gasket that came with the plastic holders. Slid the pan back in put the gasket in position on the oil pan. Then I slid the pan over to the drivers side. Rolled in the new oil pump. Installed the the pump. Had to install a bunch of extensions to torque it to speck. Slid the pan back over. Installed the gasket holder 4 plastic pieces . Popped the gasket on the holders and re installed the pan bolts to spec. Re installed the distributor and starter done. If you don't need an oil pump and wish to remove the pump to save time and effort order a gasket before hand as no one sells one except on ebay or amazon .I made my own because I wanted to get this out of the way. I had my front wheels turned all the way to the passenger side. Not sure if that made a difference or not but that where they were pointed. Hope this helps someone

1995 zj 4.0 242 6l 42re trans 242 transfer case 27 spline dana 30 front 35 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 12:28 PM
jeepjeepster

I think removing the exhaust is only needed on the V8's. I didnt need to mess with it, but I did unbolt the shocks and sway bar end links. That gave me plenty of room to get the pan out with the oil pump in place.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Temujin

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
I think removing the exhaust is only needed on the V8's. I didnt need to mess with it, but I did unbolt the shocks and sway bar end links. That gave me plenty of room to get the pan out with the oil pump in place.

The v8 exhaust that makes sense to me. The only thing I could not remember was if I torqued just the outward bolt on the oil pump. Then took an open end and applied pressure the that one bolt till it started to move and finished tightening the other to the same resistance of the first. for the life of me I can't remember. I just figured I would add that in case some one had trouble with it.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 12:55 PM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

nice
since you described everything you did, I was wondering if you cleaned or replaced the oil pickup?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Temujin

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
nice
since you described everything you did, I was wondering if you cleaned or replaced the oil pickup?

brand new high flow melling pump with new pickup. I have a press so it was easy to attach ounce I got it into a position to press it on. Well I grabbed the pickup with a pair of vice grips in a cloth and pressed the pump on to it. Went right on. I'm running 10w-30 rotella with a wix filter. I poured a quart of tranny fluid in and drove around for like 20 miles just to clean everything out. The one thing I found is when I replaced the rear main seal was the rear main bolt was not torqued to spec one was. The bearing cap was most likely growing when hot allowing more oil flow. I have not run it around yet to check I want to fix the tranny leak first but she starts right up as always.
HighLonesome likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in