Offroad issues? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kg6mov

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
en_bloc
1995 ZJ 

Offroad issues?

Went mudding in my 95 i6 for the first time and other than blowing 2 tires and it choking out I have a few questions. I hit some pretty mean puddles and she eventually died out (probably choked on a soaked airfilter thank god for no hydrolock yet). After letting her sit she sputtered for a bit but was up and running however now this morning I noticed a significant loss in power. I feel as though the distributor became soaked which was causing the intermediate sputtering until it dried up. As far as replacing should I just go ahead and replace the distributor cap itself or the entire unit and spark wires? The starter works but I'm going to power wash all the mud off later this week and give every connection a healthy dose of marine grease after a shot of WD-40.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2018, 10:13 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I see no reason to replace the actual distributor, cap and rotor should be enough. I wouldn’t tend to bet on the distributor being the issue though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
en_bloc
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I see no reason to replace the actual distributor, cap and rotor should be enough. I wouldnít tend to bet on the distributor being the issue though.
Anything I should do a lookover of? Spark plugs were securely on so I don't think any reached into the spark holes, however I'm going to pull the wires later this week to check the cylinders.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Definitely check the cylinders, I’d do any fluids that may have gotten water in them, both diffs, transmission, and oil.

We sunk an XJ with the 4.0 in a lake once. Like past the roof rack. Pulled it out and drained the water out of the oil pan, pulled plugs and turned the motor over, had it running about 20 minutes later. Only reason they didn’t drive it home was water got in the tank and mixed with the gas. The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, it’s too stupid to know it’s supposed to die.
Mr. Puddles likes this.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

So stealing this

Follow the build!

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in