Off-road spare parts, if you life depended on it - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
woodsd79
1994 ZJ 

I live here in Arizona as well and as an avid hunter I spend a lot of time in remote places to get away from the other people. I spend a lot of time in wilderness areas that have hard to get to entrances. I take my jeep because I am capable of 15 to 20 mile hikes out if something were to happen and I am always prepared for weather changes. I would honestly not bother packing an entire jeep full of spare parts. If getting stranded could truly be life threatening for you don't take it or get a gps "spot" locator that sends out a beacon at the push of a button. Getting stranded in the AZ desert in the summer is not something to take lightly. When exploring new places we take my friends toyota tacoma. You can't beat them for dependability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
GTB
1995 ZJ 

New stuff to post 11

I've moved some of the above ideas to thread post 11 and edited it a bit.

For those of you who 'weekend warrior' with your buddies, most of this is thread is irrelevant. Someone is there to bail you out; nothing wrong with that, for sure (a good plan, actually).

I have spent six months at a time in BF nowhere, only leaving camp for supplies, fuel for the dredge, etc. (and rarely at that). 'Bail out' options are few when you are alone.

The problems faced by every off-road person are very different. It depends entirely upon your specific situation. Not everyone goes out for a weekend with the bro's and a few beers, and probably very few go out for half the year at a time.

Breakdowns can result in many different outcomes for many different people.

The point of this thread was my curiosity on what OTHERS were doing. NOT to get advice for myself (except for this new {to me} fuel injection crap).

HOWEVER - Many of you have pointed out to me how lucky I have been in not thinking of, or missing several things.

Complacency with the status quo can be a deadly game out there.

To those of you that think I'm new to the off-road world, I'm sorry to burst your bubble. I am much happier out there than in this house I keep paying the mortgage for; for the fun of neighbors and their 'trauma/drama' crap. I hate the down time off season (like right now). But the season just switched, yeehaw.

To those of you who ARE new to the off-road world, take note of what EVERYONE has posted in this thread and judge your situation accordingly.

Search and rescue teams exist for a reason, and noone wants to be the reason.

I don't mean to sneer at anyone's post, but I get the feeling that some of you think I'm new to 4X4 and the wilderness. Perhaps because I'm new to the forum, and I'm not too social media savvy (gettin' old, what can I say?).

All I wanted to know is what the rest of you do to cover your butt when you're 'out there'. And I've learned quite a few new things, thank-you to all!

Oh, and Woodsd79, I go to cooler climes in the summer, sure as hell not the AZ desert. The gold will wait for me on either end. Nobody can get it all . Come on down from Prescott and say hi sometime.

GTB

Last edited by GTB; 11-15-2012 at 01:24 AM.
post #33 of 41 Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

So were you going to add a 1st aid kit to your updated list? Haven't seen any mention of a flashlight w/extra batteries. I also carry a wind-up flashlight for when all else fails.

Probably not a bad idea to have a solar/crank radio set to the NOAA weatherband as can be seen below. Even has a USB cell phone charging port and whole unit is just over $40.

http://www.earthtechproducts.com/frx...s-edition.html

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 41 Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

Chain, vodka, welding sticks (if you have dual batteries w/ 2 sets of jumper cables), .45ACP Springfield 1911, starting fluid, torch/lighters.

//
post #35 of 41 Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
GTB
1995 ZJ 

OK Iv'e added a few ideas into thread post 11 so I think it's up to date. Lemme know if I missed something.

To FoundryDude... I know that most of the sensors can be disabled and to go with a PCM reset to hit 'limp' mode. BUT which sensors are critical?!
I know that the CPS (crank) is one. I'm guessing the distributor cam sensor is one (or is it?).

What are the minimum (I.E. Critical!) sensors to keep a jeep in limp mode, other problems not withstanding?

Thanks, GTB
post #36 of 41 Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 AM
riot1987

1997 ZJ 

Come winter time I throw in my insulated monkey suit. It saved me a few times

Build thread^^
post #37 of 41 Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 AM
iser

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Come winter time I throw in my insulated monkey suit. It saved me a few times

i pretty much have all seven layers in the jeep (except the 4th one. i never wear that one).

k, my jeep broke down two nights ago at -40 degrees at 2 in the morning. i had a near full tank of gas, so i wasn't too worried. but i knew that even if i ran out of gas, i still would've been able to survive for at least another 24 hours. obviously, not comfortably, but i wouldn't have died. and in alaska, just not dying is good enough. however, i was still near a state of panic. i've had bullets zip by me in firefights and all that crazy stuff so i'm used to high-stress situations, and i can tell you that i was a lot more nervous about my life that night than a firefight. that's how scary alaska can be. once my jeep broke down, i instantly went into survival mode. (thankfully, i was towed out within two hours).

one extremely important lesson for me that night: i had no water in my jeep. bc it's so cold here, i can't store any liquid since it will freeze right up. i need to have a solution for water. i was trying to work on my jeep in my 7 layers and i ended up sweating. in alaska, sweat=death. got dehydrated. stepped outside to melt some snow.

- REST IN PEACE, RATMONKEY -

Specs- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
Upcoming Projects- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"
- gen. george patton
post #38 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

^****......glad your okay dude^
post #39 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I would suggest looking at getting a ham license instead of a cb. It's not that hard to get a license and people on the ham bands are usually more emergency service oriented. It's also legal to do high power on HAM not that in an emergency legal matter much.

If you have the 5.2 have a 15mm short socket on a breaker bar to be able to change belts. If you have the 4.0 learn how to change belts on it.

I've had nothing but problems with the power steering system so I carry a shorter belt to delete power steering. I've heard of people carrying a spare power steering pump bracket because the factory one is a cast piece and breaks often on the 5.2.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #40 of 41 Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Twisted96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I always bring a hub!! At least one I've seen so many times were they just come apart and the wheel cocks and your stranded I mean you can still travel like that but not far before something else comes yanking off there. I always have extra cloths tools and at least 1 hub I've actually packed a hold knuckle in there once but it was necessary. And a buch of tie straps metal ones never know when you may need one.
post #41 of 41 Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

A personal locator beacon might do this anyway, I don't really know much about it. But wouldn't you want one that you turn on when you leave your house and it constantly updates your location (like a ping every 30 mins or so) to a website that someone else knows about. So should you get hurt outside of your Jeep, or something like that and you can't get back to turn the beacon on, it is already broadcasting your location. Again, just a thought.

Also, maybe a few pieces of dry wood, just enough to get a fire started. If it's raining out and all the wood is soaked clean through, you'd not have a fun time trying to get that fire lit.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition 4.0L
3.55 axles, stock pretty much everything, except for a PSC steering gear and fuel injectors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in