noticed differences from stock - best jeep zj laredo bumper source - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick-B

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-18-2018, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
jeepradiator99

noticed differences from stock - best jeep zj laredo bumper source

I've now had my ZJ bumpers replaced 2 times about to do it the 3rd time. I've noticed different qualities and color in the bumpers each time. The stock seems a little darker in color and denser plastic and higher quality and less prone to scratching. The last rear bumper put on is already very faded while the side plastic is stock and much darker and the front bumper is from the 2nd time and is darker than the rear and less faded but not as dark as the side plastic.

So where do I get the most high quality laredo zj bumpers for a 1997 ZJ laredo 4x4 v8?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 AM
JonMopar

Well the obvious place is check the salvage yards. Your stock plastics are very likely faded so even a new OEM bumper wont be the same as a 20yr old one. Any of the aftermarket ones will fade if you dont protect them with something like Aerospace 303 or something similar to Armour ALL (which wasnt a great product, but anyway).

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
jeepradiator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMopar View Post
Well the obvious place is check the salvage yards. Your stock plastics are very likely faded so even a new OEM bumper wont be the same as a 20yr old one. Any of the aftermarket ones will fade if you dont protect them with something like Aerospace 303 or something similar to Armour ALL (which wasnt a great product, but anyway).
That's the thing. My stock bumpers didn't fade like this last replacement. Last time I only replaced the rear bumper and it faded 100 times faster than the front one which was replaced in 2008. So the rear is 10 years newer than the 2nd front bumper (1st replacement) and it faded faster. It's a newer bumper fading faster than the older bumper on the same car. I can see it's made of inferior material. I know there are different companies selling aftermarket ZJ bumpers and I assume that they might be manufactured by different companies and the older the car gets the less likely it is to get a real authentic OEM bumper no matter how well it matches when brand new. I know that I can put some transmission oil on it to restore it but the point is that I can tell it's a cheap knockoff of the real OEM plastic rear bumper and I wondered if anyone had the know-how to tell me where to source the real deal authentic OEM plastic bumpers not cheap knock-offs. I also realize this might be futile since the car is so old and real OEM might not be made anymore for a 1997 ZJ.

So what happened was the first body shop used quality parts but the 2nd body shop used inferior parts for the rear bumper.

The stock side plastic on the doors looks tons better than the rear bumper as well. Even in old pictures I can tell that the stock plastics on the bumpers was of higher quality.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 05:54 AM
JonMopar

Well I've never checked, but you can simply call your dealer, give them your VIN number and ask if bumpers are still available new. If not, then used is the way to go. You can get good used bumpers for hardly any money at all

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 09:38 AM
PacificEd
1998 ZJ 

I'm looking for new OEM type bumpers for my Grand. In my searches on RockAuto it just says various manufacturers. When I find Crown and Omix-ADA they only show the front for the 96-98 models and 93-95 models on the rear (which looks to be a little different). The two 10mm bolt attachment points seem to be the biggest change I see.

My question is the Crown and Omix-ADA stuff pretty good or is all of it about the same? Do you know what brands you installed before or where did you buy them from?

1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited
1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
post #6 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Nick-B
1997 ZJ 

Instead of spending money on bumpers that quickly fade you might consider painting all your cladding and bumpers. Everything will match and last longer. It worked for me.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...paint-4131841/
cyoos likes this.

Regards, Nick

'97 ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0
'90 XJ Cherokee Limited, 4.0 (SOLD)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
jeepradiator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificEd View Post
I'm looking for new OEM type bumpers for my Grand. In my searches on RockAuto it just says various manufacturers. When I find Crown and Omix-ADA they only show the front for the 96-98 models and 93-95 models on the rear (which looks to be a little different). The two 10mm bolt attachment points seem to be the biggest change I see.

My question is the Crown and Omix-ADA stuff pretty good or is all of it about the same? Do you know what brands you installed before or where did you buy them from?

I've never replaced one myself. It was always the body shops. I've had both replaced the 1st time and just the rear replaced the 2nd time. The bumper replaced the 2nd time is already faded badly so I think they cheaped out. When looking online for bumpers I find some that are very very cheap and some that are more expensive. I'm not sure which is better quality.

For what it's worth I saw you can just put transmission oil on your bumper to try to bring it back to like new condition. It's a detailer's trick.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
jeepradiator99

Nick-B: Those look nice, but my car looks almost brand new when detailed, I'm not quite their yet. How good does it look close up on the edges? How long did it last? I assume you used blue tape? How did you prep the surface for paint? Was it one step just the paint can shown or was it a primer too? Did you use many coats?

EDIT: I see how you did it now in your post... I am familiar with the SEM, I even have some in black from a sports car project I was going to do years ago.

And I was in an accident, so my bumper was knocked crooked and I took it off a while ago already been driving around without a front bumper and I'm deciding what to do next.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
jeepradiator99

Here you can get them from a site that says they are OEM. Price is $319 plus extra for the foam insert. Plus extra for the pin to pin the styrofoam to the bumper shell.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...category=20301

Here you can get it new on ebay for just $66. I bet this is inferior in quality, but I don't know?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe...oAAOSwuQxacQZI
post #10 of 14 Old 02-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Nick-B
1997 ZJ 

If you have already put trans fluid on your bumpers then painting them isn't going to work well. I'm sure you know the residual oils will prevent the paint from bonding properly even if you have cleaned them.

Regards, Nick

'97 ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0
'90 XJ Cherokee Limited, 4.0 (SOLD)
post #11 of 14 Old 02-22-2018, 12:18 PM
JonMopar

To get trans fluid off, you'll need something like varsol or paint thinner...and give it a few liberal wipe downs.

post #12 of 14 Old 02-23-2018, 06:34 PM
digdug18

The highest quality replacement bumpers will always be from the factory, though you'll never find a reasonable price.

The biggest difference between OEM and a CAPA or LKQ replacement will be the fitment. The aftermarket usually makes a mold using an OEM bumper, and uses those molds well after the point that they should stop and make a new mold.

Fitment meaning the mounting points, length of the bumper and twist. Thickness of the actual part is also a bit less then OEM, as well that sometimes the material the aftermarket bumper is made of isn't always the same as stock either. This all boils down to the aftermarket part fitting like crap. I deal with these issues daily at my full-time job as an autobody technician.

As for repainting your bumper, I'd suggest using SEM products Trim Black and their adhesive promoter as well. You'll sand the exterior of the bumper with a grey scotchbrite, then use the adhesive promoter, then the trim black, allowing the flash time as per the instruction in between each product and coat. There is a nice series of videos on SEM's website. I'd try this on one of your used bumpers first to make sure that you like the color. This product is what we use in the industry on a regular basis.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/trim-black
post #13 of 14 Old 03-04-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
jeepradiator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
If you have already put trans fluid on your bumpers then painting them isn't going to work well. I'm sure you know the residual oils will prevent the paint from bonding properly even if you have cleaned them.
I haven't put anything on them. I just saw that video. I'm not going to paint my bumpers, but yours looks nice!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
jeepradiator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug18 View Post
The highest quality replacement bumpers will always be from the factory, though you'll never find a reasonable price.

The biggest difference between OEM and a CAPA or LKQ replacement will be the fitment. The aftermarket usually makes a mold using an OEM bumper, and uses those molds well after the point that they should stop and make a new mold.

Fitment meaning the mounting points, length of the bumper and twist. Thickness of the actual part is also a bit less then OEM, as well that sometimes the material the aftermarket bumper is made of isn't always the same as stock either. This all boils down to the aftermarket part fitting like crap. I deal with these issues daily at my full-time job as an autobody technician.

As for repainting your bumper, I'd suggest using SEM products Trim Black and their adhesive promoter as well. You'll sand the exterior of the bumper with a grey scotchbrite, then use the adhesive promoter, then the trim black, allowing the flash time as per the instruction in between each product and coat. There is a nice series of videos on SEM's website. I'd try this on one of your used bumpers first to make sure that you like the color. This product is what we use in the industry on a regular basis.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/trim-black
My insurance is paying to replace mine in the front this time but I wanted to know how to tell the body shop where to get the best bumper so I would't spend time and money to paint it. The last body shop seems to have used a cheap knock off on the rear one. Fit fine but the plastic exterior faded quickly. I also want to know a source to get the good stuff from in terms of the bumpers for this ZJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in