Noob here: Transfer case grenaded. Literally. It's on the road now. Literally. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Noob here: Transfer case grenaded. Literally. It's on the road now. Literally.

Like the title says, I'm new here. I'm more of a race car guy: I own a 1998 BMW M Roadster that I track and daily drive. My Jeep, with 190,000 miles on it, is a nice backup car that hauls stuff. At least, it was. Now that my wife is pregnant, it was going to be a great car to haul the soon to be born kid in with 100,000 things that only my wife knows how to use in the trunk.

Now that the background is out of the way: I obviously need a new transfer case. It was on the list anyway, but now, well...

Pretty, huh?

First off, I think it just tore the transfer case and the transmission is actually OK, but I defer to you guys there. Secondly, what other things should I be looking for with respect to getting this thing back on the road? Thirdly, a friend of mine used to be a Jeep service adviser and told me that that particular transfer case was known to grenade. He mentioned that there is another case that's 2WD full time/ 4WD part time. The current one (don't know the model number) is all-time 4WD with a 4-Low shift option. Is this something that I can swap easily or would I have to change axles, etc. to make it work? If it's a direct swap, I'm seriously considering it for the gas mileage. Keep in mind: this thing will be a kiddie-cart primarily. We plan to just use it for long trips where we have to haul crap for the baby.

Sorry about not doing a detailed search first. I searched, but not too deeply.

PS: I made the final payment literally 2 hours before it blew up!

edit: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7L V-8.

double edit: it's really a 1999 Jeep. I screwed up. I'm too darn used to working on the BMW and letting the Jeep sit that I naturally said 1998.

Last edited by gbauer; 07-19-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
the88thpianoman

2003 WJ 

Ok, first, I lol'ed at your thread title. A lot. I'm sorry. Second, you are looking at doing the 242 swap, which is Jeep's "selec-trac" 4wd. Your grenanded transfer case is a 247. Because you have the 4.7, you will need to find a donor 242HD, from another 4.7 WJ. It will then be a direct swap. You may need to use the tailcone or input/output shafts from the 247. Someone else on here will know that for sure. Thirdly, you will not gain any gas mileage from having full time 2wd. The Jeep is fully mechanical and so everything is always moving anyways, just a matter of where the torque goes. I, as well as others, keep my 242 in 4 full time all the time just for the added traction. Lastly, I suspect your transmission is probably ok, but I will also defer that to those more knowledgeable than myself.

Also, congrats on the upcoming kid, the paid off Jeep, and welcome to the Forum.

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
zippome
2000 WJ 

im a little confused right now. you have a 98 with a 4.7? uhhh. and your profile also says that you have a 99.

Im 20 with a 2000 Grand SOLD!
4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake

post #4 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
the88thpianoman

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome View Post
im a little confused right now. you have a 98 with a 4.7? uhhh. and your profile also says that you have a 99.
Gotta be a typo, that crossmember is definitely a WJ.

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

The 98 is a BMW, his Jeep is a 99.
post #6 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Ok, first, I lol'ed at your thread title. A lot. I'm sorry. Second, you are looking at doing the 242 swap, which is Jeep's "selec-trac" 4wd. Your grenanded transfer case is a 247. Because you have the 4.7, you will need to find a donor 242HD, from another 4.7 WJ. It will then be a direct swap. You may need to use the tailcone or input/output shafts from the 247. Someone else on here will know that for sure. Thirdly, you will not gain any gas mileage from having full time 2wd. The Jeep is fully mechanical and so everything is always moving anyways, just a matter of where the torque goes. I, as well as others, keep my 242 in 4 full time all the time just for the added traction. Lastly, I suspect your transmission is probably ok, but I will also defer that to those more knowledgeable than myself.

Also, congrats on the upcoming kid, the paid off Jeep, and welcome to the Forum.
Sounds like you know what you're talking about! I knew coming here I'd learn me somethin'!

So I'm looking for a 242HD? I found a 242 from a 1999 here: http://www.yertyautoservice.com/ but I can't tell if it's a 242 as it doesn't say what it's out of. Would a 242HD really only be $200 when all the 247's I'm finding are $600-800? Am I on crack or what because it sounds to me that the better transfer case is actually cheaper!

...if only that were true in the world of BMW's, I'd be a very wealthy man with a rock-solid car now!
post #7 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome View Post
It's a 99. I type 1998 far too often with the damn BMW!
post #8 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
j.love

1994 ZJ 

Those pictures are awesome!

I know it totally sucks and glad your ok and all, but damn!

Quote:

I don't know the WJ's well, but your going down a well traveled path with the TC swaps. Plenty of guys on here have done the swap and will soon chime in.

doesn't look like you hurt the trans, the main shaft inside the tc will pull apart from the input gear with no worries when the case halves are apart, and I dont see any parts of the trans on that case.
There are six bolts that bolt the tc to the trans. I'm sure that they are all still on the trans, look for stress cracks on the trans mounting points and be sure to look at the ruber trans mount real well.
Good luck.

David.
94 ZJ laredo 5.9 V8 swap D44a posi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
post #9 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.love View Post
Those pictures are awesome!

I know it totally sucks and glad your ok and all, but damn!
Thanks! I'm looking at the bright side: It's already disassembled!
post #10 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Minivan
2001 WJ 

WOW!, thats way cooler than when my TC grenaded, but I fixed mine on the side of the road at midnight with JB weld, silcone, zip ties and Duct tape, doesn't look like you could have done the same.
If the trans looks ok, as far as the case goes, I would at least replace the output seal, it probably got damaged during the... what have you. Also, check the front Ujoint and yoke for damage, so that you don't have to go back in there a second time. If you do the 242 swap, grab all of the linkage and the interior bezel. I'm sure someone will chime in about any needed wiring, I think there is something about unplugging one harness and plugging another in behind the center consol?
Your right about the 242 being cheaper, I got one from the JY for $250, They can be had for cheaper, but the guy knew I needed it within three days, so he might have raised the price a bit.

Just curious, did it lock up on you?

Edit, with the new one, make sure it has ATF in it! Doesn't look like your old one had any.
Heat=Chain Stretching=BOOM!

It's always darkest before dawn... so if your going to steal your neighbors newspaper, that is the time to do so.
post #11 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM
j.love

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
Thanks! I'm looking at the bright side: It's already disassembled!
since your a good sport, you shouldn't mind this....

wait for it...

David.
Quote:
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
post #12 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

^^^

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there .

David.

(steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd and locked JK Rubi D44s
post #13 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
since your a good sport, you shouldn't mind this....

\
I was really hoping for worse! Surely somebody can do better here!

As Minivan mentioned, yeah, I think it ran dry. I blew a seal on it a few years and 30k miles ago on a trip to IN from MD. It went about halfway there. I've had problems since then with it and I knew it was just a matter of time. The seal was replaced, but something was still wrong in there regardless. As I said, it IS a spare vehicle so I haven't put too much effort into it. You know: fix it when it breaks.

Really reading into the instructions here I can tell that I'm already most of the way done and I haven't turned a wrench yet! This little project might go well for once! The last clutch job I did (different car), I ran into about 4 different things that went wrong but shouldn't have. This one, however, is already apart!
post #14 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Virmagicus
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Triple roll

Jeff

post #15 of 66 Old 07-19-2009, 10:46 PM
j.love

1994 ZJ 

Again I dont know about the WJ's but if you are removing the remains of the case before you score a new one, hold onto the input shaft. in ZJ's we have to swap them when we go to the 242.

I was taking it easy on ya. new member/ kid on the way and all. :P not to mention the yuppie mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virmagicus View Post
Triple roll
>> J.love takes a bow<<
Thank you,
I'll be here all week.
Please,,, try the lamb.

David.
Quote:
Joe Biden

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in