No start with codes 42 and 24 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-15-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
No start with codes 42 and 24

Hello all it's been a long while since I've been here. I just picked up a 97 ZJ, 4.0 auto for dirt cheap. I was able to get her to fire up and run for about 10 minutes and then it died. The p.o. has replaced the ckp sensor but it's an aftermarket one and I know those are junk. Dealership is 6 weeks out to get me one. I checked the codes and it's throwing 42 and 24. Neither of which specifically point to the crank sensor but I'm wondering before I fire a parts cannon will a bad ckp throw those codes as well? I just started back to work after 7 months off from a bad accident so I don't have the money to take it to a shop for diagnostics.

There's no replacement for displacement, except knowing how to drive what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-15-2019, 03:51 PM
V8GCZJ

42 Auto shutdown relay circuit Open or short in the ASD relay wiring or connectors.
24 TPS sensor is out of normal range.

The ASD rely needs to work or the vehicle will not run.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-15-2019, 04:34 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

I watched a YouTube video on using one of those electrical short locators and it just so happened that he was working on a 96 ZJ. I think it had an ASD code. He found the short on a wire running down the front of the engine and then back to one (or both) of the O2 sensors. Anyway, the O2 sensor wires rubbing through against the driveshaft or exhaust pipe is a well known common problems with ZJ's, so maybe that is what is shutting yours down.

Here's the video:

I was wrong, it didn't have an ASD code, he had identified a short in the ASD circuit.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-15-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I know what the codes are, the ASD relay was swapped with the starter relay with no change. It's weird if I wiggle the ckp wire something behind the driver's head light clicks and with light pressure of the pedal the Jeep starts. I know the TPS needs replaced at this point but I'm having trouble identifying what would click behind the headlight that then allows it to start. I've been through the FSM but I'll have to wait until daylight to dig behind that light.

There's no replacement for displacement, except knowing how to drive what you have.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-15-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
To add I've also found a purple/white wire and black wire coming through the firewall that have been cut. Not sure what they go to but they seem to originate somewhere just under the dash on the driver's side.

post #6 of 10 Old 12-16-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Now I got her to fire up again. Throwing a code 43 now...and stalled then won't start again. Could I be looking at a bad PCM at this point?

post #7 of 10 Old 12-16-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Also I've checked all the wiring for O2 sensors and they are intact.

post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2019, 09:58 AM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

If your engine bay grounds are dirty or corroded you can get symptoms that indicate bad sensors, cause stalls etc.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #9 of 10 Old 12-16-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Update: I replaced the TPS today as it's hard enough to diagnose an intermittent no start with that being bad... Fired right up, ran for 30 minutes without issue. Turned off and she fired right back sup again. I'll clear the codes and see if they come back but I'm hoping that they might have set because of the stall outs.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-19-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've found the problem. The botl for the crank sensor had been replaced at some point by the p.o. and is too long. Tightened all the way down it still allowed free movement of the sensor causing the stalling and thus throwing the other codes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in