New to the ZJ club - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-18-2021, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
arhauck

New to the ZJ club

Hi,

I just bought a 1995 ZJ, bit of an impulse buy, but I've loved them since they were THE SUV I wanted in high school. Just trying to learn as much as I can, and I stumbled on this forum. I'd appreciate any advice/tips/tricks.

Thanks all!

1996maroonzjf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-18-2021, 06:47 PM
JonMopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhauck View Post
Hi,

I just bought a 1995 ZJ, bit of an impulse buy, but I've loved them since they were THE SUV I wanted in high school. Just trying to learn as much as I can, and I stumbled on this forum. I'd appreciate any advice/tips/tricks.

Thanks all!

Welcome!! Post pics! I love seeing other Members’ ZJs

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-19-2021, 04:34 AM
i-joshua

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Welcome. Here you will learn a lot, I learn new things every day with the help of the guys in this forum

ZJ 5.2 V8 from La Coruña, Spain

post #4 of 18 Old 11-19-2021, 09:00 AM
BlaketheSnake

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome!
Enjoy your new GC!
This site has some great folks!

For Great Deals and Customer Service on your Jeep, Drop Nick a Line!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kolak Performance

Tread lightly or we all will be tree hugging hikers!
2006 LJ Rubicon Black 35" BFG KM2s with 3.5" Metal Cloak Short Arm Kit
1998 ZJ 5.2V8 Deep Pearl Slate w/Up Country Suspension
1988 SJ416 White
post #5 of 18 Old 11-19-2021, 09:12 AM
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
welcome.
Which engine?
Tons of info here and very helpful members.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #6 of 18 Old 11-20-2021, 12:43 PM
speedbrake
1994 ZJ 

Yup. What Rapidrob said...fill out your profile with your vehicle specs. Year, engine, trans, etc. That way, when u have a "my Jeep is doing this..." question. The answers you get will be tailored specifically for your Jeep. It helps us ALL out.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-23-2021, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
arhauck

Here is the Jeep.

It's a 1995 5.2L Laredo (100% stock) that I bought on Bring A Trailer. I drove it 100 miles with no issues at all when at speed. The only issue is a lurch when slowly breaking to a stop (usually around 10-20 mph). Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
my ZJ.jpg  
BlaketheSnake likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-23-2021, 05:04 PM
JonMopar

Wow!!!! I’m jealous. That is a museum piece. I have one that’s clean but has about 200k more miles lol

I followed the auction, so I know you paid handsomely for it. That is an amazing original ZJ. And with every option you could get on a Laredo! Keep protectant on those plastics and keep it amazing!

As far as the brakes go, it sounds like it’s a sticky calliper, likely due to it not being used much. If so, Grease the sliders (with a higher temp safe grease) and you’ll be good as new

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-23-2021, 08:14 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum. Very nice Jeep.

+1 on updating your profile and / or your signature so others may assist properly.

The correct Factory Service Manual (FSM) is essential to maintain the Jeep and keep it running properly.

If the steering hasn't been changed yet, this reply shows the Moog parts I used on my Up Country ZJ. These parts will restore normal handling from the wandering from operation w/ original parts.

This reply has info on NP249 viscous coupler replacement.

Implement the TSB 18-48-98 for the spark plug wire routing.

This link has the intake plenum TSB and the plenum bolts. Follow the TSB, not the FSM when assembling the intake plenum. Use new plenum bolts. It is common for the intake plenum pan gasket to fail / leak. This reply shows the plenum pan bolt and blind hole thread chase, so that the thicker pan is not required.

Don't forget the timing chain. The engine will run MUCH better w/ a new timing chain. This reply shows the Miller 6635 tool for locating the timing cover to be concentric to the crankshaft.

A common problem on the front brakes is wear notches on the knuckle pad sliding surfaces, causing the pads to catch / lock instead of properly sliding.

Information on every single issue can be found / requested on this forum.
i-joshua likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-23-2021, 09:14 PM
JonMopar

I don’t think any ZJ owner has ever changed a timing chain with such low mileage lol. The average owner changes theirs between 200k and never lol.

But if you are looking at keeping things in as-new condition, definitely follow the FSM and recommended dealer service intervals.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-24-2021, 05:40 AM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMopar View Post
I don’t think any ZJ owner has ever changed a timing chain with such low mileage lol. The average owner changes theirs between 200k and never lol.
What is the mileage on the OP ZJ?

post #12 of 18 Old 11-24-2021, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
arhauck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
What is the mileage on the OP ZJ?
post #13 of 18 Old 11-24-2021, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
arhauck

Will do. What protectant should I use?
post #14 of 18 Old 11-24-2021, 10:10 AM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

Agreed w/ the 34K mileage the timing chain is fine.

The other listed rubber parts, like steering and seals all degrade w/ age and will benefit from replacement, if not already done.

post #15 of 18 Old 11-24-2021, 10:33 AM
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Since you do not know the real history of the Jeep or how long it may have sat: How old was the gas in the tank? You drove it 100 miles, did you add gas? I would run a tank with a good fuel injector cleaner. SEA FOAM is N O T a fuel injector cleaner. Check all vacuum lines for cracks. Pull the rotor cap and check for deposits on the contacts. Pull a couple of spark plugs and check the condition. What plugs are in the engine now? Hard to beat NGK's Whats the condition of the spark plug wires? Many of the Jeeps PCM can be reset by removing the + terminal off of the battery for several minutes and re-connect it. This will re-set the PCM and allow it to "learn" how the engine is running? How old is the battery? I just last Sunday, replaced mine from COSTCO ( Interstate battery 800 CCA ) for a fraction of the coast of any parts store / Walmart. What a difference it made! The engine is now running so much smoother at idle.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in