New user! 98 4.0 laredo needs work - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-2020, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
phacemeltar
1998 ZJ 

hey team! i recently wrecked my crown victoria so my dad gave me his old jeep (this baby’s been sitting) to work on. i put on new tires, had the trans overhauled, new pcm, new alternator/battery, cleaned it up, and got it running! but i’m still having issues. today i redid the soldering on the headlight switch (thanks to an article on these forums).
currently i’m trying to find a good guide to restoring the door lock actuators (currently only my rear passenger door and hatch work with the switch) and looking for aftermarket components i can install to increase my efficiency.
everything is really running great now, some minor hiccups but i’m happy... but there is this shadow looming regarding something my dad told me.
he stopped driving this thing a long time ago but i remember once he told me not to shift it to 4wd because the fluid will leak out. i’ve been trying to find some hint of this problem on the internet, but have come up with very little. does this sound familiar to anyone? sounds scary to me and i’m trying to fix asap (have access to a shop and a lot of tools)

seeing as i’m pretty well invested in this baby, i’d very much appreciate any help or advice someone can offer me. thanks 😊

Attached Thumbnails
EEA07E47-8225-4A2E-A721-8FD54759B845_1584760571970.jpg   253A15FC-F026-4E7A-8532-0621FA1D13F5_1584760597112.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2020, 07:39 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

1St thought on door look issues is wiring. Maybe be more specific, from driver seat what works what does not, from passenger seat ? from rear seats ?

"aftermarket components i can install to increase my efficiency' that is a loaded question, STOCK is best BUT some items we can use aftermarket - Lets get it running well no codes or issues and look into these items.

What fluid leaks? Sounds like transfer case.... first be sure the T'case FILL plug will come out. Can yoiu tell which T'case you have?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2020, 09:32 AM
Jeepy95
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Hi what's the NAPA jug in engine compartment for. Need to fix window cladding car alarm on mine but she still runs 😀

post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
phacemeltar
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
1St thought on door look issues is wiring. Maybe be more specific, from driver seat what works what does not, from passenger seat ? from rear seats ?

"aftermarket components i can install to increase my efficiency' that is a loaded question, STOCK is best BUT some items we can use aftermarket - Lets get it running well no codes or issues and look into these items.

What fluid leaks? Sounds like transfer case.... first be sure the T'case FILL plug will come out. Can yoiu tell which T'case you have?
as far as the locks problem goes, all the switches and the remote work, but all the locks except passenger rear and lift gate just make a loud whirring sound but doesn’t switch the lock. the one door works every time, lock and unlock. i’m guessing it’s a bad connection, going to tear it down and see what i can find. i read a post that said the passenger front switch is the master so i’m going to start there.

as far as the leak goes, i haven’t actually seen it leaking... haven’t been down there either, probably going to in the next week or so. my guess is the front differential or the transfer case but idk... trying to find a diagram so i know what i’m looking at before i go under

as far as codes goes, it scans clean. my 11$ scanner shows no faults, had the transmission shop scan it last week, and the big boy scanner at my job came up with nothing either. i guess i’m pretty fortunate at 198k

wishlist - is like to find a true dual exhaust manifold that is split 3 and 3, but i haven’t found anything except for the wrangler

the bottle under the hood is antifreeze, got a pinhole leak on the radiator and when it gets hot i lose some fluid. the water jugs are in the backseat B)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2020, 10:59 PM
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

It will help us help you if you put your Jeep's data and your location in your user profile. Your subject line for this post and the photos have some of that info, but it would help if it is in your user profile. Try clicking on the triangle to the right of 1995 ZJ below my Jeep Photo on the left.

On your "User CP" page (User Control Panel), your location goes in the page linked by the "Edit Your Details" link on the upper left side and your Jeep's data goes in the page linked by the "Edit Your Jeep Information" link just below the "Edit Your Details" link.

For location, you can just give your country if you wish. But the more you narrow down the location, the better we can evaluate any effects of your climate.

There should be a tag on your transfer case with the ID for your transfer case plus the date of manufacture in the serial number space, 10-17-94 on my NP249. 2.72 is the low ratio. Or, on your four wheel drive shift bezel beside the shifter shaft, the markings will be something like

NP 231 - 2WD, 4 PART TIME, N, 4 LO (COMMAND TRAC)
NP 242 - 2 WD, 4 PART TIME, 4 FULL TIME , N, 4 LO (SELEC-TRAC)
NP 249 - 4 ALL TIME, N, 4 LO (QUADRA-TRAC)
Attached Thumbnails
NP249J.jpg  

AlamoJeeper
- 1995 4.0L NP249 - mostly stock
- Link to rehabbing my 1995 ZJ.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2020, 11:33 PM
8v-of-fury
1998 ZJ 

Seeing as how the front diff and transfer case spin all the time regardless of transfer case operation or transfer case handle position.. I cant see what your old man was talking about leaking fluid while only in 4we.

'98 ZJ 4.0/242, Locked d30/d35, 31x10.5x15, 2" BB w/ Bilstein 5100's
post #7 of 7 Old 03-21-2020, 11:42 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

some thoughts.
If the lock makes a "whirring sound " sound the next step is to inspect actuator and linkage.
Remove door panels. Need help/details etc?

Trying to find a diagram? What do you want help finding the gang likely has what you want..

Lets put that exhaust system ideas on the back burner so to speak.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in