new PCM question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
SWB
1997 ZJ 

new PCM question

I have a 97 ZJ with 187K. 4.0

Got the ZJ running great after following the "12 step program" and was gaining confidence in it again. Then decided to install re-manned PCM I had ordered from Flag1. before finding ground issues.

New (re-man) PCM jeep shut down after 3 seconds, consistently. Key locked and unlocked Driver door and tailgate. No change

Re-install old PCM and no issues. Starts, runs and drives fine.

Is this because the new PCM is not compatible with my security system? (or its current state? I'm not the original owner)

Any suggestions welcomed and thanks in advance

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

If the current PCM and security system perform as advertised, it sounds like they sent the wrong PCM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-02-2019, 08:23 PM
klaxmaster

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I have a 97 ZJ with 187K. 4.0

Got the ZJ running great after following the "12 step program" and was gaining confidence in it again. Then decided to install re-manned PCM I had ordered from Flag1. before finding ground issues.

New (re-man) PCM jeep shut down after 3 seconds, consistently. Key locked and unlocked Driver door and tailgate. No change

Re-install old PCM and no issues. Starts, runs and drives fine.

Is this because the new PCM is not compatible with my security system? (or its current state? I'm not the original owner)

Any suggestions welcomed and thanks in advance

Scott
Why get a new PCM? If it IS needed, just go to a junkyard and get one for 50. Chances are its still good and no one had pulled ot from the jeep yet.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

If it ain't broke, fix it with a larger part.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2019, 04:40 AM
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Put the old PCM in, if it wasn't causing you any problems - then return or Ebay the new one - they have sent you the wrong PCM, the new one has security and the old one did not.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

felt like changing the PCM

If it ain;t broke don't F with it.

Let us know customer service and any hassles returning the 'bad' PCM... for future referance

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
SWB
1997 ZJ 

Called Flag1 this AM. Agreed it is a programming issue. Said my jeep didn't have security (I thought it had been disabled or removed) and that the replacement was programmed accordingly but possibly didn't take. Asked if I wanted to try again. Told them yes. 2nd unit is being programmed and sent.

The greater emphasis was placed on the return of the unit with as much info as I could give so they could learn what went wrong. So far very easy to deal with and seemed on top of their game.

As to why I chose to replace it:

If you have ever dealt with a random no warning flame out situation(s) I shouldn't have to explain much here.
These units are prone to failure (proven), At this point of my life $187 is a cheap alternative to being insecure.
Weak grounds (all repaired now) can cause PCM and sensors to fail.
Darn near everything grounds through the PCM.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM
97grand8165

1997 ZJ 

Part of what we have to deal with old jeeps. Mostly computer related .
post #8 of 14 Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grand8165 View Post
Part of what we have to deal with old jeeps. Mostly computer related .
Always the 4.0 it seems.. Why don't the V8s go bad? Anyone know?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

Just an educated guess... the v8 boards were furnished by a different supplier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM
97grand8165

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
The trouble is the computer thinking for the human and or motor.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 02:00 PM
Crystina Tutter

does anyone know where i can order a replacement PCM for a 94/95 jeep grand cherokee laredo? i ordered one but it was wrong part and found one on ebay but the wires were cut at the base of the box to short to splice into place. I need one because mine caught fire under the hood and is a chard pile of plastic now. please if anyone as one with the wiring connected or knows where i can order one i would greatly appreciate it thanks
post #12 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 06:44 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystina Tutter View Post
does anyone know where i can order a replacement PCM for a 94/95 jeep grand cherokee laredo? i ordered one but it was wrong part and found one on ebay but the wires were cut at the base of the box to short to splice into place. I need one because mine caught fire under the hood and is a chard pile of plastic now. please if anyone as one with the wiring connected or knows where i can order one i would greatly appreciate it thanks
kolakperformance.com probably has them. They guy that runs it posts on here (username "kolak").

Or you can go to a used parts junkyard and maybe find one. A lot of those places check their other locations and will have one removed and sent to them, then you can go pick it up.

You have to get one for the same type of engine, whether it has a factory security system or not, and whether it is originally from California.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 AM
Kolak
Vendor

If you need the connectors and some of the wiring, best to go to a salvage yard. Make sure it's the same model year/engine size as your ZJ.

I can assist with a remanufactured PCM. You can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected] and we'll chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystina Tutter View Post

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #14 of 14 Old 02-14-2019, 06:15 PM
jeep210
1997 ZJ 

When I had my random engine stalling issue, my troubleshooting led me to the PCM. I got a reman from AutoZone and it has been running great since the change. I got charged a $10.00 core charge so I kept my old PCM. Figured I can get it repaired and used again if needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in