New to Forum and New to Lifting ZJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-17-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
browneyezj96
1996 ZJ 

New to Forum and New to Lifting ZJ

Hello! Im totally new to this forum and I have several questions about a 3.5" Rough Country lift that I'm in the process of putting on my '96 4.0 ZJ.

1) Front and rear track bar bolt removal: In your opinion, what's the best way to remove those bolts? I am at the point with the front one now where the head is cut off, and I've been able to air hammer the bolt through the sleeve, but it's completely backed out to the axle and i need to clear about half a centimeter more before the bar will drop. For the rear bolt, T55 torx with an 18mm nut, there is a bushing relatively close that is preventing me from sliding a socket or any sort of ratcheting wrench over the nut to give me leverage, and I've twisted 4 torx head sockets trying to impact the bolt out. Any thoughts?

2)Is it ok if I replace the front and rear track bar bolts with non-torx bolts? If so, where is a good place to find specs for those bolts, and where can I order them from? Everywhere I have gone only sells the OEM track bars, not hardware.

3) Tires. Since most of my current funds went to purchasing the lift kit, I will be keeping my stock wheels until I can save enough to get aftermarket ones. What are some of the tire sizes I can get that will fit my stock wheels, but still give me better grip off roading?

Thank you for the help in advance! I'm still pretty new at this and I really appreciate any and all advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-17-2014, 09:04 PM
paxbnm

1998 ZJ 

On my 98 the rear track bar nut is (was) welded to the bracket. I didn't know that and hit it hard with the impact wrench and then a long breaker bar. It is no longer welded to the bracket I still had to cut the head off the bolt though, I couldn't get enough grip on the torx end to get it off.

I replaced all the hardware with graded hardware from boltdepot.com. If you can order it all at once the prices aren't bad and shipping is quick. If you have to do multiple orders like I did the shipping is painful.

I am in a similar situation on the tires so I hope you get some good advice.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

I'd go 31x10.5x15 for your stock wheels. I had that same setup on my 97 zj and it did great and loved it. As for tires, if money is the issue, check out your local craigslist. I found my tires on there with only 2k miles on them for 400 bucks. If money isn't the issue, but you want a great on/offroad tire, many people like the Goodyear Duratracs. depends on what type and how often you plan to wheel really.

These are really a great tire for the price and what they are:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...50&rd=15&cs=31

1998 ZJ 4.0 work in progress/DD
'97 ZJ 4.0|3.5 RC|31" -SOLD

post #4 of 8 Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

For reviews on those tires as well..
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f211/...uro-mt-770303/

1998 ZJ 4.0 work in progress/DD
'97 ZJ 4.0|3.5 RC|31" -SOLD
post #5 of 8 Old 10-26-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
browneyezj96
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxbnm View Post
On my 98 the rear track bar nut is (was) welded to the bracket. I didn't know that and hit it hard with the impact wrench and then a long breaker bar. It is no longer welded to the bracket I still had to cut the head off the bolt though, I couldn't get enough grip on the torx end to get it off.

I replaced all the hardware with graded hardware from boltdepot.com. If you can order it all at once the prices aren't bad and shipping is quick. If you have to do multiple orders like I did the shipping is painful.

I am in a similar situation on the tires so I hope you get some good advice.
I can't stand those Torx heads. I suppose cutting both ends is my best option then. I'm guessing the 98s have front track bars as well? I'm just at a total standstill now and I really want to finish this before the weather gets too cold. I disconnected the frame side of my front track bar so that I could at least install the new control arms and start to work on the back end, but Im still in a jam with getting the old bolt out of the axle end. Im glad I'm not the only one experiencing these issues though. Thank you for the site referral!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-26-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
browneyezj96
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz View Post
I'd go 31x10.5x15 for your stock wheels. I had that same setup on my 97 zj and it did great and loved it. As for tires, if money is the issue, check out your local craigslist. I found my tires on there with only 2k miles on them for 400 bucks. If money isn't the issue, but you want a great on/offroad tire, many people like the Goodyear Duratracs. depends on what type and how often you plan to wheel really.

These are really a great tire for the price and what they are:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...50&rd=15&cs=31
Money is a bit of an issue, I'll check craigslist! lol. I've heard a lot of good things about those Duratracs as well. I also had this thought in my head that I could head down to the local scrap yard and pull a set of stock rims off a ZJ and just have two sets of rims/tires to switch out as needed.

Those Adventuros seem perfect. Thank you so much!

Do you have any opinions on spacers? I know I'm compromising my stability a bit with the smaller tires on a lift. Will buying spacers to bring out my wheel base even the slightest help with the stability issue? Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-26-2014, 02:14 PM
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

To save on wheels I bought 31x10.5 on craigslist. They were bfg at on Chevy rims with a 1000 miles for $400.

Walmart transfered the tires to my for $38........yes, 38 for all 4. That is 8 dismounts and 4 mounts and balance.

Sold Chevy rims for $40. Total cost of project $398
post #8 of 8 Old 10-26-2014, 02:23 PM
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

Forgot to mention treadwright is having free shipping this month

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in