Need Help Identifying Axles 98 ZJ Frankenstein - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-11-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
UrKungFuNoGood
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Need Help Identifying Axles 98 ZJ Frankenstein

I went to swap out rotors and pads on the front of my 98 ZJ and found that the replacement parts were not even close to being right. I've been looking at what seems like dozens of candidates as swaps but can't seem to figure out what is going on with it.
There is an ARB diff cover and there are no tags. I can't find an axle stamp anywhere either. Shape indicates it's a D30 but as far as I can tell both axles have been swapped out for some reason. I just realized I can maybe look at the rear and see if it has anything to identify it and maybe the front will wind up being from a matching donor.
There are 1.5 inch spacers on all four wheels that are probably also functioning as adapters for a different lug pattern. What I currently have as wheels are what appear to be the Overland Rogue 17x7.5 wheels in graphite (now identified thanks to another thread here with a wheel database as being the wheels from the 2011 JK COD Black Ops edition- they're NICE ****ing wheels, wouldn't mind keepin em) with 32x10 tires. The tires do not extend beyond the wheel wells but I think that's because those wheels have a LOT of back spacing.
The brake calipers are dual piston and where they secure to the knuckle it looks like a new hole has been drilled and tapped for them because they overlap another hole slightly like two C's facing each other CↃ so it's also possible that the only thing that has been changed is that someone swapped out calipers. I guess I could grab a caliper from Pick And Pull and return it if doesn't fit and/or ask the Jeep Wrecker for a favor to loan one.
I don't have any pictures of the axle proper but I do have pictures of the difference in the rotors and the pads.
I've been to the wrecker and looked around but couldn't find any matches and the parts guy couldn't figure it out either (and it was a Jeep wrecker)
Now I'm at the point where I NEED to tighten up the front end guts. Ball joints/bearings and axle u-joints and I have no idea what parts to buy!
OK so here are the wheels: nm I can't post a link it's attached
And here are the pads and rotors next to each other
Pads: nm I can't post a link, it's attached
The new pads that were SUPPOSED to fit a 98 ZJ are on the bottom and the pads currently on the vehicle are on the top.
Rotors: nm I can't post link image attached
Where pretty obviously the new rotor with the deeper hub that is supposed to be the OEM replacement is on the left and the rotor currently on the vehicle is on the right.
I can get some more pictures of different bits but I can't take it down to the hub right now as I don't have any place to work on it. I live in an apartment and my only available garage is 3 hours away.

Attached Thumbnails
Pads01.jpg   Rotors01.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by UrKungFuNoGood; 03-12-2017 at 01:10 AM. Reason: added a possible solution about caliper swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Sounds like you either have the blackmagic brakes kit or a botched up WJ knuckle swap.

Would need a picture of the knuckle to know for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
UrKungFuNoGood
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Thanks KG. Next time I get them off I'm going to take some more detailed pictures.
I just identified the wheels as being the Rubicon wheels with a special finish for the 2011 JK COD Black Ops edition. I started looking at 2007 and up Wrangler parts and it's looking really REALLY close. I tried looking at the Black Magic website but it's a little slow at the moment. I'll have another look tomorrow. Thanks again

Tags
98 zj , axles , brakes , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in