N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #451 of 456 Old 08-13-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yup, it’s a tight fit. The same trick wouldn’t work on a 4.0 with where the AC compressor ends up.

I’ve a notion to do a ZJ specific dual battery mount that would fit a little better, but I just don’t have the drafting time I used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 456 Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 AM
variable

1993 ZJ 

Got it all together, with both batteries in (yay - my wallet is sad though). I dread the day I have to remove it for some reason though..

One problem - I'm guessing yours is shifted towards the passenger side a hair more than mine ended up, but at first glance, everything fits nicely (aside from having to re-do the coil bracket). However, I haven't figured out if its happening while under load or if its a weird combo of the unibody flexing or both, but it would appear that intermittently the auto-tensioning idler will rub the tray.

I've only put about 300 miles on it in this setup - went offroading.. broke some things.. so its not going anywhere - but I think that if it were to continue at this rate, probably by about 1500 miles (wild guess), the belt will have worn sufficiently to come apart.

Since I've some other things to fix first (broke the front left LCA mount on the axle side...), its not urgent and I probably needed to replace the belt anyway, but I'm considering my options here and coming up a bit short. I don't have the machine shop in my garage that you've got and there's only so much noise I can make in my little 1 car garage at our apt... so I don't think that 'fixing' the tray is going to be the solution I end up with...

In another post, I think timo said something about lifting the ac compressor to fit some valve covers - though he also mentioned having to get a longer belt. I'm thinking maybe I lift the compressor (less than he did) which will cause the idler to retract under the higher tension and hopefully give me the space I need. This could have some other side effects that might not be immediate though that I'm concerned about - more wear on various bearings, and the belt etc.

The only other thing I can think of is somehow re-orienting the idler so that its taking up the slack in a different location - i.e. flip it so its downwards facing instead of up (and figure out how to flip the spring I guess). I haven't thought that one out in terms of feasibility but that general idea.

I suppose I could also put a fixed idler there and actually relocate the auto tensioning one, but that would be a big pita with an already limited amount of space..

Is a shorter belt even worth considering in this case? (I really don't want to mess with the battery tray if you hadn't noticed )

93 ZJ V8 5.2 - K&N FIPK, leaky exhaust
post #453 of 456 Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

What are you running for motor mounts? I'm definitely under the impression that my poly ironman4x4fab mounts are helping keep the engine out of the battery box.

That said, I've got a good 3/4" of clearance from tensioner to battery tray when things are off. There's differences between the first gen V8 belt drive and the second gen like timo and I have. Not clear how that affects things here. On my setup the tensioner pulley is about 11 o'clock on the arm.

I also throw fresh belts at things for shiggles, so I'd start with a new belt to see if it's better with a fresh one.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #454 of 456 Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 PM
variable

1993 ZJ 

I'm not using anything interesting for motor mounts. I replaced them about 6 months ago-ish, but it was just a replacement of the rubber stuff, not an upgrade.

Swapped the belt for one from a 95 - I think this was the first year the belt changed as its 90 1/8" vs the 1993's 90 5/8". The groves appear a bit thicker, but that could just be because mine was warn a bit. Its not really visible in the picture, but the difference in the tensioner's position is hard to tell visually from 11 o'clock, but its not at 12 o'clock.. I dunno, maybe went from 1030 to 1115? Definitely further from the battery tray though. No idea what (if any) long term affect that might have. Ran the engine for a few minutes and it seems to run fine - not sure what I was expecting there :-P

I'll have to look and see if the part numbers are different for the tensioner too - I never thought to look till now.
Attached Thumbnails
beltcompare.jpg  

93 ZJ V8 5.2 - K&N FIPK, leaky exhaust
post #455 of 456 Old 09-02-2019, 05:50 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Put a CAI on it and then put the second battery where the airbox is now. Thats what I'm doing. I'm fabbing up the battery tray now.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #456 of 456 Old 09-02-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
I'm not using anything interesting for motor mounts. I replaced them about 6 months ago-ish, but it was just a replacement of the rubber stuff, not an upgrade.

Swapped the belt for one from a 95 - I think this was the first year the belt changed as its 90 1/8" vs the 1993's 90 5/8". The groves appear a bit thicker, but that could just be because mine was warn a bit. Its not really visible in the picture, but the difference in the tensioner's position is hard to tell visually from 11 o'clock, but its not at 12 o'clock.. I dunno, maybe went from 1030 to 1115? Definitely further from the battery tray though. No idea what (if any) long term affect that might have. Ran the engine for a few minutes and it seems to run fine - not sure what I was expecting there :-P

I'll have to look and see if the part numbers are different for the tensioner too - I never thought to look till now.
That looks a lot better in the second picture, thatís about where mine sits. I canít imagine thereíd be long term detriment to the tensioner.

Quote:

Tags
build thread , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in