N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 456 Old 03-31-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Nah, tech is good, other ideas are welcome.

I didn't have as much of a gap as I imagine you did as my rails are a little lower than yours, they're pretty much flush with the underside. I'll be going back over that are eventually anyway once I get the undercoat stripped off and the frame stiffeners installed. Of course I've pretty much decided that I'm not gonna use the TNT stiffeners I have in the garage, they were the only option when I bought them, but there's some better ones around now.

Pictures when I get back to the other side of the country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 456 Old 03-31-2016, 09:55 PM
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Nah, tech is good, other ideas are welcome.

I didn't have as much of a gap as I imagine you did as my rails are a little lower than yours, they're pretty much flush with the underside. I'll be going back over that are eventually anyway once I get the undercoat stripped off and the frame stiffeners installed. Of course I've pretty much decided that I'm not gonna use the TNT stiffeners I have in the garage, they were the only option when I bought them, but there's some better ones around now.

Pictures when I get back to the other side of the country.
What did you decide to go with instead of TNT?

End
post #288 of 456 Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I'm on the fence between the IRO and the DB metalworks, mostly it'll depend on how much more I'm cutting things up.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #289 of 456 Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 PM
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

IRO makes some from bumper to bumper?

End
post #290 of 456 Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

No, middle section only, but much nicer than the tnt. My new front end will handle the front section, haven't decided on the rear, depends on where the brackets for the double tri setup end up.

Quote:
post #291 of 456 Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 AM
Luke95
1997 ZJ 

Hd offroad half the cost and just as nice had them on the xj and now the zj will have them.

97 XJ on 4Ds.
post #292 of 456 Old 04-02-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Hmm, comparable and less the IRO ones, but not quite as fancy as the db metal, thanks for the tip.

I promised a picture:
img_1639.jpg

It's really just flush, there's a few of those spot welds for shiggles, and each end has about 2" of weld, but thats about it. I might do a piece of 2" flat bar to cover the gap when I have the undercoating removed.

Quote:
post #293 of 456 Old 04-02-2016, 03:16 PM
CherokeeDavid

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Mucho gracias senor. That pic is exactly what I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndIsNear View Post
Something we did on mine, is after that seam is folded (or cut, in my instance), is weld a length of angle iron over the seam to strengthen it. Then after the rails are welded in, plate from the rail to that angle iron, and then from the angle iron to the frame. Kind of a boatside. And it'll strengthen everything....don't mean to butt in kg6mov

End
Neat idea and sounds like the process can be done in steps which is nice.
post #294 of 456 Old 04-11-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

An unplanned detour in the life of jeep. I needed a car battery for a temporary power fix at the theatre. So I grabbed a group 34 yellow top from pep boys and ordered one of these: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/OPT-WID.html

So in a month or so I will be running dual batteries.

Hopefully before then I'll get my new rear axle under the jeep as well.

I also received a pressure washer for my birthday (along with a *hint* *hint* that it would take the crud off the patio) so I might get the jeep *clean*.

Quote:
post #295 of 456 Old 07-05-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I.O.U

Trail Tales
D44a Skid
LSD
Dual battery mount
Steering tap
Rear Axle Swap
Turndown for WOT
Front CA's
Rear TB

Quote:
post #296 of 456 Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 AM
chakkuchan
1995 ZJ 

I see you are looking at installing a dual optima setup, where were you planning on putting yours at? I was thinking about mounting mine where the stock coolant, A/C evap core, and cruise control were located, but putting the fuse box between battery box and wall.

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 "ATJT"
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "Darth Jeep"
post #297 of 456 Old 07-06-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's installed, the IOU list is things that I've done to the jeep in the past 6 months that haven't been posted here.

Came out like this:
mount-finished.jpg

I was originally thinking of doing like you said but the height wasn't there, and it would have meant losing AC, which I'm not ready to do yet. The fuse box doesn't really want to move very far.

Quote:
post #298 of 456 Old 07-06-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Trail Tales

We went back and ran Slick Rock trail, and I went with the hardcore group that wanted to run the trail both directions. Which in hindsight wasnít the brightest move. I was the only jeep in that crew that was still on short arms, but my armor made up for it (almost).

The sliders got a workout.
slick-rock-15-1.jpg

This is right after one of the obstacles.
slick-rock-15-2.jpg

My buddy in the taco didnít quite have his sliders worked out yet. He had done really well in johnson valley with his rig stock and a rear locker, but he had added a steel bumper and a winch since then and it really killed his front travel.
slick-rock-15-3.jpg

More trail running.
slick-rock-15-4.jpg

The trail used to be a fire road, so there are some easy sections (even remnants of paving).
slick-rock-15-5.jpg

And some flex bits.
slick-rock-15-6.jpg

This is the major obstacle on the trail (*the* slick rock). The line Iím taking is the medium line up the rocks, theres a nice clean line to the left of me, and to the left of that is the buggy line.
slick-rock-15-7.jpg
slick-rock-15-8.jpg

Shortly after that I must have landed on my front end harder than I intended as I noticed it was rubbing more than usual. Looked down and the factory uppers had a bend in them! Few minutes later, no bend, then back to bend. Well, anyone who understands metal fatigue will be unsurprised that by the time we got back to camp my uppers looked like this.
slick-rock-15-9.jpg

Well, I drove to camp without the ratchet straps, then worked the ratchet strap thing out. Basically when going forward the axle wants to rotate forward and the uppers are only holding tension to keep it straight. So the ratchet straps did that just fine. We kept it under 30mph and wandered down to a friends place in the forest that was nearby, borrowed a car and managed to find a place that could get them in same day (only a few towns over). Not how we had intended the weekend to end, but we got home safe and reasonably on time.

Donít wheel stock arms kids.
slick-rock-15-10.jpg

Quote:
post #299 of 456 Old 07-06-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

D44a Skid

Slick Rock is a lot of fun, but there are sections that are a workout for small tires. Along the way I dragged my rear diff quite a bit and on a d44a that takes chunks out the bottom of the housing and tries to rip the cover off.

Of course slick rock was the last run in the season last year and I went straight into a big production, so I didnít get around to fixing the cover (though I wasnít driving the jeep, much). By the time I had time to do something about it I figured it would be easier to pull the rear axle out of the niner and clean it up, skid it, and then swap it in (and the driveshaft so I donít need the conversion joint). Got the axle out from under the niner, tossed it up on the stands.
d44a-skid-1.jpg

Started by measuring the width of the bridge that will go from tube to tube, looks like 3Ē is just about perfect.
d44a-skid-2.jpg

Draw that onto cardboard and start marking where the bends will go.
d44a-skid-3.jpg

Before long youíve got a template.
d44a-skid-4.jpg
d44a-skid-5.jpg
d44a-skid-6.jpg

Quote:
post #300 of 456 Old 07-06-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I redrew the template on the computer and then transferred the measurements to a scrap chunk of 3/16th steel.
d44a-skid-7.jpg

Then cut it out with the grinder and do relief cuts for the bends. I actually meant to leave another wing on the steel to make it look like the last template shot, but I was tired. This is good enough for how long I want this axle to last.
d44a-skid-8.jpg

I had to grind down these two circles on the bottom of the housing to make things lay flat. As far as I can tell they are just casting marks.
d44a-skid-9.jpg

Then toss it in the vice and bend it up.
d44a-skid-10.jpg
d44a-skid-11.jpg

Test fitting as I go, the spot where it touches the tubes is ground down to have a bit of an arc to it for better contact.
d44a-skid-12.jpg

Tacked onto the axle and starting the welds on the skid face.
d44a-skid-13.jpg

All welded, the front follows the oil passage very tightly, the whole skid tucks as tight to the housing as possible to eliminate any chance of it moving.
d44a-skid-14.jpg

Tubes got primer and rattle can where they were cleaned and welded, skid got primer later.
d44a-skid-15.jpg

I thought it would be just that simple, change the fluid and throw the axle under. Unfortunately when I popped the cover off, I got a surprise.
clips.jpg

Quote:

Tags
build thread , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in