Mystery Front End Clicking - Help Please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-17-2021, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
HelpFromAbove

Mystery Front End Clicking - Help Please

Greetings all,

I have a clicking noise in the front end of my 93 ZJ, but all my attempts at identifying it and fixing it, including having professional shops look at it, have ended in failure.

I am hoping someone can look at the list of facts that I have and tell me what I am missing. Facts presented in chronological order below:

Root Issue Appears - Clicking sound from front end of car, sounds like front driver side. Sound is nearly identical to what you hear when a CV or Wheel Bearing Fails. Changes with speed. Gets louder when coasting, braking, or turning, much quieter when under load.
Replace both Half Axles and Wheel bearings - No change to sound
Take to shop #1 for diagnostics - Confirms problem exists, can't identify source, but fairly sure that it is not CVs or Bearings.
Replaced Brake Pads and Rotors - No change
Take to Shop #2 for diagnostics - Can replicate issue. Performs exhaustive tests including removing front drive shaft. Front driveshaft removal does not change the issue (therefore not the transfer case or front differential). Suspects issue with brakes (but this seems unlikely to me since I changed pads and rotors). Can't definitively locate the issue but they concur it sounds like driver side source.

And that brings me to today. Been fighting this for months and can't seem to fix it.

The car drives fine but after nearly 30 years with her, I know when something isn't right and is gonna be a problem down the raod. Please examine the data, and any assumptions I may have implicitly made. I'm happy to admit I'm human and might be missing the obvious (please be polite if that's the case).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2021, 12:11 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

When you changed the pads and rotors, did you notice wear notches on the knuckle where the pads slide? That's a commonly missed wear point and it can cause odd behaviors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2021, 12:20 PM
yjsaabman
1930 CJ2 

I'm just spitballing some ideas that should fairly simple to check.

Problem with the ABS sensor and or tone ring on the axle? Though the tone ring would have changed with the shaft change...

Have you tried swapping the wheels and tires side to side? Maybe something simple like a stone in the tread?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2021, 02:04 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
can you replicate the sound with the wheel in question in the air?

Follow the build!

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2021, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
HelpFromAbove

HelpFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Puddles View Post
can you replicate the sound with the wheel in question in the air?
No. The shop that did the most recent testing reported that they can not replicate the issue while it is on the lift.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2021, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
HelpFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
When you changed the pads and rotors, did you notice wear notches on the knuckle where the pads slide? That's a commonly missed wear point and it can cause odd behaviors.
I did notice the notches, but I put the shims in place that are designed for that occurrence. Furthermore, I had the issue before I changed the brakes, so I doubt that was it.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2021, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
HelpFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
I'm just spitballing some ideas that should fairly simple to check.

Problem with the ABS sensor and or tone ring on the axle? Though the tone ring would have changed with the shaft change...

Have you tried swapping the wheels and tires side to side? Maybe something simple like a stone in the tread?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I've checked the tread for stones and there aren't any, plus its much more "clunk"-y than that would be... but swapping tires side to side is a great idea. I'll give that a go. If it follows it I'll be confused, but it would at least be another data point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in