mysterious noise under the belly of the beast - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
merc07

1998 ZJ 

mysterious noise under the belly of the beast

well lately, ive been hearing a metal on metal popping noise when I take a turn soo, I got under the beast with my grease gun in hand greased all fittings and hand checked all suspension components well... my 6 month old track bar had a half inch of play up and down and maybe 3/4" play side to side on the tie rod style joint which to my surprise is NOT causing DW only some bump steer. so I put in an order with nick aka kolak for an IRO double shear track bar so im super excited to get that puppy installed! it was a great pleasure dealing with him, he will get my business from now on with his GREAT customer service! THANKS KOLAK!

98 4.0, 33s, 4" zone coils, IRO front double shear tb, IRO rear tb, JKS discos, crager v-5s, steering gear brace, Rustys fuel tank skid, front ADDCO sway bar, IRO "OTK" steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 PM
kump2692
2012 WK 

The problem happens to all zj's who do not have the option for 2wheel drive. It happened to my car. The Viscous coupling has broken (to fix it is about 500 bucks to buy and then gotta pay for labor which takes about 2 hours. You could also install and transfer box to have the option in your car for 2wheel drive. The cheapest option is to take out the drive shaft and drive without 4wd. I took mine out about 4 months ago and havent had a problem. In the winter i'm going to put it back on and just deal with the turning problem for a few months with the snow.

Black 1998 Grand Cherokee TSI got totaled but now upgraded to a 2012 WK2.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
merc07

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kump2692 View Post
The problem happens to all zj's who do not have the option for 2wheel drive. It happened to my car. The Viscous coupling has broken (to fix it is about 500 bucks to buy and then gotta pay for labor which takes about 2 hours. You could also install and transfer box to have the option in your car for 2wheel drive. The cheapest option is to take out the drive shaft and drive without 4wd. I took mine out about 4 months ago and havent had a problem. In the winter i'm going to put it back on and just deal with the turning problem for a few months with the snow.
well...um...ok. I sure don't have a 249 tc and in my post I described what the problem and fix was but... thanks anyway

98 4.0, 33s, 4" zone coils, IRO front double shear tb, IRO rear tb, JKS discos, crager v-5s, steering gear brace, Rustys fuel tank skid, front ADDCO sway bar, IRO "OTK" steering.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc07 View Post
well...um...ok. I sure don't have a 249 tc and in my post I described what the problem and fix was but... thanks anyway
Someones hittin the bottle....

He's right though with the 249 anyways. Except that is doesn't cost that much. I paid 320 for the part and put it in myself.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
merc07

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Someones hittin the bottle....

He's right though with the 249 anyways. Except that is doesn't cost that much. I paid 320 for the part and put it in myself.
lol ya no kidding im glad I got a 242 so I don't have to mess with a vc, down the road im gonna pick up another zj most likely a niner so I might keep the 249 in it and just get a new vc cuz I know the 249 is a great tc. how long did it take you to replace the vc polka?

post #6 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

It took all day. I didn't remove the case. If I had to do it again I could do it much quicker just from seeing it and understanding how it fits on there. Most of the time was spent trying to get the snap ring off to remove the tail cone because if you leave the case on you are working blind and only have a mechanics mirror to remove it. After that it took about 20 minutes to remove and install the new VC. I had to improvise tools.

Here is the thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...249-a-1275779/
post #7 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
merc07

1998 ZJ 

well when the time comes for this repair (once I get a niner lol) I will definitely be well prepared with the info in that thread!

Tags
death wobble , dw , lift , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in