My zj stop moving when I press on the gas - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LordHobbit

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-24-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
ZblackliZard

Garage
My zj stop moving when I press on the gas

First of all let me start with some background info 10-50 miles before this incident two things happened. First one, I had electrical issue with my car (blowing engine control fuse) ,after a lot of struggle and a visit to an electrician, the electrician decided to cut a blue wire going down to the transmission. I'd later notice the overdrive switch isn't working anymore after checking the manual I think the wire leads to the overdrive solenoid.
I drove it a few miles after that.
Second thing that happened, the car was overheating and radiator water was boiling. As the radiator was clogged I changed it. No more issues from this side. (However when I unmounted the radiator no oil came out of the transmission cooler is it normal?)
My zj is a 1993 awd 5.2l

What happens is when the car will move when I give little to no gas, it changes gears normally, gets into reverse,neutral,drive.. no noise whatsoever. It happened out of the blue while I was going uphill.

I think I said it all, if anyone have a clue of what is happening i'd be infinitely grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Born into Off-road, Discovering the Jeep world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2019, 06:03 PM
V8GCZJ

Did you check the trans fluid level?
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

Your "electrician" is a hack. It is embarassingly inappropriate to just cut wires for the heck of it without actually repairing the fault. I hope you didn't pay him much.

Your transmission needs some love. When was it last maintained?
Timo_90xj likes this.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...

post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
ZblackliZard

Garage
forgot to mention I did check my transmission, two odd things. First, although it looked fine it did smell burnt.Second the previous it seems to be overfilled, the previous owner that is a friend of mine is pretty sure he did not overfill it.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
ZblackliZard

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
Your "electrician" is a hack. It is embarassingly inappropriate to just cut wires for the heck of it without actually repairing the fault. I hope you didn't pay him much.

Your transmission needs some love. When was it last maintained?
Well, if it make you feel better i didn't pay him yet, and don't plan on doing so. maintenance as in fluid change? less than a year ago as mentioned before not by me though. Do you have any idea what could cause the short? (it is a pretty strong short)

Born into Off-road, Discovering the Jeep world
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 12:47 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Transmission basic maintenance on these: fluid & filter change, front & rear band adjustment. If those are not done when they should be, expect seeing physical transmission failure at around 150-200k miles.

Fuses blow for two reasons: there is a short, or a component/ components in the circuit is/ are drawing too many amps.
Use the factory service manual (FSM) wiring diagrams, measure each wire with a multimeter possibly affected, and check the wire harnesses for cut wires & rubbing between body/ components.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in