my 94 ZJ is having an issue with the fuel gauge - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

my 94 ZJ is having an issue with the fuel gauge

So to start off with I have been crawling all over the ZJ forums and there are a couple threads already that are similar but none that exactly answer my question.
I bought the jeep from a highway patrol impound lot with 100k so I have no idea about the history of it but the night I was driving it home I noticed the overhead display for DTE just read "OC" which wasn't a huge deal since I was only paying $900 for it and everything else was working. but a couple weeks after I bought it the gauge dropped to empty and its sat there through about four tanks of gas.
I finally had time this week to drop the tank and check out the float. and I hit it with an ohm meter and it ranges between 5.5 and 3 depending on where I position the float so I'm assuming its still working which leads me to believe its a wiring issue but I have no clue which wires go where and am in dire need of some sort of diagram or any advise on the issue period.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2015, 02:50 AM
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

As for the DYE reading OC, that's a fuse/relay issue iirc. My overhead display reads OC for outside temp., I believe the related fuses sit literally beneath the glove box interior.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Cbob4

1995 ZJ 

When the solder joint on the ground wire on my float broke, my gauge and DTE did the exact same thing. If it was a blown fuse issue with the O/H, it wouldn't display at all.

Remember, floats (and thus the fuel gauge readings) work on resistance to ground. No "good" ground, no reading...

post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflewelling View Post
As for the DYE reading OC, that's a fuse/relay issue iirc. My overhead display reads OC for outside temp., I believe the related fuses sit literally beneath the glove box interior.
thank you I'll look into those relays behind the glove box.

but as far as solder joints go I checked all the ones ones on the pump assembly so its fairly safe to say that the issue isn't down there. unless the ohms its reading aren't right. but I cant seem to find any info on what the resistance is supposed to be. . .

Tags
fuel level sensor , fuel tank , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in