JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   My 5.2 Build Thread (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/my-5-2-build-thread-1512870/)

moparlover1992 05-03-2013 11:58 PM

Rust converters are a joke. You cannot stop or convert rust. You can only seal it. Cut off the oxygen to it. That is what por15 does. I'd check amazon or else a local parts store should be able to get it. A few around here had it. Be prepared to shell out some coin though. It's like $50 a can and then the cleaner and metal prep and primer(if you buy their primer) are all more. I think the primer was around the same as the por15, but the others were around 20 each? Can't remember except that it was spendy. Lol. But if you hate rust as much as me it was well worth it

ZJNewbi3 05-04-2013 08:53 AM

Wow that is costly! haha I'll look at an auto store next time I'm there. Summer is around the corner so road salt isn't a problem anymore. :D Trying to save for a lift though, that will most likely go on first. :2thumbsup:

moparlover1992 05-04-2013 11:19 AM

Gotta have priorities! Lol. What u thinking for a lift?

KyleSekora 05-04-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 15385794)

Just found a link about the air hat might follow through if I can find a nice you-pull-yard in/around Milwaukee. What I was thinking was getting a cone filter setting it up in the box (leaving the top off) then get better high flow plumbing from the hat to the box. NOT sure if this would even do anything for me?

I'm not sure if you would see any gains. My 5.2 has a full k and n fipk intake. And I don't notice any gains but i have oversized tires.
The stock box is so good because of how well it protects against mud, debris, and etc.
Also to really see gains your going to have to redo the exhaust also. And for that you should talk to kolak. He'll recommend 3 inches with a high flow cat new muffler and to fix the part of the pipe is crimped.

Texas ZJ1 05-04-2013 02:38 PM

Air intake by itself gets you nothing.

ZJNewbi3 05-05-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparlover1992 (Post 15388186)
Gotta have priorities! Lol. What u thinking for a lift?

1.75" lift pucks + 0.75" stackable coil spring isolators (since mine look pretty much shot) all from IRO. Have to save $400 for everything including new shocks and alignment. I'm expecting to sit around 2.25" with my 235/75/15 BFG Rugged Terrains. Not going to get bigger tires because they were a graduation gift from my parents.

ZJNewbi3 05-05-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSekora (Post 15388453)
I'm not sure if you would see any gains. My 5.2 has a full k and n fipk intake. And I don't notice any gains but i have oversized tires.
The stock box is so good because of how well it protects against mud, debris, and etc.
Also to really see gains your going to have to redo the exhaust also. And for that you should talk to kolak. He'll recommend 3 inches with a high flow cat new muffler and to fix the part of the pipe is crimped.

The previous owner put a new cat and muffler on within a few months before I bought it but the piping is all stock (stupid idea) and I don't know if they are high flow or not but i can tell you they aren't 3". Sounds like I'll have to start playing the lottery for that upgrade :thumbdown:

moparlover1992 05-05-2013 12:38 AM

Hey man I have a Rubicon express 2.25'' budget boost that is new and unused (since I went suspension lift) at my place I have no use for. Would love to help you get in the air cheaper than that! Lol. Pm me if you're interested

KyleSekora 05-05-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 15390664)

The previous owner put a new cat and muffler on within a few months before I bought it but the piping is all stock (stupid idea) and I don't know if they are high flow or not but i can tell you they aren't 3". Sounds like I'll have to start playing the lottery for that upgrade :thumbdown:

Haha. Same with mine (I've had her less then a month) and most likely isn't a high flow. They probably went the cheap route.
I'm putting on my flame suit now.... What I'm planning on doing is an e cutout. I know everyone here hates them but I like the sound of my 8. That way I can bypass my cat and muffler.

PolkaPower 05-05-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSekora (Post 15391157)
Haha. Same with mine (I've had her less then a month) and most likely isn't a high flow. They probably went the cheap route.
I'm putting on my flame suit now.... What I'm planning on doing is an e cutout. I know everyone here hates them but I like the sound of my 8. That way I can bypass my cat and muffler.

Just get a Chevy pickup. I see those guys all the time. Extremely loud exhaust, hardly moving down the road lol clowns.:rofl:

rebelbowtie 05-05-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparlover1992
Rust converters are a joke. You cannot stop or convert rust. You can only seal it. Cut off the oxygen to it. That is what por15 does. I'd check amazon or else a local parts store should be able to get it. A few around here had it. Be prepared to shell out some coin though. It's like $50 a can and then the cleaner and metal prep and primer(if you buy their primer) are all more. I think the primer was around the same as the por15, but the others were around 20 each? Can't remember except that it was spendy. Lol. But if you hate rust as much as me it was well worth it

WRONG you can convert rust using chemicals. OSPHO is a brand of powerful rust converter that is phosphoric acid that converts the rust to iron phosphate which is inert. You can then use a salt remover and pressure washer to remove the rest of the contaminates from the metal and put down a good primer and paint.

moparlover1992 05-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelbowtie (Post 15391185)

WRONG you can convert rust using chemicals. OSPHO is a brand of powerful rust converter that is phosphoric acid that converts the rust to iron phosphate which is inert. You can then use a salt remover and pressure washer to remove the rest of the contaminates from the metal and put down a good primer and paint.

Ok, I stand corrected. However, in a climate as salty as Iowa I've found you must SEAL it or it will come back. And most likely that is the one of the few high quality rust convertors. Just like por15 costs $45 more than rustoleum that also 'seals rust' lol. And just so you know, the second step of por15 is a metal prep that contains phosphoric acid as well and can also be used to convert rust only. So if you seal it with por15 after that and then light sand and topcoat you get extreme protection. Just my. 02

moparlover1992 05-05-2013 08:18 AM

My bad iron phosphate not phosphoric acid lol. It's too early yet :)

rebelbowtie 05-05-2013 08:39 AM

That's why I followed up with using a salt remover and pressure washer, then prime and paint. This of course is an industrial solution but you can purchase these types of products at the right retailer. I don't believe any single coating system will actually stop rust, converted or not; also sorry for using the CAPITAL letters on you, you're right it is early.

KyleSekora 05-05-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15391164)

Just get a Chevy pickup. I see those guys all the time. Extremely loud exhaust, hardly moving down the road lol clowns.:rofl:

Haha. When I bought my jeep I wasn't expecting to go anywhere fast. Just saying.
I love my jeep and the sound she makes. I swear its the only pointless mod in planning.


The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.