JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   My 5.2 Build Thread (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/my-5-2-build-thread-1512870/)

ZJNewbi3 04-22-2013 10:53 AM

My 5.2 Build Thread
 
1 Attachment(s)
Bought it Mid-October for $1900 had 170k miles. The guy didn't like American made vehicles and had to drive distances to work. He already had a Toyota sitting in his drive.

Positives: New breaks, new muffler, new cat (neither are anything fancy), new 4WD switch, new headers, newer spark wires, new Die Hard Gold battery, and other little things.

Negatives: Plastic bumper is cracked (but stable), oil pan gasket leak, multiple dead interior lights, VIC being a VIC, crappy aftermarket radio, all 4 Infinity speakers blown, front leather seats are ripped, Good Year tires all with low & different tread wear & LEAKY, factory spare tire, VERY first owner was a smoker, dash heat doesn't work (floor and windshield work), A/C needs to be re-charged, front door pins need replacing, small/normal Wisconsin rust spots, rims weren't well taken care of, and probably other minor things.

Found the date on the PCM and Infinity amp of March 23, 1995. I'm assuming this is when she was born?

How she sat after buying:

DevonsJeep 04-22-2013 10:58 AM

Congrats.
So whats first on the agenda?

ZJNewbi3 04-22-2013 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The inside was cleaned out nicely, i spread baking soda everywhere on the floor to get rid of the minor smokers smell. It wasn't even bad when I bought it.

Fixed/Added list:

new lamps in the head lights
camo seat covers for the front
new BFG Rugged Terrain's (235/75/15)
good rim clean up
new fuel pump & filter, new PCM (both un-needed but keeping in anyway)
New 25A mini fuse (reason I replaced PCM and fuel pump)
paint touch up's over small rust spots
new rear wiper arm
JVC head unit
4 Pioneer speakers
compact Kenwood subwoofer
sawed off antenna and ran an internal one
replaced rusted interior panel screws
fixed loose tailgate panel
took out the VIC and made a cubby
repaired the loose center counsel
Stop leak in radiator

This is how she sits now:

StrateLOSS 04-22-2013 12:17 PM

pretty nice, is this your primary vehicle?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

ZJNewbi3 04-22-2013 12:19 PM

As you can see she's got the leaking cardboard under her :( don't want to ruin the drive anymore than I did already haha. So as Devon asked heres a list of things to do!

Get new radiator installed (graduation gift)
Fix door pins
Plasti-Dip rims black OR get them professionally cleaned up
Red LED interior lights (everything but the dash lights for now)
2" BB with new shocks from IRO
Front tow points
Hitch
AUX rear back-up light
Custom air intake (don't want the factory and don't want to pay a lot for one)
MAYBE a single 10" kicker...nothing too over-kill...
MAYBE front sway quick disconnects

The lights will be going in once they come in the mail. This is my daily driver. My family owns a cabin in the Upper Michigan, and I'll be doing some trailing there.


Random question: The worst rust spot I have is on the bottom of the running board near front fender where no one can see, would I be able to get away with plasti-dipping this to slow down the rust? What else can I do to help slow it down? After driving in the winter, once I parked at work, I'd take my snow brush and brush the whole underside to get ride of the built up snow/slush/ice :D

ZJNewbi3 04-23-2013 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Listed I took out my VIC and made a cubby heres a pic of it with my iTouch 4th Generation in it for size comparison. I pretty much took out the screen and two circuit boards then trimmed out some of the plastic in the basket, finally neatly put some Gorilla Duct Tape all around for grip and looks.

Midnightluckey 04-23-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3
Listed I took out my VIC and made a cubby heres a pic of it with my iTouch 4th Generation in it for size comparison. I pretty much took out the screen and two circuit boards then trimmed out some of the plastic in the basket, finally neatly put some Gorilla Duct Tape all around for grip and looks.

You know 2wd zjs came from the factory with a cubby, right? Like $5-$10 at a junkyard, and it looks a lot better than a gutted Vic. :D

Myusername1674 04-23-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 15334989)
Listed I took out my VIC and made a cubby heres a pic of it with my iTouch 4th Generation in it for size comparison. I pretty much took out the screen and two circuit boards then trimmed out some of the plastic in the basket, finally neatly put some Gorilla Duct Tape all around for grip and looks.

Hey that's a good idea, free to. I may do this.

I would just go to a yard, but I really have yet to find a good one in my area.

Like the Jeep! Looks exactly like mine when I first got it. Look forward to seeing the progress!

OH, And I would suggest dipping the rims, much cheaper. I wouldn't think it would be worth the money to get them painted the right way.

ZJNewbi3 04-24-2013 08:34 AM

Thanks man! And I probably will end up dipping the rims. Hopefully it will happen soon along with my BB! Just need the money for it :brickwall

ZJNewbi3 05-03-2013 11:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ah finally got all my LED's. After consulting with my supervisor (degree in advertising art so she should have good color taste right?) I chose red. Looks pretty awesome honestly! I did just about everything BUT the dash lights/switch panels AND the lights on the front doors (drivers side doesn't work will fix it later). I also made a custom T-case shifter bezel. Forgot to open the glove box but I replaced that with a white LED because its more practical. Will do the dash in red eventually...

Bought from: http://www.superbrightleds.com

List of replaced lights:
Glove box...........................(194 wedge)
Lighter...............................(194 wedge)
A/C & Heat controls..............(x4 4mm high power neo bulbs)
Shifter...............................(194 wedge)
T-case shifter......................(194 wedge)
Ignition ring light.................(74 wedge)
Front foot well lights............(BA15S bulb)
Front ceiling lights...............(x2 578 Festoon)
Back seat ceiling lights.........(x2 194 wedge OR x2 906 wedge + 561 festoon [DIFFERENT THAN 578!])
Cargo light.........................(578 Festoon)

Total cost: $43.78 w/ shipping

Myusername1674 05-03-2013 11:41 AM

Nice! I really like that deep red color. Looks great!

KyleSekora 05-03-2013 01:22 PM

If you open up your drivers door. There will be a sticker which should tell you the manufacturing date. :D
And most of the guys on here will tell you to keep that factory box! But to do the Durango air hat swap.
For the rust most people I have talked to say use some steel wool and get the really bad rust off. Then prime and paint it. I don't see why plastidip wouldn't work.
Looks good man. Look forward to following this build.

moparlover1992 05-03-2013 05:13 PM

for the rust under my jeep i did it the right way(at least what works for someone who lives in one of the saltiest states). wire brush it as much as you can, clean it up, por 15 it(using their cleaner and metal prep of course), then light sand and undercoat. i did this to the underneath of my jeep and looks awesome. next will be to do it to the rockers and bottoms of the doors only instead of undercoating it will get self etching primer and factory paint :2thumbsup: should have easy access when the cladding is off getting painted lol. por 15 bonds to rust like noting ive ever seen. however if there are holes, then fiberglass bondo is your friend :laugh:

ZJNewbi3 05-03-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparlover1992 (Post 15385473)
for the rust under my jeep i did it the right way(at least what works for someone who lives in one of the saltiest states). wire brush it as much as you can, clean it up, por 15 it(using their cleaner and metal prep of course), then light sand and undercoat. i did this to the underneath of my jeep and looks awesome. next will be to do it to the rockers and bottoms of the doors only instead of undercoating it will get self etching primer and factory paint :2thumbsup: should have easy access when the cladding is off getting painted lol. por 15 bonds to rust like noting ive ever seen. however if there are holes, then fiberglass bondo is your friend :laugh:

Yea I might have to bondo it. My dad bought me some "rust converter" chemical to try. I'm thinking of using it on the lip of the hood (open it up, look right under the Jeep logo) and the whole bottom lip of the tail gate. They aren't BAD but I just don't want it to get worse. Where can I find Por 15? Just did a quick search online and Menards nor Home Cheapo have it.

ZJNewbi3 05-03-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSekora (Post 15384516)
If you open up your drivers door. There will be a sticker which should tell you the manufacturing date. :D
And most of the guys on here will tell you to keep that factory box! But to do the Durango air hat swap.
For the rust most people I have talked to say use some steel wool and get the really bad rust off. Then prime and paint it. I don't see why plastidip wouldn't work.
Looks good man. Look forward to following this build.

Just found a link about the air hat might follow through if I can find a nice you-pull-yard in/around Milwaukee. What I was thinking was getting a cone filter setting it up in the box (leaving the top off) then get better high flow plumbing from the hat to the box. NOT sure if this would even do anything for me?

moparlover1992 05-03-2013 11:58 PM

Rust converters are a joke. You cannot stop or convert rust. You can only seal it. Cut off the oxygen to it. That is what por15 does. I'd check amazon or else a local parts store should be able to get it. A few around here had it. Be prepared to shell out some coin though. It's like $50 a can and then the cleaner and metal prep and primer(if you buy their primer) are all more. I think the primer was around the same as the por15, but the others were around 20 each? Can't remember except that it was spendy. Lol. But if you hate rust as much as me it was well worth it

ZJNewbi3 05-04-2013 08:53 AM

Wow that is costly! haha I'll look at an auto store next time I'm there. Summer is around the corner so road salt isn't a problem anymore. :D Trying to save for a lift though, that will most likely go on first. :2thumbsup:

moparlover1992 05-04-2013 11:19 AM

Gotta have priorities! Lol. What u thinking for a lift?

KyleSekora 05-04-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 15385794)

Just found a link about the air hat might follow through if I can find a nice you-pull-yard in/around Milwaukee. What I was thinking was getting a cone filter setting it up in the box (leaving the top off) then get better high flow plumbing from the hat to the box. NOT sure if this would even do anything for me?

I'm not sure if you would see any gains. My 5.2 has a full k and n fipk intake. And I don't notice any gains but i have oversized tires.
The stock box is so good because of how well it protects against mud, debris, and etc.
Also to really see gains your going to have to redo the exhaust also. And for that you should talk to kolak. He'll recommend 3 inches with a high flow cat new muffler and to fix the part of the pipe is crimped.

Texas ZJ1 05-04-2013 02:38 PM

Air intake by itself gets you nothing.

ZJNewbi3 05-05-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparlover1992 (Post 15388186)
Gotta have priorities! Lol. What u thinking for a lift?

1.75" lift pucks + 0.75" stackable coil spring isolators (since mine look pretty much shot) all from IRO. Have to save $400 for everything including new shocks and alignment. I'm expecting to sit around 2.25" with my 235/75/15 BFG Rugged Terrains. Not going to get bigger tires because they were a graduation gift from my parents.

ZJNewbi3 05-05-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSekora (Post 15388453)
I'm not sure if you would see any gains. My 5.2 has a full k and n fipk intake. And I don't notice any gains but i have oversized tires.
The stock box is so good because of how well it protects against mud, debris, and etc.
Also to really see gains your going to have to redo the exhaust also. And for that you should talk to kolak. He'll recommend 3 inches with a high flow cat new muffler and to fix the part of the pipe is crimped.

The previous owner put a new cat and muffler on within a few months before I bought it but the piping is all stock (stupid idea) and I don't know if they are high flow or not but i can tell you they aren't 3". Sounds like I'll have to start playing the lottery for that upgrade :thumbdown:

moparlover1992 05-05-2013 12:38 AM

Hey man I have a Rubicon express 2.25'' budget boost that is new and unused (since I went suspension lift) at my place I have no use for. Would love to help you get in the air cheaper than that! Lol. Pm me if you're interested

KyleSekora 05-05-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 15390664)

The previous owner put a new cat and muffler on within a few months before I bought it but the piping is all stock (stupid idea) and I don't know if they are high flow or not but i can tell you they aren't 3". Sounds like I'll have to start playing the lottery for that upgrade :thumbdown:

Haha. Same with mine (I've had her less then a month) and most likely isn't a high flow. They probably went the cheap route.
I'm putting on my flame suit now.... What I'm planning on doing is an e cutout. I know everyone here hates them but I like the sound of my 8. That way I can bypass my cat and muffler.

PolkaPower 05-05-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSekora (Post 15391157)
Haha. Same with mine (I've had her less then a month) and most likely isn't a high flow. They probably went the cheap route.
I'm putting on my flame suit now.... What I'm planning on doing is an e cutout. I know everyone here hates them but I like the sound of my 8. That way I can bypass my cat and muffler.

Just get a Chevy pickup. I see those guys all the time. Extremely loud exhaust, hardly moving down the road lol clowns.:rofl:

rebelbowtie 05-05-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparlover1992
Rust converters are a joke. You cannot stop or convert rust. You can only seal it. Cut off the oxygen to it. That is what por15 does. I'd check amazon or else a local parts store should be able to get it. A few around here had it. Be prepared to shell out some coin though. It's like $50 a can and then the cleaner and metal prep and primer(if you buy their primer) are all more. I think the primer was around the same as the por15, but the others were around 20 each? Can't remember except that it was spendy. Lol. But if you hate rust as much as me it was well worth it

WRONG you can convert rust using chemicals. OSPHO is a brand of powerful rust converter that is phosphoric acid that converts the rust to iron phosphate which is inert. You can then use a salt remover and pressure washer to remove the rest of the contaminates from the metal and put down a good primer and paint.

moparlover1992 05-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelbowtie (Post 15391185)

WRONG you can convert rust using chemicals. OSPHO is a brand of powerful rust converter that is phosphoric acid that converts the rust to iron phosphate which is inert. You can then use a salt remover and pressure washer to remove the rest of the contaminates from the metal and put down a good primer and paint.

Ok, I stand corrected. However, in a climate as salty as Iowa I've found you must SEAL it or it will come back. And most likely that is the one of the few high quality rust convertors. Just like por15 costs $45 more than rustoleum that also 'seals rust' lol. And just so you know, the second step of por15 is a metal prep that contains phosphoric acid as well and can also be used to convert rust only. So if you seal it with por15 after that and then light sand and topcoat you get extreme protection. Just my. 02

moparlover1992 05-05-2013 08:18 AM

My bad iron phosphate not phosphoric acid lol. It's too early yet :)

rebelbowtie 05-05-2013 08:39 AM

That's why I followed up with using a salt remover and pressure washer, then prime and paint. This of course is an industrial solution but you can purchase these types of products at the right retailer. I don't believe any single coating system will actually stop rust, converted or not; also sorry for using the CAPITAL letters on you, you're right it is early.

KyleSekora 05-05-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15391164)

Just get a Chevy pickup. I see those guys all the time. Extremely loud exhaust, hardly moving down the road lol clowns.:rofl:

Haha. When I bought my jeep I wasn't expecting to go anywhere fast. Just saying.
I love my jeep and the sound she makes. I swear its the only pointless mod in planning.

PolkaPower 05-05-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSekora (Post 15391405)
Haha. When I bought my jeep I wasn't expecting to go anywhere fast. Just saying.
I love my jeep and the sound she makes. I swear its the only pointless mod in planning.

Can you pass inspection in Maryland with a cut out? I would expect them to put in a tracking device and camera on your ZJ. And assign a inspector to ride around without everyday to make sure you are not breaking the law. :laugh:

Effing Maryland lol.

KyleSekora 05-05-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15391436)

Can you pass inspection in Maryland with a cut out? I would expect them to put in a tracking device and camera on your ZJ. And assign a inspector to ride around without everyday to make sure you are not breaking the law. :laugh:

Effing Maryland lol.

Lol. No you can't. But thankfully you only have to get inspected once and emmisions is only every two years. So every two years I have to take it out and put a piece of pipe in its place.
I wouldn't put it past Maryland. Freaking ridiculous state.

ZJNewbi3 05-05-2013 10:16 AM

Don't know Wisconsin's laws on that but I can tell you I hear plenty of muffler drones going by my house, one used to be my dad til he traded his Dakota in for a new Dodge Journey :brickwall

moparlover1992 05-05-2013 11:48 AM

I love how quick the 318 is in my jeep. It's a pickup motor(granted a small one) in a much lighter unibody jeep... Plenty of power. I can't imagine how fast the niners are... My buddies 96 ram with a 360 blew the doors off a v10 ford in town XD and it had two year old fuel and needed a tune up lol

ZJNewbi3 05-15-2013 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I got my new radiator in! Was estimated $500 final total come to $475! (Graduation gift so I didn't pay but got to keep the difference) Also had new hoses put in as well and the guy cleaned all the oil off of my A/C rad. Drove it home and found tranny fluid leaking pretty bad :( called him, took it back, and he noticed he didn't connect the tranny line to the rad tight enough. Fixed the problem, and topped off the tranny fluid. (Guess you could say I got a free tranny flush out of this! :D) I'd probably go back to the shop if needed for any other repairs. One simple mistake.

ZJNewbi3 05-15-2013 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also found a broken speaker wire in the rear right door! Going to check the rear left for a broken window motor wire and drivers door for broken light wire this week. Planning on adding 2" of wire in-between the two ends, solder, and shrink tube em.

PolkaPower 05-15-2013 09:01 AM

I paid 120 bucks for my radiator from rock auto and installation was free. You should learn to pick up a wrench and save yourself a ton of money.

JohnCrabtree 05-15-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower
I paid 120 bucks for my radiator from rock auto and installation was free. You should learn to pick up a wrench and save yourself a ton of money.

No kidding. That was my thought exactly. My father was about to pay the dealer $900 to replace my PCM. 2 hours of labor for a PCM?? What the hell? Its 1 bolt and 2 nuts, pull the coolant resivoir, then 4 screws.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

ZJNewbi3 05-15-2013 08:42 PM

This is my first vehicle I've owned and never worked on one before. My uncle said there's too many things that could go wrong with a radiator replacement for me to do it myself plus its my daily driver and if its out of commission I'm screwed. My grandparents also offered to pay for it as my graduation gift.

I don't have the time, skill level, knowledge, or the best tools, to do it myself. So far I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, pcm, all speakers, after market headunit, and subwoofer w/amp myself. Soon a BB lift, oil pan gasket, and door pins. The savings from doing the oil pan gasket myself is $450 alone! So I'm obviously not a lazy person.

I'm trying and would love to learn along the way but between family, my job, trying to get a second job, and finishing school there isn't time. When I'm out of school I'll have more time. I'm satisfied with the work done and don't even care about the mistake because we are all humans and not perfect. It's actually my mistake too of not checking the work done before leaving the shop.

Mentioned my uncle because he owned a 1994 4.0L Laredo as his second vehicle. So he knows some things about mine and quite a bit about vehicles. Didn't mean to sound rude here and I know you ment well by telling me I can do it myself but it came off as saying I was lazy.

moparlover1992 05-15-2013 09:07 PM

Hey man I took mine out for some room to work for the water pump replacement and if I had someone else pay I'd save myself the headache too lol. And Ive done a ton of work to my jeep. Plus it would be impolite to do it yourself and take the rest of the cash when it was a gift for a specific purpose.


The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.