• 1 Post By RedRiverT
  • 1 Post By corpseal
  • 1 Post By Loki720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Skippynutz123
1997 ZJ 

motor shuts down while driving 98 JGC 4.0

I get a CIL after turning, and then my Jeep just mysteriously shuts down. The lights, and all the power is normal, pull over, put it in park, and it restarts no problem. It has happened twice in the last few days. I also get a code of p0320. Crankshaft sensor, but I have had the CPS go out on my other Jeep, and it just would not start, no spark. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 05:31 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

There are tons of threads on all the things that can cause the shut off / stalling problem. Electrical ground corrosion, computer, shorted wire to the O2 sensor, crank sensor, Neutral Safety Switch, etc.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...talls-1407423/
Skippynutz123 likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 09:46 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Yep, you will go through the process, check all the sensors and grounds. If all are good, it could be the PCM. We replaced ours back in 2012 and its been fine ever since.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

post #4 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 10:52 AM
V8GCZJ

If it's showing a code the pcm is sensing a problem with it. It needs this input for the engine to run! Can be intermittent or not work at all. Replace it and it should solve the issue.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-20-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Skippynutz123
1997 ZJ 

It was the Camshaft Position Sensor. I took my jeep outside, started it, and then began fiddling with the wiring going to the distributor, and the engine died. Loosened the 2 screws holding the distributor cap on, and slipped the CPS off. Getting a new one today ($85). The funny thing is, I put it back in, and started the jeep, and then fiddled with the wire again, but this time it did not die. Then, while the jeep was running, I completely disconnected the CPS, and the engine kept running. But a CIL did come up p0340. I'm just going to get the new one today, and see if that was the problem, will update tonight. Thanks for all your input!
Benthal8 likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-20-2019, 01:14 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Those wires are one of the common problem areas. Well, if not "common" at least quite a few other people have reported a fault with them. It might be fixable.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-20-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Skippynutz123
1997 ZJ 

So NOT it. I put in the new sensor, it is not called a Cam position sensor, it is called a distributor pick-up sensor, I have read people are buying the whole distributor to get that sensor, probably because of how it is named. Anyways, it is still doing the same thing, dying while driving, and then won't start for a few minutes. It's kinda weird, while driving, it will abruptly jerk, and vibrate, and then completely die, causing the power steering to stop, but everything else powered, is fine. I think I'll probably have to do the pain in the arse Crank sensor next (It's located on top of the bellhousing, in the most awkward spot) Anyone know if the CKP sensor can "start" to go out? Because my experience with them has proven that they go out all at once. Update later.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ch...-sensor-test-1
This is valid for your crank sensor even though it doesn't list it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/testing-cps-5563/
Another one.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/.../#post12715253
dist. pick up sensor, pick up coil, cam position sensor, some other name I think, all the same thing

For changing the crank position sensor, get some long 3/8" drive extensions, a U-joint, and a deep well socket and you shouldn't have much trouble. The ratchet needs to be back at the end of the trans or along the driveshaft. It's a little tight getting your hand up to it to get the socket on, but doable. After hearing the horror stories, I was surprised how easy it actually was. I had something like a 21" and 16" extension, maybe 18". I know one was super long. It's in a post on here, the exact arrangement I used, from 2015 maybe. Well, it's not hard to figure out, socket, U-joint, enough extensions to get the ratchet back to where you have room up in the tunnel and it comes right out.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-20-2019, 09:22 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Oh yeah, the "abruptly jerk" sounds like a problem I had, and quite a few others here, that ended up being rectified by a new PCM. The jerk is it firing at the wrong time, I figure. Not much else could cause such a violent jolt.

When the engine shuts off, it is not turning the power steering pump, that's why you loose PS.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-22-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Skippynutz123
1997 ZJ 

It was the Crank Position sensor. I put a new one in, and wazzam! Fixed! I read on a thread that these sensors can be thermal, and now I know. Just passed my first ASE engine repair certification, and one of the questions was exactly what I just went through! Crazy...
post #11 of 14 Old 10-22-2019, 12:42 PM
corpseal
1994 ZJ 

Congratulations, SkippyNuts, on the ASE and the jeep fix.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Loki720

Hey man, I've got a 97 zj (basically the same jeep as yours) similar issue. Multiple misfire codes I've done so much to this in an attempt to fix the issues. Recently it's doing the same thing as you describe, usually when braking, engine shuts down. Sometimes when idling, same thing. The other day I had to do some running around, it shut down on me while driving. Took a few cranks to get it to start. Got it going, did my stuff and started heading home. Ran really rough, felt like it wanted to stall out a few times. Got into the driveway, engine cut out refused to start, after a few times trying to crank it over had white smoke pouring from the air box, tracked it as far back as the throttle body. Cannot figure out what's going on. It only does this when it's at temp for an extended time
post #13 of 14 Old 10-23-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Skippynutz123
1997 ZJ 

Check your oil, if it is milky or foamy, it has a head gasket failure. Depending on how long, and how much coolant has crossed over to your intake/exhaust, hopefully there is no extensive damage. White smoke is usually the first sign of coolant burning in the combustion chamber.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-25-2019, 07:12 AM
Loki720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippynutz123 View Post
It was the Crank Position sensor. I put a new one in, and wazzam! Fixed! I read on a thread that these sensors can be thermal, and now I know. Just passed my first ASE engine repair certification, and one of the questions was exactly what I just went through! Crazy...
Had the exact same issue and exact same repair!! Congrats on your jeep and cert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in