Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Mopar Reusable Transmission Pan Gasket

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  BorderWalker 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

So I'm planing to break the forsaken seal and drop my transmission pan so as to tighten the bands, replace the filter, and generally inspect how it looks inside the 42re after 230K Miles. So far as I know it has never been touched, but I've kept an eye on the fluid every so often via Dipstick and while a dirty brown, it's not burnt. Just old.

However, my question(s), as the thread title illustrates, pertains to the Mopar Reusable gasket.

1) From what I can tell, the part number is 4295875AC, correct?
2) Was the Gasket installed from Factory? Meaning there's a chance I already have one on there that just never got replaced?
2a) Even if it WAS from Factory, should I still replace it after 23 years and 230K miles?
3) Is the Crown Auto version of this gasket the same as the Mopar? It looks it to me but I wanted to be sure and see if others have experience?
4) As far as Filters, is there a prefered filter or just any old filter is good enough as long as it's new?

I'm planning to place an order today for Gasket and Filter, but I wanted to get these cleared up beforehand.

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
your jeep dealer will get you the correct part# and part.

be sure to TORQUE fasteners to spec.

Unsure of quality and fitment - all the more reason to see local friendly jeep dealer - price ? their filter/gasket lasted @19 years and @230k miles...

#3 ·
That is the correct part number. Replace it.

Crown does a pretty good job. I doubt you would have trouble with it.

Consider a new pan with a drain plug: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-8...rd_wg=SYinu&psc=1&refRID=NWKWT05EDNMBY0PXKFJA

If you get the new pan, remember to swap over the magnet.

As for filter, I usually get wix, but it shouldn't really matter. If you do end up at the dealer for the gasket, just pick up a filter at the same time.

Remember to use ATF+4. Pay close attention to what else is mixed in with your old fluid. This will help tell you the health of your transmission.

#4 ·
I usually get the filter from Napa or Pepboys. They are generally under $10. If they come with a cheap gasket I just throw it away and use the Mopar one. I recently picked a Mopar gasket up from the dealer for my new ZJ. It was $25 and some change after tax. I didn't need a part number I just told them the year and engine.

Expect to see quite a bit of friction material and a few shavings, its normal. My daily ZJ had a healthy handful of friction material and about one hand worth of nail clipping sized bits of metal. Its still shifting fine.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Yeah so I called around my local dealerships. Only one which has Filter and gasket wants to charge me $40 and change for it.

Or I could buy This Filter Gasket combo from Amazon for like $25

Yeah no I like saving pennies. Thanks guys for confirming. Next question: As far as fluid goes, everywhere I've read says that if I'm just dropping the pan to change filter and bands, add 5qts of fluid and top as necessary while in N and up to temp. This correct?

Additionally, I don't need to worry about avoiding any particular ATF+4 brands, right? As long as it's ATF+4? Cause a gallon jug from Walmart is cheap and can save me pennies.

#7 ·
No need to get the filter from the dealer. Only the gasket.

If you leave the pan off overnight and let it drip you need more like 5 but generally with just dropping the pan you need 4 (I'd still buy 5 or 6).

ATF+4 has such strict requirements they are all identical. The cheapest I've found is supertech brand from walmart.

#8 ·
I’ve ended up putting 7 or more in mine before. Two gallons and you’ll be safe.

#12 ·
Big +1 on the mopar gasket. I made the mistake of using a thin one that came with the Wix filter - leaked like crazy, had to do the whole thing again with mopar. (I also flattened my pan flange with a flashlight underneath and a piece of wood and a mallet.) I have a question about the pans though: does anyone know which Dorman pan fits the 46re? I had called Dorman and they weren’t even able to give me an answer. Is it the 839? Also, on the aluminum Summit pan, did you have to buy the filter extension to make up for the deeper pan? Still would like to buy one with a plug. Hopefully this is not hijacking OP

#13 ·
The 46re takes a different shape pan. I've got this one on my 46re from the niner: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-1009r

The aluminum pans are deep pans when installed on the transmission they're spec'd for. An a904 in the case of the 42/44re and the 727 in the case of the 46rh/re. Our transmissions have a pan that is already 2qts deeper than their ancestors to accomodate the OD unit. Basically, a deep pan for a 727 is a normal depth pan for a 46re, but still a little better capacity than stock.

The aluminum pans actually come with a filter and an extension, the filter is good, the extension wouldn't fit anyway.

#15 ·
Im almost certain I bought mopar 'kits' from ebay that came with the filter and mopar gasket for both my 42re and 46re...

Edit: looks like you found one on amazon.

#16 ·
I'll also recommend the Mopar gasket. It seals perfectly without a lot of fuss and the bolts torque to spec. With the rubber or fiber gaskets torquing the bolts to spec would compress them too much so I'd have to eyeball the amount of gasket squish to get a good seal. I've reused that Mopar gasket three times now and it still seals. That's already a cost savings over the non-reusable gaskets.

#18 ·
If the picture is to be trusted, that’s a 44re pan and won’t fit a 46re.

#20 ·
Much obliged for all the help guys.

I'm waiting till tomorrow to actually order the supplies seeing as I get paid.

I've no desire or real need to replace the trans pan at the moment. Visual inspection of the outside shows it's still level and not dented/cracked/damaged in any way. Maybe down the line I will, but at the moment I just wanna do a minor fluid exchange, filter change, and band tightening.

I'll take photos when I actually go to do the procedure. Hopefully in the coming weeks now that we're getting nice warm weather. But that also requires no rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.