• 1 Post By Timo_90xj
  • 3 Post By Timo_90xj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
dlk59
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Lower control arm

Looking through the forums today I noticed the lower control arms on another ZJ. I then referenced my maintenance manual. I believe that some time in the past my lower control arms were installed upside down. U portion is facing down. Has anyone else ever seen this? Vehicle tracks great, steering is good, etc... Is this anything to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
dlk59
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Let me clarify a bit --- installed with U down ---- manual shows a solid bar not a rolled steel U with flanges ones on truck. Looking at it it looks like it might hold mud where as if flipped over it would not. Do not know if these are original or aftermarket (no lift). Parts for sale look like what is installed - are not designated Left or right.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lower control arm.pdf (854.0 KB, 13 views)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 02:27 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Factory arms are stamped steel u shapes like what you're describing. The manual doesn't show the detail, but the top of the arm should basically look like the picture. The open side should be down towards the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 02:31 PM
yjsaabman
1930 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Factory arms are stamped steel u shapes like what you're describing. The manual doesn't show the detail, but the top of the arm should basically look like the picture. The open side should be down towards the ground.
This. Stamped steel is the norm. It's cheap and it's strong enough for basic use.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 05:21 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

They fold like paper on any hard surface off road...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 06:46 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yup

The front uppers are worse, bend then fatigue and break.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 10:33 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
As mentioned, all eight OEM control arms are stamped/ pressed steel, U- shaped. Installed with the solid side up, open down. Yes, they fold like a taco if you go wheeling. They work for light wheeling on stock- height Jeep, that's about it.

That being said, the OEM control arms are actually supposed to fold like that - in an accident folding prevents the arms from penetrating into the cabin, or somewhat prevents them from getting into gas tank. In smaller accidents like driving into a ditch, the arms fold instead of bending the frameside brackets.
With aftermarket arms, all sorts of funky things can and do happen when the arms will not fail and the weak link is elsewhere in the suspension.
yjsaabman likes this.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2021, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
dlk59
1993 ZJ 

Garage
As they look relatively new (compared to rear), still mostly black, no bends or visible damage like in kg6mov pics, or drivability issues ----- I guess I will spend a day this weekend swapping them correct side up (if bushings look good still). My ZJ is a nice old stock equipment ride with light off-road use, but I'd hate for winter slide into the ditch or curbs to damage the attachment points. Thanks for the feedback and discussion!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Remember to tighten all CA bolts with the full weight of vehicle on axles, suspension at ride height.
If you tighten them when axles are drooping, CA bushings are binding and under rotational tension at ride height -> they will fail fairly quickly.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in