Low rumble/vibration turning at low speeds - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrcromwell

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Recently my ZJ has started to rumble/vibrate when turning slowly. It seems to be most noticeable if the jeep has been sitting overnight or sat for a few hours while I’m at work, and it happens going forward or in reverse, and on gravel or pavement. It seems to operate smoothly once It has driven a couple of miles. This all started after returning from the mountains and hosing off the mud on the underside. I did spray the knuckles / u-joints pretty good from the front / back, then let the jeep sit for about 12 hours before going to work in the morning. Maybe water got into the u-joints and corroded the needle bearings while it sat overnight?

It feels similar to knobby tires rubbing on the unibody, but I have trimmed bumper/fender liners, and flattened the pinch welds. This just started a couple weeks ago and I have had the 32” BFG M/Ts on for several months. I have also visually inspected the front end while the wheels were turned lock to lock several times and there is no contact being made anywhere, and no movement from track bar / bracket or anything else unusual. Everything (except steering linkage) on the front end has around 15,000 miles on it, including ball joints, u joints, control arms, track bar, a new crown steering gear, and the HP30 which was re-geared / rebuilt. The steering linkage has closer to 35-40,000 miles (Crown HD) and has been greased regularly with synthetic grease and shows no unusual movement and feels tight.

Things I have checked / done:

-Visually inspected the front end while the wheels were turned lock to lock several times (Nothing unusual)

-Jacked up the front end and spun the tires while turning them back and forth looking at the u-joints. (Smooth operation / no movement)

-Pried the u joints with a prybar (No movement)

-Re-torqued motor mounts (slightly loose)

-Re-torqued steering box (slightly loose)

-Greased ball joints

-Greased endlinks / front and rear swaybars

-Greased steering linkage

After doing all this last night the vibration was just as bad pulling out of my driveway this morning (if not worse). Even though u-joints visually look fine and have such low miles that is the main suspect in my mind. Any input would be appreciated as I’m worried it could be something more serious / dangerous.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Does the behavior come from the front, or the rear, or can't tell ?

Does it have Limited Slip rear differential ?

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Does the behavior come from the front, or the rear, or can't tell ?

Does it have Limited Slip rear differential ?
I feel it through the steering wheel mostly, but can’t pinpoint if it’s from the front / rear.

Yes - there is a TrakLok in the 8.8 that got new clutches 15k miles ago when it was rebuilt / re-geared and swapped into the ZJ. Its running Lucas full synthetic and I added ford motorcraft friction modifier. The behavior only started about 50 miles ago and also happens when on loose gravel.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18

post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
jrcromwell
1998 ZJ 

Which Transfer case are you running? Forgive me if I missed it in the original post. I would remove the front drive line and see if the problem goes away.

I can tell the difference from a rear limited slip shot and say a 249 viscous couple shot.

I would isolate front from rear first then go from there.
Benthal8 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcromwell View Post
Which Transfer case are you running? Forgive me if I missed it in the original post. I would remove the front drive line and see if the problem goes away.

I can tell the difference from a rear limited slip shot and say a 249 viscous couple shot.

I would isolate front from rear first then go from there.
242. I will be pulling the front shaft ASAP.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in