Looks like someone took a dump in my radiator / coolant - JeepForum.com
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
IMMORTEN
Registered User
 
IMMORTEN's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Posts: 140
Garage
Looks like someone took a dump in my radiator / coolant

This canít be good, can it?





I have never seen this before in any of my cars.

Radiator was replaced like a year ago or so by the previous owner, so itís pretty new.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMMORTEN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 02:27 PM
zjosh93
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,708
What kind of anti-freeze/coolant did they use? Looks like corrosion. Might need more coolant.

Might also check to see if you're getting stray voltage in your coolant. Easy to do with a multimeter. Just put the negative lead on the battery negative post and put the positive lead in the coolant. Should be less than 0.3 or 0.5 volts IMS. Any more and you need to fix your engine grounds.
zjosh93 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 PM
RedZeeJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
I've only seen this kind of thing on GM vehicles with Dex-Cool. Either the coolant is left untouched for many, many years or is mixed with regular ethylene glycol (traditional green coolant). I don't think either of these is your issue to be honest.

None the less, at this point I'd perform a coolant flush at the very least.
RedZeeJay is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
IMMORTEN
Registered User
 
IMMORTEN's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Posts: 140
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
What kind of anti-freeze/coolant did they use? Looks like corrosion. Might need more coolant.



Might also check to see if you're getting stray voltage in your coolant. Easy to do with a multimeter. Just put the negative lead on the battery negative post and put the positive lead in the coolant. Should be less than 0.3 or 0.5 volts IMS. Any more and you need to fix your engine grounds.


I havenít got a clue to honest about what and how much coolant they used.

Thanks for the tip about the voltage, Iíll check that



Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeeJay View Post
I've only seen this kind of thing on GM vehicles with Dex-Cool. Either the coolant is left untouched for many, many years or is mixed with regular ethylene glycol (traditional green coolant). I don't think either of these is your issue to be honest.

None the less, at this point I'd perform a coolant flush at the very least.


Thereís a high possibility of that, because they donít sell the Green coolant over here.

https://www.thansen.dk/bil/olie-og-k...d/n-495911436/


They only sell the red, yellow and blue kind, and by the looks of it they have used the red kind because the overflow tank has red coloring all over it.

So this raises my next question; which of the coolants can I use as an alternative to the green kind of coolant?

Red, yellow or blue kind?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMMORTEN is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 07:21 AM
V8GCZJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 189
What is in it now? You have rust in the cooling system probably because the previous owner had a leak and he just added water. Do a good flush and put in the red/orange antifreeze(dex cool or better) and you'll be fine.



https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/0...of-antifreeze/
V8GCZJ is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 AM
ScowHound
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 12
may be corrosion too, but could be a huge dose of "Bahrs Leaks" or whatever they call it these days.
ScowHound is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 07:54 AM
RedZeeJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMORTEN View Post
I havenít got a clue to honest about what and how much coolant they used.

Thanks for the tip about the voltage, Iíll check that







Thereís a high possibility of that, because they donít sell the Green coolant over here.

https://www.thansen.dk/bil/olie-og-k...d/n-495911436/


They only sell the red, yellow and blue kind, and by the looks of it they have used the red kind because the overflow tank has red coloring all over it.

So this raises my next question; which of the coolants can I use as an alternative to the green kind of coolant?

Red, yellow or blue kind?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll let someone smarter than me answer on the type of coolant that is best to use in place of the traditional green stuff. I would definitely recommend flushing out the system good.

Just for comparisons sake, here is a photo from an Chevrolet Impala that had Dex-Cool congeal up and create a similar situation. This wasn't my vehicle so I really don't know if they mixed coolants, but that was the story they told me.

Best of luck!1555767945-picsay.jpg
IMMORTEN likes this.
RedZeeJay is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler
 
Cutlass327's Avatar
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beach City
Posts: 6,423
I'd hazard to guess that someone dumped some sort of stop-leak into it, especially you say they replaced the radiator - stop-leak to get them home, then install the new part.



I will say though, my wife's 06 Liberty has that kind of mess going on, but it is reddish, like the coolant Chrysler put in from factory was getting crusty.



Put some washing soda in there, add water, and run it up to temperature for a while. Drain that, flush it, and refill with fresh good quality red.
IMMORTEN likes this.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cutlass327 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
IMMORTEN
Registered User
 
IMMORTEN's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Posts: 140
Garage
Okay wow that was an interesting discovery I just made.....it was ALL rusty water in the system.....not a single drop of coolant in the system at all

Just look at this:


Look at all this rust gathered at the bottom:




I replaced it with the red coolant as it looks like it was previously used on my Jeep


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMMORTEN is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
IMMORTEN
Registered User
 
IMMORTEN's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Posts: 140
Garage
I appreciate the kind help by the way

The Jeep community is really an amazing group of kind and helpful people compared to many other car communities out there.

I must say; the Jeep community by itself really makes it a pleasure to own a Jeep

Almost makes me not want to any other car brand for the rest of my life


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedZeeJay likes this.
IMMORTEN is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM
klaxmaster
Registered User
 
klaxmaster's Avatar
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Jose
Posts: 51
Glad you discovered what it was.

My buddy and I had a similar experience with his mid 2000's impala with dex-cool. He got an oil change and the place topped off his coolant, but used regular ol' green. within 2 weeks, it looked like someone had eaten chipotle and taco bell for a month straight and then unleashed the contents of their bowels straight into his radiator.

And somehow that doesn't sound as bad as having 100% rust water run through your engines cooling system. o.O I'd check your water pump and theromstat, and consider replacing all your hoses.

If it ain't broke, fix it with a larger part.
klaxmaster is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 02:20 PM
Bmann412
Senior Member
 
Bmann412's Avatar
1930  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mars
Posts: 840
Garage
Not to hijack this thread.but I am having a similar issue with the motor I swapped in to my Jeep. I have flushed the system twice but still end up with brown/ goopy coolant. Should I not be using the green colored coolant? I checked the coolant with a multi meter and it tested fine. It has a new thermostat,heater core,water pump and radiator and all new hoses.

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK
Bmann412 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM
RedZeeJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmann412 View Post
Not to hijack this thread.but I am having a similar issue with the motor I swapped in to my Jeep. I have flushed the system twice but still end up with brown/ goopy coolant. Should I not be using the green colored coolant? I checked the coolant with a multi meter and it tested fine. It has a new thermostat,heater core,water pump and radiator and all new hoses.
In my experience that goopy, clumpy stuff is hard to get out. On the Impala I encountered it on, we ended up flushing the system out a good 6-7 times. Yeah, seems excessive, but that's what we had to do to get the fluid even remotely free of "goopy-ness".

It should be mentioned that we used a radiator / coolant flush product from Prestone and distilled water for the majority of the flushes to save from wasting a ton of coolant.

Just my .02...
RedZeeJay is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Bmann412
Senior Member
 
Bmann412's Avatar
1930  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mars
Posts: 840
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeeJay View Post
In my experience that goopy, clumpy stuff is hard to get out. On the Impala I encountered it on, we ended up flushing the system out a good 6-7 times. Yeah, seems excessive, but that's what we had to do to get the fluid even remotely free of "goopy-ness".

It should be mentioned that we used a radiator / coolant flush product from Prestone and distilled water for the majority of the flushes to save from wasting a ton of coolant.

Just my .02...


Thanks for the quick reply. I will take you advice and pick up a couple bottles of coolant flush. Hopefully I can clear it all out. I am sure it is not good to have that stuff in the system.

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK
Bmann412 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 PM
RedZeeJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmann412 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take you advice and pick up a couple bottles of coolant flush. Hopefully I can clear it all out. I am sure it is not good to have that stuff in the system.
The owner of the Impala had found this YouTube video which we "loosely" followed a bit... Your mileage may vary with this video, but I'll link it here just in case...


Best of luck!
RedZeeJay is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Fix or dump ernestoc33 Grand Cherokee General Discussion 1 04-18-2019 07:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome