Looking for a new-to-me jeep... HELP! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
snyper82

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Looking for a new-to-me jeep... HELP!

I have a low budget of cash to spend on my next ride; I've sorta narrowed it down to these, but I'm in no hurry so if I should just hold out for womthing else that is also an option.

In my list are the following all are relatively rust free and decent interiors based off pics (in no order):

- 98 XJ SE Sport - $4K - 176K mi - 4.0 - black - looks to be in great shape - not seen yet
- 97 ZJ Laredo - $4K - 101K mi - 4.0 - red - like new, used to pull behind RV - new tranny 40K miles ago - not seen yet
- 02 WJ Laredo - $4K - 172K mi - 4.0 - red - looks good - lifted with 3" rough country, selec-trac - not seen yet
- 00 WJ Limited - $3.5K - 158K mi - 4.7 - blue - it's decent, rides well, has leaks (anti-freeze drip and power steering seepage), plenty of power still, quadra-trac - seen

What would you consider and what would you stay away from?
What would you suggest looking for (issues) in these?
I consider myself very thorough already but I eat up tips and tricks and we never stop learning.

**Cross-posted to related model forums.

Attached Thumbnails
98-XJ.jpg   97-ZJ.jpg   02-WJ.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 09:55 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
XJ - No immediate concerns. Crap ton of after market. Interior can be a but cramped.
XJ - What transfer case is in it? Potential for accelerated tcase wear due to tow behind. ZJs dont get the love that XJs do. Does have more interior room than the XJ.
02 WJ - Rough Country lifts are (in my opinion) the cheapest lift design wise and every one I have been in rode like crap.
00 WJ - The 4.7 leaking coolant worries me. If its a freeze plug you can get to all but 1 as it sits. The last one you have to pull the trans to get to. The 4.7 has VERY litte aftermarket support and if it over heats its almost guaranteed to warp heads

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
snyper82

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Good to know. I'm leaning towards the WJs, but I love the look of an XJ. I had a WJ but never got rid of the DW before I sold it, I enjoy modifying my rides, even if they are just going to be mall crawlers.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1998 Black XJ - Stock, for now...

post #4 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 11:09 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper82 View Post
Good to know. I'm leaning towards the WJs, but I love the look of an XJ. I had a WJ but never got rid of the DW before I sold it, I enjoy modifying my rides, even if they are just going to be mall crawlers.

Im a huge fan of the square body XJ look but I enjoy the extra interior space had with the ZJ. The WJs are nice but the body is too round for my taste.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 03:11 PM
nhcd538

1996 ZJ 

Just my opinions, but I guess that's what you wanted. I've personally owned each of these vehicles (well not these particular ones), and I know my way around them.

Stay away from the 4.7L. Good engines in their late model years 2008+ but not at all so before that. Prone to sludge buildup and inefficient. I had an 02 Liberty with the 3.7 (same architecture as the 4.7 with 2 cylinders lopped off) and I replaced it THREE times due to them self grenading. At the time their was a shortage of good used replacements because everyone was having the same problem. Do some research on the 3.7/4.7 and you can see for yourself.

The XJ looks OK but if you can swing a ZJ or WJ for the same money, it's a no brainer - do it.

The ZJ looks real good to me.

The 4.0L WJ would probably be my pick for the money, plus it looks VERY clean. Tried and true, bulletproof drivetrain just like the ZJ but with more creature comforts and a better sorted suspension.

The ZJ and the WJ would probably have the same problems anyway. Blend doors, wiring issues, typical ZJ/WJ stuff. If you can get the clean WJ for the same money as the ZJ, that's what I'd do. Leave the XJ and the 4.7 WJ in the rearview mirror.

1996 ZJ 5.2
*Disclaimer - I've probably had a few beers
post #6 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 07:49 PM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
.. I'm Also say stay away from any 4.7L .I WORKED FOR CHRYSLER from about 2001 to 2010 or 11.
I bought a new Durango every 2 years .. But as fast as my 4.7L got too 35000 mile I traded it off fast.
WE HAD SO MUCH VALVE TRAIN ISSUES & eVERYONE NEEDED A NEW MOTOR .
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
snyper82

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I'm meeting the guy with the XJ sometime this week; he's flexible on the price. If the ride is too rough on the XJ, I'll go look at the ZJ next, but I'm not in it every day, mostly my ride is to giv myself + a kid or 2 transport across town.

I've been looking around, and the XJ is really appealing to me, I've always liked the look when they are lifted and aggressive.

Finding a decent 03-04 WJ 4.0 is really difficult right now anyways, they are all crazy high mileage, 2wd (can convert), or 4.7s
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 06:51 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

The XJ or ZJ, keep in mind later 4.0s had trouble with head cracks, that put a/f in the oil and will ruin bearings, if not fixed promptly. Both check carefully for rust, in the ZJ pop off those plastic door threshold plates and look inside the rockers for rust flakes etc. Check all suspension attachment points on the body and axles, floor under pass front seat by the heat shield for the cat converter.
My vote is for the ZJ or XJ since those years of the 4.0 had the original head not prone to cracks. If rust free or minor rust they could be good for a long time.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 08:30 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

Don't discount the 4.7. My folks have over 300K on theirs with no problems other than it burns about 1 qt of oil every 5K or so. Dad maintains it fairly well.

Only time he did have trouble was because he never changed the spark plugs and when he finally did the electrode was worn down to the insulator.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #10 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
snyper82

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Bought the XJ, thanks guys for all the input. Time to start my shopping list!

1998 Black XJ - Stock, for now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in