Looking For Another ZJ & Could Use Your Opinions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Not-Far-From-Pa

Looking For Another ZJ & Could Use Your Opinions

So after our 5.9 purchase... the entire family has fallen in love with the ZJ's (I already was)

My wife just can't believe how nice they look & drive for something so inexpensive

Both the kids love them... Pretty sure I won't get the 5.9 back from my daughter, and I could probably sell her VW Cabrio & she wouldn't complain (minus it WAS her 1st car)

So I have started to look for the next ZJ for the boy... (got his permit in November)

What would you buy... I have found a few that interest me...
I'm only looking at 96-98 Limited (No Laredo) 5.2, or 5.9

Not specific, just a quick run down
1- Found 2 that seem to run good & both need 44re (both under $1k)

2-There are MANY in the 1300-2000 range, which seem to be running fine, but most likely need nickel & dimes invested as it's obvious they are just "cars" & not enthusiast owned..

3-Or just step up & spend more than what most are going for, and try for a lower mile seemingly better condition rig (but let's face it.. low miles now still have 100k+)

I CAN wrench, & although no professional, can do repairs that probably 95% of the nation wouldn't have a clue as to what they are doing
Have access to a full shop, & a co-worker is a Jeep guy as well, & he's done ALOT of Jeep swaps & mods.. Mostly for off road only, but we both know our stuff

Obvoiusly, I'd like to find another 5.9, but the pickens are slim...

Will give 2 examples..
#1- Local.. Low mile (120k) owned for 4 years, driven 5K miles..
Runs & drives GREAT, EVERYTHING seems to work.. Heated seats, HVAC, VIC, etc etc..
Body isn't PERFECT, but might clean up pretty good with a dentless repair or 2.. some chip repair, and a PROFESSIONAL detail.. Honestly it's hard to tell because of the winter weather...
This one kills me as it has 2" spacer lift & BRAND NEW tires that are both too aggressive & too big
Otherwise I might have already brought it home
$4000

#2 Not so local (2.5hrs)
Owned 2.5 years, bought from original owner, but was purchased thru insurance as branded due to theft... They took it joy riding & paint was scratched up pretty bad... (have pics) looks fine now
Runs & drives fine, A few of the common problems (VIC, Noisy seat, etc etc)
Doesn't have the OEM wheels...
$2350

What do you all think?
I do have about a year, but would like to find one sooner than later, so the boy can learn on his own rig & my wife & I can feel confidant when we turn him loose (we did the same with his sister)

Sorry for the long winded post...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 11:13 AM
nicyousuckk
1998 ZJ 

4K is a bit too much in my opinion for a 5.9 that isn't absolutely perfect. 3500 for an all stock one is about as much as I'd be comfortable spending.

Factory correct 5.9 wheels can be had for about 3-5 hundred for a set with tires. So if that's all that concerns you with the second one, I'd seriously consider that one, depending on the mileage.

Any of these jeeps you find are going to need some work. They're simply too old to be fresh in every aspect unless the PO spent a ton of a money recently.

A 5.9 is definitely worth the extra. 5.2 Limited's are nice and all, but they're simply not special and don't command the premium. I've had (2) of each, and have never regretting spending the bit extra for a 5.9.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Not-Far-From-Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicyousuckk View Post
4K is a bit too much in my opinion for a 5.9 that isn't absolutely perfect. 3500 for an all stock one is about as much as I'd be comfortable spending.

Factory correct 5.9 wheels can be had for about 3-5 hundred for a set with tires. So if that's all that concerns you with the second one, I'd seriously consider that one, depending on the mileage.

Any of these jeeps you find are going to need some work. They're simply too old to be fresh in every aspect unless the PO spent a ton of a money recently.

A 5.9 is definitely worth the extra. 5.2 Limited's are nice and all, but they're simply not special and don't command the premium. I've had (2) of each, and have never regretting spending the bit extra for a 5.9.
Nic, Thanks for the reply!
I'm really leaning towards another 5.9, & the 2nd 5.9 from above, not only the wheels...
The salvage title bothers me more, even tho the rig itself if 100% fine (just me I guess)

I figure ANY ZJ I pick up will need some sort of work to be to my standard...
Just trying to avoid all I can!!

post #4 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 12:08 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Salvage title would deter me if it was going to be a street rig. Doubly so if I thought I ever might want to sell it.

I've noticed 5.9 wheels are getting harder to find, I payed $100 a wheel when I needed two.

If you have time to wait out the market for the right one to pop up you can find something very nice, time is money, so if you can't get a niner you want with money, you're just gonna have to give it time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Not-Far-From-Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Salvage title would deter me if it was going to be a street rig. Doubly so if I thought I ever might want to sell it.

I've noticed 5.9 wheels are getting harder to find, I payed $100 a wheel when I needed two.

If you have time to wait out the market for the right one to pop up you can find something very nice, time is money, so if you can't get a niner you want with money, you're just gonna have to give it time.
KG,
Agreed, the branded title is a problem. .
And you are right, time most certainly is on my side...
I'm just not very patient!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 PM
nicyousuckk
1998 ZJ 

Sorry, I must not have put 2 and 2 together with the salvage title on that second one. Yeah, definitely puts a damper on things. Regardless of how straight the rig is, most everyone will use that an excuse to offer something ridiculously low whenever you go to sell it. If its a forever vehicle, or off road only... no problem with that though. Best of luck! I've got a slick niner I'll sell for a pretty penny. :P

Or if that doesn't appeal... There's an interesting looking platinum silver 5.9 for sale here right now. 112k for a thousand dollars. "Engine bay filled with steam and then it blew up." - Second hand account from his kid who was driving the vehicle at the time.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-27-2016, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Not-Far-From-Pa

Quote:
Sorry, I must not have put 2 and 2 together with the salvage title on that second one. Yeah, definitely puts a damper on things. Regardless of how straight the rig is, most everyone will use that an excuse to offer something ridiculously low whenever you go to sell it. If its a forever vehicle, or off road only... no problem with that though. Best of luck! I've got a slick niner I'll sell for a pretty penny.

Or if that doesn't appeal... There's an interesting looking platinum silver 5.9 for sale here right now. 112k for a thousand dollars. "Engine bay filled with steam and then it blew up." - Second hand account from his kid who was driving the vehicle at the time.
Define"pretty penny"
Lol

post #8 of 17 Old 12-27-2016, 10:10 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Sounds like the efan went kaput. Mine survived blowing up like that so far...
post #9 of 17 Old 12-27-2016, 10:31 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

IF you are in an area where vehicles rust, be very careful about older ZJs. There are many places they can rust, starting with the rocker panels, and it will not show because of the plastic covers that the Laredos and 5.9s came with. Pop off the threshold plates under the doors they just pry off and look inside with a bright LED flashlight. If you see rusted flakes of old steel all over, be wary. Also look at the floor under the pass side (a/c evap leaks if not fixed will rot this out) look at the control arm mounts on the uniframe rails, etc.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #10 of 17 Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Not-Far-From-Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
IF you are in an area where vehicles rust, be very careful about older ZJs. There are many places they can rust, starting with the rocker panels, and it will not show because of the plastic covers that the Laredos and 5.9s came with. Pop off the threshold plates under the doors they just pry off and look inside with a bright LED flashlight. If you see rusted flakes of old steel all over, be wary. Also look at the floor under the pass side (a/c evap leaks if not fixed will rot this out) look at the control arm mounts on the uniframe rails, etc.
We live in the desert thankfully. ..
Rust never really an issue
But I still look

post #11 of 17 Old 12-27-2016, 10:41 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Lucky you!!!
we live in coastal Long Island, salt air and winter.
I want to go out west with my son and pick up a few late '90s jeeps, an XJ, ZJ and TJ and store them inside. Modern Jeeps just are not the same. Much harder to modify and repair.

One last thing:
safety.....there was a big news fiasco over the safety of ZJ fuel tanks. Now while the design met all standards when it was built, these were designed mostly by AMC in the late 80s as a replacement for the XJ which had the same tank design (as did the YJ and TJ).
I would tell anyone who has one, install both a trailer hitch and the factory skid if you can find one. If not aftermarket is good too. Together they really protect the fuel tank. Should have been standard....

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #12 of 17 Old 12-28-2016, 02:37 PM
digdug18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
install both a trailer hitch and the factory skid if you can find one. If not aftermarket is good too. Together they really protect the fuel tank. Should have been standard....
Not just ZJ's, this is standard on many older trucks. Because of placement of the fuel tank. The downside being if you're in a rear collision, it's much easier to sway the end rails on the frame.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 PM
nicyousuckk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-Far-From-Pa View Post
Define"pretty penny"
Lol

Haha. Well it's a set of long arms away from being something I want to keep forever. But realistically the best I could hope for is about 7k.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Not-Far-From-Pa

Quote:
Haha. Well it's a set of long arms away from being something I want to keep forever. But realistically the best I could hope for is about 7k.
Holy Crap!
WTF have your done!
Whittled an entirely new 5.9!
Wow. .. what I could build with $7k &another 5.9
Lol

post #15 of 17 Old 12-29-2016, 12:34 PM
nicyousuckk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Holy Crap!
WTF have your done!
Lol

Quote:
Holy Crap!
WTF have your done!
Lol

Haha, well considering you'd need to first buy one... a 7k all in budget IMO would result in a pretty modest ZJ. Certainly, I spend a lot on things that most wouldn't consider necessary. If all you wanted was something proficient offroad you could definitely have a nice rig for that much.

Just for laughs here's a quick rundown of mine:

98 5.9 110k
4.5" shortarm - All adj arms, bilsteins...
WJ steering swap
33x10.5 on steelies
Clayton's track bar, JKS mount
Rear bumper / tire carrier
Lightforces and LED aux lights
Aux tranny and P/S cooler
2 X2 G31 AGM Batteries
OBA
Massive amounts of stereo work
Integrated garmin GPS

And of course tons of maintenance.

At last count I've got almost 18k into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in