Long time wheeler first time Jeep owner! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
xdaily
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Long time wheeler first time Jeep owner!

Hey guys. Ive been 4wheelin Broncos for over 20 years now and I was looking for a beater to make trails with in the woods behind my house when I came across this 93 Grand Cherokee on Facebook Marketplace for $500 and said wth!

Ive been using the truck (can I call it a truck?) for a few weeks now and I really like it! Got it stuck a few times during trail cutting duties but all in all its a fun 4x4. My biggest problem with it is the tires rub like crazy! Yesterday I installed front coil spring spacers ($30 and 2 hours win win) and it helped with the rub but didn't fix it. My question is can I stack spring spacers and how much lift front and back can I put on before getting into driveshafts, brakelines and draglink/pitman arm binding? Keep in my this is a trail duty only vehicle.
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
JeepPreLift.jpg   Coil_Spacers.jpg   JeepPostLift.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You don't really want to stack spacers, you'll have coil retention issues quick. For budget lifts you can do things like putting stock front springs in the rear for a 3.5" or so lift.

Your major rub is probably the control arms, you either need wheel spacers or different BS wheels to fix that.

Stock control arm geometry starts to suck at 3". You need at least adjustable track bars at that height or your axles will be really off center. You also want to start thinking about adjustable control arms as the stock ones are weak sauce.

Stock steering linkage doesn't bind up to 6" or so, more than you're likely to have on stock axles. You should grab the linkage from a V8 though, it's stronger. Driveshafts are good up to 6" or more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
xdaily
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Thanks for the reply! Yes I spent some time reading and have 2" wheel spacers sitting in my cart on amazon right now. Also I have a parts jeep that Ill be stealing the front springs out of for the back of this one.

93 Grand Cherokee 35" tires 2" front coil spacers
90 Bronco 42" Swampers

post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 01:19 PM
ZJosh
1997 ZJ 

What size are those tires? Looks to be too big even with the spacers. That's the rub issue there.

30s or 245/75/16 max on stock height.
31s with 2-3", 33s with trimming
35s with5.5+ with cutting fenders

WHEEL ON CATCH YOU ON THE TRAILS.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
xdaily
1993 ZJ 

Garage
35s lol. They came with the Jeep. I agree not the previous owners best choice. Ive considered posting them up in a few places for trade for smaller but I want to see what I can do cheap first to minimize rub.

90 Bronco 42" Swampers
post #6 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 11:19 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Jesus, 35's?

You can't be on stock control arms . . . are you?

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
xdaily
1993 ZJ 

Garage
As far as I know the whole thing is stock and is all original with 246k on the odo

In fact this weekend when doing the lift I noticed the front passenger side control arm isn't connected at the diff.

90 Bronco 42" Swampers
post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 12:04 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Eeek, yeah definitely want to get some stronger control arms under there.

Stock ones have a tendency to do this:

The core 4x4 stuff is, well it's crap, but it's strong crap and all you need for a trail pig on the cheap. Of course there are better options out there.

Quote:
post #9 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
xdaily
1993 ZJ 

Garage
haha yea I looked at those things. Stock ones are really just sheet metal.

90 Bronco 42" Swampers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in