Lifted Jeeps and Coil Spring Angle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
firebane
1998 ZJ 

Lifted Jeeps and Coil Spring Angle

So I got to thinking about after lifting our Jeeps that either with short or long arms one of the options we have is to set the length and where the axle sits in relation to the wheel wells. I also know that the majority of manufacturers suggest a "length" to be close or the same as what OEM would be.

With that said I know that coil springs at a angle of | is bad .. and I also know that coil springs of an angle like / is bad too.

Has anyone played around with coil spring angle to see how it affects ride quality and if it can make it worse or better? I know there is caster as well and pinion angles, but at this moment just thinking out loud when it comes to the spring angle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 03:04 PM
CatSplat

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebane View Post

With that said I know that coil springs at a angle of | is bad .. and I also know that coil springs of an angle like / is bad too.
That's news to me. I know for coilovers you usually want a bit of inboard angle so they approximately match the suspension arc, never heard anything like that for standard coil springs as they're not pin-mounted. Do you have any info about that?

1994 5.9L ZJ | IRO 5.5" CPLA | NP242 | 33" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
The Jeep of Theseus
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
firebane
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
That's news to me. I know for coilovers you usually want a bit of inboard angle so they approximately match the suspension arc, never heard anything like that for standard coil springs as they're not pin-mounted. Do you have any info about that?
My from what I've read straight doesn't allow enough compression and angled too much causes to much feedback into the body.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 06:12 PM
PartyTime

95 ZJ with 3.5" on 33s

I used adjustable control arms to set the driveline and steering angles... didnt even look at the springs while doing this, looking at them now and they aren't staight but its been this way for 6yrs and no issues on road or trial that I've ever noticed.

The only playing around I did was to dial in the drive-line and steering angles in the first few months after installing the lift, rear I didn't notice any difference. Front I felt a lot of change when adjusting the caster angle, but I don't think the springs really played a role much because the changes were mostly about steering-NOT-return-to-center and drifting a little when there wasn't enough angle. Bumps were more exaggerated on the steering wheel with less caster but more caster fixed that right away.

Maybe this spring angle thing is more of a racing application or when designing a car from scratch?
I'm sure it matters at some point but from my tinkering it takes a back seat to drive-line and steering angles since they all are fixed relative to each other on the axle.

Good topic firebane, going to put this on the old noodle and let it simmer on low... curious who else chimes in on this.
-Party Time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in