Lift Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Threadlocker

Lift Questions

Thought about searching this but sure there wouldnt be anything on it.

I have a 96 ZJ 5.2L V8 Limted. I bought this back in January. It was lifted when I bought it. Had I known more I may would have went a different route.

The tires I have are Maxxis Big horns 265/75/16 which make them 32". The jeep was lifted using the stock springs and 3 1/2" spacers which isnt too bad I guess. Heres the problem. I have been wheeling a few times but in some fairly easy terrain. This weekend I went to a more challenging area, and while I did not have any real problems I did get in one place where obviously I over extended the suspension and pulled the ball end out of the sway bar link. Loud pop!!(These are the stockers) Once that happened I realized that I had way more flex which was fine..but the Original owner had put some spring extenders in the front springs to level out the front. They are putrid looking.. Obviously the ZJ's have a bit of forward rake.. These weird lil things go in between the coils and have bolts that you can run up or down and will let you get another inch or so lift out of it. So I guess thats why they were put in to level out the stance.

When the sway bar link broke I think it allowed one of these lil extenders to move inside the coil. Now that I already went to Advance Auto and bought 2 new factory length sway bar end links the lil coil extender is hitting the sway bar. (The lil extenders also make the front springs look distorted looking which can be good. I also noticed that there are no bump stops..just the metal tube looking thing.. Note there are no spring extenders in the rear. Just 3 1/2 in spacers. and factory coils

So heres where im at. My quick fix is to loosen the lil extender.. slide it back in original position and off I go. My worry is, as im getting more confident with my ZJ I will likely do the same thing again, which makes me want to get rid of that spring set up and go with something else.

Heres the real questions

Assuming that this is a real 3 1/2 lift.. do I go with some 3 1/2 lift springs?
I measured the spacers and they are 3 1/2 in. I also measured from the center of the hub to the top of the fender lip which gives me 21 1/2 inches. if I did my homework the factory height should be 18 in.. So the difference there is also 3 1/2 inches. Am I thinking right?

What I dont want to do is raise it any higher (Dont want to have to do LCA's etc) nor do I want to sacrifice any lift that I already have.

So Im thinking buy a set of Lift springs (3 1/2) and do this the right way.

My ZJ already has new shocks etc.. I also know that I need to get some Extended sway bar links to alliviate the other problem..of popping the ball out of the Sway bar end link.

Any suggestions? Sorry for the long post, but I had to try to give as much info I had..

Thanks In advance for some advise!

Steve-O

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadlocker

Thanks for the link.. but it doesnt really answer my question. My question was if I measured right will the 3 1/2 in lift springs still keep the lift I have? Also did I measure right? The OME looks like a nice kit, in fact me and a friend installed one on his ZJ a short time ago.. Mine already has the track bar relocater brackets etc.. Im just looking at replacing springs.

Sorry if I didnt explain my issue well enough.

Thanks Again
Steve-O

post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadlocker

Anyone? Bueller?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 AM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

By the sounds of it you already ahve the correct length shocks and the trackbar relocation brackets. What I would do is grab a set of front and rear 3.5" coils from Iron Rock Offroad, a set of JKS quick disconnects for the front sway bar and a set of extended rear sway bar links. If you have a bit more cah to spend you can add lower control arms as well, that will push you over the $450 mark to take advantage of the group buy that is currently going on with IRO.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: ZJ 3.5" Front Coil Springs

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: ZJ 3.5" Rear Coil Springs

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: ZJ Extended Length Rear Sway Bar Links

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: JKS Quicker Disconnects

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Custom Control Arms
post #6 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Threadlocker

Thats what I was looking for.. Thanks!!!

Steve-O

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in