• 1 Post By Timo_90xj
  • 1 Post By LouC
  • 1 Post By Ross
  • 1 Post By greers85

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
greers85

Lift Gate Stuck

I am having issues getting my lift gate to open. I have watched a few videos and am still unsure that they know what they are doing. Can anyone lead me to a post here where there is a walk through on getting the door to open so that i can repair it.

One that stood out to me was a video where the individual pilled the license plate backing out. I have pried on mine some but it feels like it will break before letting loose. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 10:52 AM
paulvon

On my 97 I went from inside and pulled back the interior panel.

Stuck my arm inside and in the middle found something that I could pull up. It was a long time ago don't remember more.

What works for me also is to. Push the gate closed have someone click the door open button multiple times. Still holding the gate in place, pull up on the handle. Then it opens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ross likes this.

1997 ZJ 4.0 L - Upgraded to heavy 93 sway bar
2004 WJ 4.7 L - 2 1/2" lift
2011 KK 3.7 L
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 01:03 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Try pushing in the lift gate from the bottom middle on the latch area; while pushing the liftgate, pull the handle.

If you are able to open the hatch like this, do NOT close it before you adjust the latch rod. You need to remove the trim panel to gain access to it. If it's badly rusted and needs more than just adjusting, do not re-install the trim panel before you've serviced the latch system. Having the panel off, you can open the latch from the inside.
Ross likes this.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 01:33 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Try pushing in the lift gate from the bottom middle on the latch area; while pushing the liftgate, pull the handle.

If you are able to open the hatch like this, do NOT close it before you adjust the latch rod. You need to remove the trim panel to gain access to it. If it's badly rusted and needs more than just adjusting, do not re-install the trim panel before you've serviced the latch system. Having the panel off, you can open the latch from the inside.
Exactly how I fixed mine, when it was about 2 years old, (so that's 20 years ago) and adjusted it once, still works perfect now. Long Live the ZJ!
Timo_90xj likes this.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 01:36 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvon View Post
On my 97 I went from inside and pulled back the interior panel.

Stuck my arm inside and in the middle found something that I could pull up. It was a long time ago don't remember more.

What works for me also is to. Push the gate closed have someone click the door open button multiple times. Still holding the gate in place, pull up on the handle. Then it opens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
If pushing by the plate (from the exterior) doesn't work you do what paulvon suggests.

Get inside you jeep. You get about dead center on the rear panel, carefully pull it forward and get your arm down in there. Move slowly, there are rough edges. You want to feel for a threaded bolt sticking straight up. Pull it straight up and you gate should open. From the inside it should be slightly right of center.
Timo_90xj likes this.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
greers85

Thanks

I will give it a shot tonight and let yall know how it goes. Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 10:25 PM
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

I had this issue with my 98, watched several videos on removing the interior panel so that I could manually release the latch. no luck, I ended up having to cut the interior panel, and use a grinder to cut out the old latch, I removed the two bolts that hold the piece on the frame that the latch hooks onto as well. it was bad, my latch was rusted and seized in the locked position.

for now I keep the rear hatch down with a ratchet step, I cannot find any replacement latch for the ZJ other than new MOPAR brand ones. at some point ill just suck it up and spend the 100$ and get one.

build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
greers85

It is open! Thanks for all the suggestions on this.

Mine was not as easy as some i had seen in videos. I was able to get the plastic pulled back and my arm behind it however the metal rod was not as easy to pull as described. I had to drop channel locks in to be able to hold it tight enough and still had to have my wife pull on the lift gate from the outside. It finally popped open, turns out it wasn't the spring or the rod that was the issue. The plastic arm on the handle that was intended to press down and release the door had broken off. Found a replacement on amazon and it should be in soon.
Ross likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in