Jeep zj Alternator upgrade help!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-09-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
cougmyster
1993 ZJ 

Jeep zj Alternator upgrade help!!

So I have a 1993 Jeep zj with the 5.2 in it and am going to get a amp installed next week, so in preparation for that I purchased a 136 amp alternator (Stock one was 90 amp). I went to install it and everything was going smoothly but when I went to install the black box to the two little posts on the alternator (not sure what the black box is called :/) it would go on the eyelet holes but would not fully sit flush with the back of the alternator, so I went ahead and put back on the 90 amp because it didnt seem right for it to sit cockeyed on the posts. I ordered a alternator for a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee but read everywhere that all the alternators were interchangeable between the years. Any pointers would help because I dont wanna mess up the black box because it seems important.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but i'm new to working on stuff on my jeep, Thanks in advance!

part number for new alt. ( ACDELCO 3351185 )

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3202.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-09-2020, 01:33 PM
RedBolide

Glad to see you're getting into doing your own work! It'll save you a lot of money down the road. As for your alternator, from my understanding, the OEM ones are the same from 1993-1998 for the 5.2 (might be wrong). That isn't necessarily the case for aftermarket ones. The specific one you ordered says it is only made for 1997-1998. It should work just fine, but you might have some small fitment issues like you described. You can either use the one you bought and ignore the weird fitting on the posts, or order one that will specifically fit your 93. It's not going to affect the alternator's ability to function.

'03 Wrangler Sport / '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo / '90 Comanche Eliminator
post #3 of 18 Old 07-09-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
cougmyster
1993 ZJ 

Would the black box being slightly cockeyed give me problems or as long as both of the eyelets are making good connection to the posts? just trying to make sure before I go ahead with the installation, thank you btw!

post #4 of 18 Old 07-09-2020, 05:03 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougmyster View Post
Would the black box being slightly cockeyed give me problems or as long as both of the eyelets are making good connection to the posts? just trying to make sure before I go ahead with the installation, thank you btw!
If it has a good connection to the posts and is secured it will work fine. Post a photo of it hooked up.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 Old 07-09-2020, 10:30 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
The black rubbery/ plastic box has absolutely nothing inside it, so feel free to trim it or cut off. It is there to keep the wires in correct orientation.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #6 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 04:45 AM
V8GCZJ

In the pic one of the nuts is missing, There needs to be two nuts and you should check if the top of the nut is level with the outer housing. Also when changing the amp output you need to put a larger amp fuse in the engine compartment box.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 05:03 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
Also when changing the amp output you need to put a larger amp fuse in the engine compartment box.
There is no fuse for the alternator in PDC, and alternator field excitation ( = alternator output) is controlled by the PCM and it is not directly fused.
I'm not sure if the original power feed cable from alternator to PDC/ battery has a fusible link in it or not. edit: Checked the FSM, cable has a fusible link in it, but it's not replaceable.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #8 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 11:43 AM
jeepjeepster

I've often wondered about the fusible link. Does the FSM say if its sized for the alternator or if its just a one size fits all? Since the 5.9 has a 150amp alternator, I wonder if it has a unique fusible link?

You never hear of people putting a fusible link anywhere when they do the 'big 3' or whatever for mo power. I once replaced the grounds and positive cables on an old grand wagoneer and wondered if I should put an inline fuse from the alternator and from the battery... Never did and its gone now, so dont need to worry with it.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #9 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
cougmyster
1993 ZJ 

so I went ahead with yall's advice and put on the alternator this morning, and with that said it went smooth and my ZJ is charging like a champ! I appreciate everyone input. With the black box I put it on there as far as it would go and put a minuscule amount of blue lock tight on the small nuts so they wouldn't have a change of moving at all. Stays just a hair below 14 volts now and I cannot be happier for my 4 channel amp this next week, gotta have good tunes out on the trails.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
cougmyster
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
I've often wondered about the fusible link. Does the FSM say if its sized for the alternator or if its just a one size fits all? Since the 5.9 has a 150amp alternator, I wonder if it has a unique fusible link?

You never hear of people putting a fusible link anywhere when they do the 'big 3' or whatever for mo power. I once replaced the grounds and positive cables on an old grand wagoneer and wondered if I should put an inline fuse from the alternator and from the battery... Never did and its gone now, so dont need to worry with it.
Actually I am going to put something like the big 3 power upgrade on my jeep when I take it in to the audio shop, the kit i bought for my jeep was from KSuspensionfab and its a little more involved than the usual big 3 but is definitely high quality, I recommend this guy he is really nice and has pretty fair prices for what he sells. Ive been thinking about getting some 4 hole injectors from him but are they really worth the upgrade from the stock ones, idk
post #11 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 01:41 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

According to anybody who has done real dyno testing with different injectors, no, the 4 hole are not an upgrade.

Digging in my parts books, there's no separate part number for the fusible link or alternator harness based on amperage. This would imply that they used the same rating of link for all alts. Not definitive of course, as the parts book also lists things like 97 ZJ with 5.9l and 44re, /hides.

All of our jeeps (and even the mazda) have battery/alt cables made by me, no fusible links in sight.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 04:00 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I'd guess that's because the fusible link is based on the wire size not the alternator size. Typically just a section 4 wire sizes smaller than the wire it is protecting. (I remembered it as 2 but the internet says 4). IMS fusible links are a cost saving measure.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-11-2020, 09:49 AM
V8GCZJ

96 and up has the fuse witch i was referring to, Didn't notice you had a 93. The fuse amp rating is different depending on the output of the alternator. You may want to dig more into this for a 93 with the fusible link.

post #14 of 18 Old 07-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
96 and up has the fuse witch i was referring to, Didn't notice you had a 93. The fuse amp rating is different depending on the output of the alternator. You may want to dig more into this for a 93 with the fusible link.
My '98 does not have a fuse in the PDC feed terminals, nor is it mentioned in the FSM at all. Same for the '94 FSM if I'm not mistaken ('93-'95 FSM wiring diagrams are drawn by a group of idiots, it is such a mess ).

***Under construction***
post #15 of 18 Old 07-12-2020, 06:41 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
wiring diagrams are drawn by a group of idiots, it is such a mess

Couldn't agree more! You have to look a five+ different pages to trace a circuit!
From what i looked at from google the owners manual shows more than the FSM. Guess it's best to look into your year and see if you have one or not. The fusible link is the same fuse but not serviceable. I would look at the amp rating and adjust it accordingly to the output of the alternator. If the fuse is lower than the output of the(new) alternator and the output exceeds that the fuse will blow. I have read other forms on upgraded alternators(high amp outputs) and the factory fuses only can be had up to a certain amp rating. Anything over that new wiring and fuse holder is needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in