Jeep ZJ Alarm? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
LyokoWarrior
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Jeep ZJ Alarm?

Hey this is my first time in the forums so I just wanted to put that out there. So I got my Jeep (1998) with a bunch of weird issues. 2 of them I haven't been able to crack. 1. My horn stays blowing with the horn relay on. 2. All of my interior lights stay on. (Map lights, cargo light, key ring light). For the lights I removed the courtesy light relay. So now they work but only manually and will not turn on when doors are open. I checked the horn button in the steering wheel and I can hear the button when pressed so I am sure it is not stuck. I have tried pressing the cargo light and it only dims all of the lights for a second. I checked the door plungers, they are ok. I was thinking that maybe the two issues are related? You know when you lock your car and the interior lights flash for a sec and the horn sounds for a sec as well? Maybe it's stuck?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Brynjaminjones
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have no idea if this is in anyway relevant, but when I had some issues with my '98 XJ (after taking the dashboard out for a heater core replacement) it was all down to the wire from the overhead console not being plugged in to the PDC.

This caused all of the interior lights to malfunction (either stay permanently on, or not work at all) as well as issues with the immobilizer stopping the Jeep from starting. This is probably nothing like your issue, but it just reminded me of it so thought I'd share in case it was in any way helpful!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
LyokoWarrior
1998 ZJ 

Garage
I'll be sure to check that out. I'll update on it when I can

post #4 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If any of those problems could be related to your alarm malfunctioning believe I'd try to turn off/disable the alarm manually. Believe you do this by locking all the doors then manually unlocking/opening the passenger side and/or driver's side front door using your key.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
LyokoWarrior
1998 ZJ 

Garage
There's a connector colored purple and yellow near the fuses. I remember somewhere here someone mentioning it having something to do with the alarm. Would disconnecting it do anything?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Now that you mention the purple/yellow wire it makes me wonder if the previous owner was having problems with the alarm? I've seen this before where the interior lights won't go off if the alarm purple/yellow wire in the driver's side door is cut and grounded.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/p...w-wire-483522/

Believe I'd do what somebody else mentioned first and check the wires in rubber boot in the door jam to make sure some aren't cut or broken. Good luck.

post #7 of 12 Old 02-10-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
LyokoWarrior
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Thanks. Still looking around to see what it is. I looked at the rubber that is exposed when you open the driver door sending the door cables to the car. I saw that the purple and yellow cable was a little beat up. Not broken but revealed some copper. Side Note: Now that I think about it I really have never seen my car alarm engage ever. What would be the cause of that? Also found this cable tucked away on the drivers side if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2038_1486764290417.jpg  

Last edited by LyokoWarrior; 02-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Your alarm may not engage/turn on because the previous owner may tried to abort it and that's why I posted that link about the purple/yellow wire.

Believe I'd be removing the tape from those wires and see if some have exposed copper shorting to ground or each other. I have no idea what the light blue wire is, does it have a colored stripe, and what does that piece of tape say on it?

post #9 of 12 Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Think I read a while back where that wire was for electric trailer brakes or something to do with trailering.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #10 of 12 Old 03-12-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
LyokoWarrior
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Sorry been too busy to update. So I took my jeep to the mechanic and the lights still need to be looked at but he did diagnose the horn and said it was a broken clock spring. Now I am wondering if the clock spring has to do with the alarm not engaging and the lights staying on
post #11 of 12 Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
LyokoWarrior
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Sorry been too busy to update. So I took my jeep to the mechanic and still need the lights to be looked at but he did diagnose the horn and he said it was a bad clock spring. Now I am wondering if the clock spring has to do with the alarm not working and the lights staying on
post #12 of 12 Old 05-24-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
LyokoWarrior
1998 ZJ 

Garage
So at last I figured it out!!! I noticed that if I left the lights relay in instead of out the lights would stay on but would stay off in any other position in the key switch and when I opened each door they turned on the lights like normal. I also remembered how my alarm had never engaged once since I bought it. So it could not have been a short I thought. So I stopped checking for the "yellow/purple" wire to see if it was broken or causing a short but started checking the key lock cylinders to see how they were doing and then I remembered how I never looked in my passenger side door. All the original plastic and vapor shield were intact like new. So I started removing the side of plastic closest to the door lock cylinder and it turns out that it was unplugged and left in the "OPEN" position. I grabbed the connector and turned it a bit to which it was in the "CLOSED" position. I then tried locking the car and it finally armed the factory car alarm and when I unlocked it the interior lights acted as they should turning on when I opened a door and off when closed. Check your car sometimes cause instead of a short that takes forever to find especially if it does not exist it could just be an unplugged connector!!!

Tags
1998 , horn , interior , jeep , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in