Jeep Doesnt go into overdrive - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
thomashummelt

Jeep Doesnt go into overdrive

Hello everyone, i decided that after months of on and off research into why my Jeep doesnt go into overdrive, i would join this site in hopes of finding an answer. I have looked everywhere, and tried so many things with no luck.

Here are a couple facts to take note of:

1. I had my tranny rebuilt about 8000km ago (currently at 258000), and i even took it back there and asked them to look into why its not shifting to 4th gear. They couldnt figure out why, however they offered to keep checking, but it will cost me. (hell no)

2. I have replaced multiple sensors. TPS, Crank, O2, and a couple others.

2.5. It rides in 3rd gear only (100km+), never once have i had OD work

3. Its a 4L 6Cyl 1994 Select a trac.

4. When i push my O/D on/off switch while driving at 100KM, the light comes on and the RPMS drop 200-250 (from about 2900-3000RPMS) , and thats it. Why does it do this?

5. Also my transfer case does not work, i have only 2WD, i do not dare move it into 4WD because my front diff (general area) clicks and sticks so badly i feel like it will explode, and besides, the wheel doesnt even turn.

6. If anyone is able to help me fix this problem (give me the answer), i will send you a card, filled with my tears of happiness. Im not even joking, this problem is eating away at me.

7. I did call the shop that worked on it, they replaced the OD solenoid, and they said it HAS to be an exterior issue from the tranny, so a sensor or something

Last edited by thomashummelt; 05-15-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2015, 10:30 AM
vlackattack
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Normally the torque converter locks up in 4th gear (OD). When you push the OD off button, the torque converter locks up in 3rd gear. The RPM drop is the torque converter locking up. It should be doing that when you press the OD off button.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2015, 10:55 AM
329892 - Deactivated
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd check the OD on/off switch and connections. My bet is the tranny thinks you are in OD off always. There might be a signal going to the torque converter but not to the transmission.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-15-2015, 11:17 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's not the OD switch because the torque converter lock up is working.

If the TCM was locking out OD on purpose it would turn the light on to let you know, so I would think that it's a problem with the trans itself.

Have you tried the key trick to check codes? Trans codes get blinked out through the OD light IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
thomashummelt

I have a brand new TC in my tranny, and yes, it does it gave me 55, whereas the other CEL only gave me battery unplugged.

Last edited by thomashummelt; 05-15-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Tags
1994 zj , overdrive , rpm , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in